PDA

View Full Version : Cheesey or not?

Nedark
09-04-2009, 07:44 PM
This is something that has been bugging me lately.
I just finished a game, that had originally been between me and two of my friends against another friend two and of his friends (before they decided to switch it up), and my friend had told me that they were going to saturate my front-line with orbital bombardments and scheduled bombardments. So, I figured out a way to do this. I would deploy a single land-raider crusader (in the hopes that they would use the bombardments on that) and drop-pod and deep-strike the rest of my army. Here is the list I comprised:
50 Marines: 850
-1 melta gun: 5
-5 melta bombs: 25
-5 teleport homers: 75

Nedark with honor guard: 275
-lightning claw: 15
-terminator armour: 40
-terminator armour: 160
-melta bombs: 5
-digital wepons: 10

Captain: 100
-power sword: 15
-artificer armour: 15
-Combi melta: 10
-melta bombs: 5
-digital weapons: 10

terminator squad 1: 200

Terminator squad 2: 200

Venerable dread: 165
-extra armour: 15

dread 1: 105
-assault cannon: 10

dread 2: 105
-twinlinked las cannons: 30
-missile launcher: 10

9 drop-pods: 310
-9 locater beacons: 90

Crusader: 250
-multi melta: 10
-hunter killer missile: 10

Yeah, I know I went a bit over, but everyone said it was fine and added a few extra men and some wargear.
I was going to land the pods that contained anti-armour units behind his tanks , and land my marines near his infantry. I would use the locater beacons to bring in my termies near the infantry.
I was wondering if this was a good strategy, or just plain cheese.
And for those of you who think it was cheese, and think I'm a bad person for making this list, since two people couldn't show up, and me and my friend had time to make strategies, one of the people I didn't know had decided to switch-up the teams and have it be me and him vs my friend and the other guy. The other side combined had little infantry and 13 tanks, one of which was a shadow sword. Needless to say, my drop-pod army that I packed didn't do so well...

Old_Paladin
09-04-2009, 07:52 PM
I was going to land the pods that contained anti-armour units behind his tanks , and land my marines near his infantry. I would use the locater beacons to bring in my termies near the infantry.
I was wondering if this was a good strategy, or just plain cheese.
And for those of you who think it was cheese, and think I'm a bad person for making this list, since two people couldn't show up, and me and my friend had time to make strategies, one of the people I didn't know had decided to switch-up the teams and have it be me and him vs my friend and the other guy. The other side combined had little infantry and 13 tanks, one of which was a shadow sword. Needless to say, my drop-pod army that I packed didn't do so well...

I think you've answered your own question.
You have a good mixed force, and a plan to use your strengths against a standard opponent (mixed armour and infanty).
When forced against an opponent(s) with an extreme specialty you didn't do so well.

So no, it's neither a cheesey force, nor cheesey tactics.

DarkLink
09-07-2009, 07:52 PM
Cheese is subjective anyways. Just build a balanced list like you did here, and you shouldn't get any cries of cheese. And if you do, you can probably ignore them.

Goresmack
09-08-2009, 12:26 AM
Cheese is subjective anyways. Just build a balanced list like you did here, and you shouldn't get any cries of cheese. And if you do, you can probably ignore them.

Darklink is right on the money.

As a side note to cheese being subjective, there are also times when it's okay. My buddies and I play all the time and cheese always happens, someone is going to bring the it. My personal opinion is as long as you know it's cheesey and you have no problem telling them you're playing cheese then they shouldn't have much of an issue playing against it. The reality is if you bring cheese, or that one trick pony, you can and will be beat by someone so don't worry about it too much when you're playing with friends.

-Goresmack