PDA

View Full Version : storm of magic ? 2

joescalise
07-18-2011, 06:40 AM
The new magic items in storm of magic, can you give them to a special character if they do not have a magic item of that type already.

Venerable Rhadamanthus
07-18-2011, 01:12 PM
Yep. Special characters can have these items as they are not part of a normal magic item allowance, but part of the Storm of Magic setting/scenario and are brought out specifically for such events.

Wildeybeast
07-22-2011, 03:57 AM
Yep. Special characters can have these items as they are not part of a normal magic item allowance, but part of the Storm of Magic setting/scenario and are brought out specifically for such events.

That is incorrect. Unless otherwise stated in their profile, special characters must be fielded as presented in the unit entry, with all the the equipment listed, they have no option to take additional equipment. SoM simply states that the SoM weapons are not taken as part of the normal magical items points allowance. This is because many of them are over 100 points in value, meaning that no one would be able to have them in a normal battle. This does not mean they can be given to models normally unable to wield them. For example, I cannot give the Black Book of Ibn Naggar to my Imeprial Templar Grand Master as he does not have a wizard level and so cannot use arcane items. So I cannot give it to Ludwig Schwarzhelm because even though he does not already have an arcane item, he is still unable to use them. SoM does not overrule any of the normal restrictions on magic items, all it does is specify that their points is chosen from the Magic and Monsters allowance, rather than from your normal army cost.

So, no, you cannot give SoM magic items to special characters as they cannot normally be given additional magic items.