PDA

View Full Version : Definition of a "section" for Flamer area of affect

Rockatansky
09-04-2009, 12:14 PM
Greetings,

Of course I am at work, so I don't have the rules in front of me, but I was wondering what people were using for the definition of a "map section" for the area affected by a heavy flamer.

Perusal of other discussions past and present seems to have resolved that a section is a physical cardboard map section. Agree yes/no?

I even like the fluff argument that the cardboard edges represent the broken and debris strewn areas of the hulk that can block flames. Other interpretations wold be a hall section or a room.

I bring this up because I happened to build the first scenario map using several "1" square sections instead of a "3" square section. If the above is true I won't be doing that again unless I am playing the Genestealers. It potentially puts a strategic element into map construction. I tried to also divine a canonical set of construction rules form close examination of the scenario map. That seems possible.

Rock on,

R.

Gotthammer
09-04-2009, 01:13 PM
The board construction section at the very begining of the rulebook describes that it is made up of many board sections (indicating each tile is a section). It's not overly clear byt that is the way it was in the other editions (and was a lot more explicit in the wording of it).

So yeah, a map made of 1x1 sections would bone the flamer.

There is a strategic element to building custom maps, and even during the game - do you put the blip on the T junction so it can get one extra attack, or further back incase they flame that tile?

Rockatansky
09-05-2009, 01:30 PM
Upon careful examination of the maps in the missions book it appears there is a completely specified build for each map. Therefore there should be no ambiguity for when say 3x "1 square" sections are used to make a hallway vs. a 1x "3 square" section.

The pictures even go so far as to specify exactly which map section should be used if you want to take it to the limit.

-R

The Plastic Surgeon
09-05-2009, 08:44 PM
A section is the piece of cardboard itself to make the map and the plans are very specific in which ones you use so the missions are designed that way.

Abominable Plague Marine
09-05-2009, 09:04 PM
So yeah, a map made of 1x1 sections would bone the flamer

Hey, thats cool, I can deal with that (pretty much how I also interperated it). For me in my mind, that represents that area having functioning auto fire extinguishers, better drainage, a ruptured coolant tank etc.

As a side note, in the computer game when you fired the Heavy Flamer, it only affected the all squares infront of the Heavy Flamer for that section. Makes sense yes?

Gotthammer
09-05-2009, 10:28 PM
If you mean the PC game - if you had the flamer dude as your main guy and left clicked on the little map in th ebottom corner it would fire further forward onto the square you clicked.