PDA

View Full Version : airbrushing

Ma'rk
09-04-2009, 06:06 PM
does anybody have any advice on airbrushing. i recently got an airbrush to finish my mechanised vehicles faster, cos it takes a long time to do a land raider with a brush. i'm having some problems with paint flow. I've followed the instructions and watered the paint down, but so far i'm finding it's not spraying out much no matter how much i open the nozzle, and it's drying very quickly in the nozzle which i think is causing blockages. then i'm tearing through propellant trying to clean the airbrush all the time. could the paint flow problem be the paint is not watered enough or too much?? or perhaps it's a pressure thing? i've read that acrylics are difficult because they are prone to drying too fast. perhaps something to retard the drying speed?

any suggestions please?? :confused:

vman
09-04-2009, 06:39 PM
airbrush or GW spray brush???

If its an airbrush i would try just spraying thinner/cleaner thru it but do it outside. Also pull it aparty carefully and clean the insides it may be dirty. Most airbrushed allow you to unscrew the end and pull out the pin to do this.

If its a gw airbrush i would try and clean it as best i can and see if water sprays out of it the way you want. If it does i would suggest your paints are too thick.

vman
09-04-2009, 06:40 PM
Oh also, you need a particular pressure setting. If this is too low on your compressor, it will tend to make the paint sputter and pool

sorri
09-04-2009, 08:34 PM
If you're using propellent cans, I'd also check to see if you can use the brush with a compressor instead. It's an investment, but it will pay off in the long run -- and can be used for other things as well. :)

Siquid
09-05-2009, 12:25 AM
Make sure you clean your brush after each usage esp the nozzel. Try thinning your paints with rubbing alcohol. Get a compressor. If you are seious about learning to use an airbrush it's an investment that will pay off quickly. ESP if you are burning money on propellant cans. Plus a compressor gives you control over the psi, wich I tern givEs you better control over your flow. And practice. It takes time to get the feel of an airbrush, just like any tool

Ma'rk
09-05-2009, 12:59 AM
yeah thanks for the advice. i'm thinking the same thing. a compressor is probably the way to go, and at least then i can guarantee what pressure is coming out and that it's consistent. the airbrush is a Aztek A320 - i looked at the GW one, but it didn't look like it was built to last. i've stripped it down and given it a damn good clean out. i'll hunt around for a reasonably priced compressor. i saw a couple at a hobby shop but they were between $200 and $300.

Aldramelech
09-05-2009, 01:23 AM
Ive never had a compressor and always tins of air.......... I regret it. The money Ive spent over the years.

mchawkeye
09-05-2009, 01:48 AM
Compressor is a definite. also look to getting proper thinners and airbrush cleaning fluid...Your Aztek nozzles can be left soaking in a watered down solution of the cleaner just to keep them in prime condition (especially high use nozzles, black grey and tan as far as I'm concerned). Make sure your paint is thin enough (some say cream, others say milk, I say what ever works) and do a test piece first.

I don't know how much you know, but acrylic paint, unlike oil based enamels, has a surface tension that needs to be killed before it'll spray well. the proper acrylic thinners will do that for it, but if you don't have that, meths or some kind of alcohol will work, as will the tinniest drop of washing up liquid.

Powerslave
09-05-2009, 02:59 AM
I agree with all the above posts - you really would want to invest in a compressor - it will save you a lot of money, time and effort. The problem with canned air is inconsitency and pressure changes / temperature changes.

And also - there are Vallejo Model Air paints out there on the market. They are awesome paints - and they can be used straight out of the bottle (no need to mix with water / thinner, just load your airbrush and go) - and their colors are same as the Vallejo Model Color range. In my experience, even if you are painting a fantasy army and need bright colors, the Vallejo Model Air paints can be a good basecoat. Also, for camo or tanks, these are the best paints on the market in my opinion.

Siquid
09-05-2009, 11:18 AM
^ cept that they chip and flake

mchawkeye
09-05-2009, 11:29 AM

Really? Not so in my experience, and certainly no more than any other paint I would imagine.

Powerslave
09-05-2009, 12:07 PM
A bit of matt varnish and gloss varnish and your miniature is perfectly resistant to any problems. And that is a very small price to pay for using VMC and VMA paints (since their colors are much richer and coverage much better than GW's).

If it takes a bit of varnishing in order to use the best modelling paint (best in my personal opinion), then why not - only takes a few extra minutes.

Aldramelech
09-05-2009, 12:37 PM

So will Tamiya if you dont seal it with something.

sorri
09-05-2009, 07:35 PM
i'll hunt around for a reasonably priced compressor. i saw a couple at a hobby shop but they were between $200 and $300.

Check out a hardware store. I got mine at Home Depot or Lowes here in the states for fairly cheap, not sure what type of big box hardware stores are available down there.

Siquid
09-05-2009, 10:34 PM
Don't get me wrong, I do like vmc, but it's fustrating that it chips so easily. I often notice that it will
flake with handling whilst painting. I sand and prime and use mr surfacer 1200, but I have noticed that some colors flake very easily. But that's off subject vma colors DO work great, and the range of colors is fantastic, it's just a side note that extra care should be used if you handle your models alot while working on them.

vman
09-06-2009, 03:52 AM
yup certain vallejo colors do chips

If im correct the Vallejo Game colors were designed for minis that get handled

I have about 30 model air colors however i have yet to use them so i cannot comment

themurphyfella
09-07-2009, 04:22 AM
I picked up my compressor from these guy's.
http://stores.shop.ebay.ie/RDGTOOLS-ON-LINE_AIRBRUSH-COMPRESSORS_W0QQ_fsubZ323427015QQ_sidZ81740245QQ_t rksidZp4634Q2ec0Q2em322

Nice and reliable so far and very cheap by comparision to the stuff I saw in hobbies etc.

I did a bit of looking around and if you don't need a quiet indoor compressor then you should have a look at commercial or DIY compressors as they give more bang for the buck.

Apparently you can build a silent compressor for yourself by using the compressor off an old fridge. I skipped that idea as my mechanical skills are a bit too limited but YMMV

sorri
09-07-2009, 09:16 AM
I went with a noisy compressor (that has a storage tank built in) and a standalone tank. That way I can fill the tanks when noise isn't an issue, and have lots of compressed air for whatever I need, from topping off tires/balls/air matresses to painting minis. It's worked out well for me so far.

Kristov
09-08-2009, 12:18 AM
I have been using tamiya paints with very good success. Your pressure will vary greatly depending on your specific airbrush. Mine works very well around 12 PSI, whereas my cousin's (who has been doing cars and such) runs his around 5 psi. As far as propellant, I am not using a compressor, using my paintball nitrogen tank regulated way down. Gets me roughly an hour or so of constant use. Would recommend a compressor though, especially if you don't get free air at work.

Ma'rk
10-27-2009, 06:05 AM
I'm looking into the compressor options now. Funnily enough the commercial compressors seem way cheaper than the hobby ones. Thanks for the suggestions - all good tips!