PDA

View Full Version : Skaven 2k list, C&C very apreciated.

elmir
07-18-2011, 12:32 PM
Hey folks,

I just made the first draft of my 2k skaven list, and this is what I managed to come up with... Lemme know what you think of it:

Skaven 2000p

Grey seer: Screaming bell, Skalm: 470p

Chieftain, BSB, shield: 72p

Warlock engineer, doomrocket: 45p

Warlock engineer, lvl 1, warp-energy condensor 85p

34 clanrats, spears, shields, full command 190p
Poison wind mortar 65p

45 clanrats, shields, full command 222,5p
Poison wind mortar 65p

40 slaves, musician 82p

40 slaves, musician 82p

40 slaves, musician 82p

17 giant rats + 3 packmasters 75p

10 gutter runners, deathrunner 132p

Warp lightning cannon 90p

Warp lightning cannon 90p

Doomwheel 150p

Total: 1997.5p

Additional stats:

Model count: 236 models ---> 8.5 p/model

Points on lords: 470p

Points on heroes: 202p

Points on core: 788.5p (discounted the rats)

Points on special: 132p

Points in Rare: 330p

Cheese factor: ??? (fill in yourself, I don't want to lose any friends over this one... :P)

I insist on running the bell btw, I just love the model too damn much not to take it.

Feel free to C&C. Thanks in advance.

novatomato
07-18-2011, 01:50 PM
One point of note is that you have five rather large blocks to deal with here. You may find that you end up penning yourself in and hampering your own plans.
Just a thought to keep in mind.

elmir
07-18-2011, 05:24 PM
Yeah, this will basically be a "two wave" affair when attacking (assuming it's a very low terrain setup, heavy terrain will require some plugging of bottlenecks with slaves and then just fireing away). The slaves are meant to be the first wave, to basically draw out enemy charges (relying on the steadfast rule) and giving me one or two more turns of shooting with the cannons/mortars (using the expendable rule) and with spells.

The warplighting cannons would be deployed in between the clanrats to draw LoS over the slaveblocks and keep up firing for as long as possible. Same deal with the mortars, they'll just be lobbing over the big blocks of slaves.

The clanrat units will include the "leadership" models like the seer as general and the BSB. If I can keep my slaves nearby, they should be a tough nut to crack in one turn with steadfast/BSB/Ld10...

Flanking units will be the giant rats and doomwheel in a more "refused flank setup". It won't be a straight line when deployed. Neither clanrat units has that much hammer potential to punch through stuff... But with the slaveblocks as tarpits, coupled with the magic and artillery, I'll hopefully be able to soften up the enemy enough to give the clanrats more of a fighing chance...

Chronowraith
07-18-2011, 06:44 PM
Looks like a pretty standard Skaven list.

Personally, I'd ditch the giant rats. They don't move that much faster than normal skaven and it's incredibly easy to kill off the packmasters and then you have a unit of incredibly low leadership models that are mediocre in combat to begin with. With the points you could do one of two things, buy another unit of slaves which would actually perform better than the rats, or buy slings + poison weapons on the gutter runners.

If you do add the slings and poison weapons to the gutter runners I'd consider splitting them into two units of 5. 5 gutter runners do just great for taking out solo characters in the backfield, war machines, and even lackluster melee units (like archers, crossbowmen, etc).

For deployment consider a romanesque maniple arrangement with the slaves forming the front lines but with gaps in between that allow the clanrats the space of full frontage. This way once the slaves get locked down in combat the clanrats can still maneuver without negotiating around a unit. Your army will be spread out a little bit further but the 18" inspiring presence from being on the bell will help with this.

apahllo
08-17-2011, 07:01 PM
im totally new to the game of fantasy and i opened this thread to get a grip on what skaven lists look like before i start to craft my own. i played 40k and i was always limited by the FO chart. when i read the skaven book i got an idea of what i can take but then seeing this list and a few others i am feeling more n00bish by the second.

this is my question. the book states that you may have 2 rare units for 2k points. yet i have sen many a list that exceed this limit. for instance, this list takes 2 warpcannons and a doomwheel. in my head im thinking wtf how can this be?

so is it that the 2 cannons count as 1 rare choice???

novatomato
08-17-2011, 07:37 PM
What you are probably looking at for that 2 rares is the 7th edition manner of building an army. In eighth it is done by precentages:
max 25% spent on Lords
max 25% spent on Heroes
minimum of 25% spent on Core
max 50% spent on Special
max 25% spent on rare.

The two cannons and doom wheel total falls below the 25% for rares

apahllo
08-17-2011, 10:57 PM
What you are probably looking at for that 2 rares is the 7th edition manner of building an army. In eighth it is done by precentages:
max 25% spent on Lords
max 25% spent on Heroes
minimum of 25% spent on Core
max 50% spent on Special
max 25% spent on rare.

The two cannons and doom wheel total falls below the 25% for rares

lol... wow. this totally changes my current understanding of the game. me and my friend shared the starter and he got the rule book. thanks a ton.
i need to get my own rule book.