PDA

View Full Version : I've Got a Tournament Tomorrow

Lord Inquisitor
07-31-2009, 01:24 PM
So I've got a 750 point tournament tomorrow, yeah weird point cost. Its free though and you can win up to $70 in store credit. I've got two armies I'm considering.
HQ:
Command Squad- Power Fist, Melta Gun, Melta Gun. 85
Troops:
Platoon Command Squad- Melta Gun, Melta Gun. 50
Infantry Squad 1- Flamer. 55
Infantry Squad 2- Flamer. 55
Veteran Squad- Bastonne, 3 Melta Guns, Grenadiers. 190
Fast Attack:
Valkyrie- Two Multiple Rocket Pods. 130
Heavy Support:
Leman Russ- Lascannon, Heavy Bolters. 185
750 points
Now the only things I'm considering changing in this list is maybe taking out one of the Meltas in each of the Command Squads, taking the Grenadiers off the Veterans, and taking the Rocket Pods off the Valkyrie. My tactics for this army are to if I get the first turn scout the Valkyrie up 18 inches then move it 12 inches in my turn and drop the Veterans out and kill any tanks with Bring It Down, if I don't get the first turn I will scout it behind cover(because your only allowed to have your Valkyrie on the stand in the movement phase) then go after what they need to destroy. The rest of my army will be around my Leman Russ. In my other list I take out the Leman Russ, Power Fist, and some other stuff. Then put in a Leman Russ Punisher with two side Heavy Bolters and Pask. So what do you think?

crazyredpraetorian
07-31-2009, 01:35 PM
So I've got a 750 point tournament tomorrow, yeah weird point cost. Its free though and you can win up to $70 in store credit. I've got two armies I'm considering.
HQ:
Command Squad- Power Fist, Melta Gun, Melta Gun. 85
Troops:
Platoon Command Squad- Melta Gun, Melta Gun. 50
Infantry Squad 1- Flamer. 55
Infantry Squad 2- Flamer. 55
Veteran Squad- Bastonne, 3 Melta Guns, Grenadiers. 190
Fast Attack:
Valkyrie- Two Multiple Rocket Pods. 130
Heavy Support:
Leman Russ- Lascannon, Heavy Bolters. 185
750 points
Now the only things I'm considering changing in this list is maybe taking out one of the Meltas in each of the Command Squads, taking the Grenadiers off the Veterans, and taking the Rocket Pods off the Valkyrie. My tactics for this army are to if I get the first turn scout the Valkyrie up 18 inches then move it 12 inches in my turn and drop the Veterans out and kill any tanks with Bring It Down, if I don't get the first turn I will scout it behind cover(because your only allowed to have your Valkyrie on the stand in the movement phase) then go after what they need to destroy. The rest of my army will be around my Leman Russ. In my other list I take out the Leman Russ, Power Fist, and some other stuff. Then put in a Leman Russ Punisher with two side Heavy Bolters and Pask. So what do you think?

I would drop Bastonne, Grenadiers, and the power fist to add two Chimeras. That would get your Command squads mobile, one being a scoring unit. Also, I would hold the Valk in reserve and use Outflanking for objective grabbing..

Exitus Acta Probat
07-31-2009, 01:43 PM
I found pask to be disappointing.
at this point value, the carapace armour will fail you. when you don't need it, you'll wish you'd spent the points elsewhere...when you do, something else will immediately AP it out and you'll feel robbed (too much ap-4. cover is more valuable).
Punisher is great....till you hit advantageous cover (Kroot/Pathfinders) or space marines...even pask doesn't compensate for it at that point. :( (and it looked so good on paper, I wrecked a perfectly good LR converting one....much unhappiness ensued) Basic stripped russ is better for this.

Last play on that point level (in an escalation league)
I didn't lose a game with this

Command
(2x melta/1x hvyFlm)+ Chimera 145
Vets
(2x melta/1x flamer)+ Chimera 150
Vets
Vets

Vendetta 130

and 25(ish) points to play with...
it's vet spam,
it's melta spam,
and it's gitty...but in a tourney it should work.

I also played replacing the last vet squad with a stripped russ and it worked well.

(whoops, crazy got to some of my stuff first)

crazyredpraetorian
07-31-2009, 01:47 PM
I found pask to be disappointing.
at this point value, the carapace armour will fail you. when you don't need it, you'll wish you'd spent the points elsewhere...when you do, something else will immediately AP it out and you'll feel robbed (too much ap-4. cover is more valuable).
Punisher is great....till you hit advantageous cover (Kroot/Pathfinders) or space marines...even pask doesn't compensate for it at that point. :( (and it looked so good on paper, I wrecked a perfectly good LR converting one....much unhappiness ensued) Basic stripped russ is better for this.

Last play on that point level (in an escalation league)
I didn't lose a game with this

Command
(2x melta/1x hvyFlm)+ Chimera 145
Vets
Vets
Vets

Vendetta 130

and 25(ish) points to play with...
it's vet spam,
it's melta spam,
and it's gitty...but in a tourney it should work.

I also played replacing the last vet squad with a stripped russ and it worked well.

(whoops, crazy got to some of my stuff first)

Nice, I agree Pask should go, too.

Lord Inquisitor
07-31-2009, 02:10 PM
I wasn't planning on using Pask, but it was a thought. I'll give the Vet army a try in practice today. Thanks for the great comments!

victoryd5
03-08-2012, 07:27 AM
Nice list. This should do well.

chipstar1
03-08-2012, 04:31 PM
Agree with others. Ditch the special characters, ditch the powerfirst. It's 750, people can't really handle many AV12 hulls at that level.

Chexmix282
03-08-2012, 07:32 PM
What sort of heavy weapons teams do you have access to? Autocannon spam is absolutely devastating at this points level.