PDA

View Full Version : Strange situation

Aldramelech
09-05-2009, 09:08 AM
Two blokes at my club were playing WFB a little while back, Orks vs Demons, and a strange situation occurred. Now Ive been playing a long, long time and I have to say Ive never come across it and it stumped me.

Some Demon Screamers went in for a slashing attack on some Goblins, triggering the Ball and chain fanatics.

Now the rules for the Screamers say they skim over and make attacks but cant be attacked back, but the Ball and chain fanatics rule says they are triggered, move out and dish out their unpleasantness to anything they encounter.

Thoughts?

j-orge-287
09-05-2009, 09:49 AM
Hmm...
maybe you should have house rule? OR avoid charging night goblins with screamers and avoid the situation altogether.

Aldramelech
09-05-2009, 10:04 AM
I think one of them phoned the Rulz Boyz and it stumped them! lol

a ghost
09-05-2009, 11:42 AM
Well, I'd take the position of Read-as-Written. The Screamers are a flyer. Flyers move over ALL intervening models. Period. The End.

Yes, the Fanatics should be triggered when a flyer moves into range. But the Fanatics are non-flying intervening models. Just like anything else. The Screamers should only suffer an impact if they END their movement ON TOP of one of the Fanatics. In which case, you could resolve normally.

It sounds like the O&G player is trying to be a Rules Lawyer. If so, he needs to brush up.

Aldramelech
09-05-2009, 12:31 PM
Well, I'd take the position of Read-as-Written. The Screamers are a flyer. Flyers move over ALL intervening models. Period. The End.

Yes, the Fanatics should be triggered when a flyer moves into range. But the Fanatics are non-flying intervening models. Just like anything else. The Screamers should only suffer an impact if they END their movement ON TOP of one of the Fanatics. In which case, you could resolve normally.

It sounds like the O&G player is trying to be a Rules Lawyer. If so, he needs to brush up.

Not at all. The Ork player is anything but............

Im not 100% about this but are Screamers Flyers per se? Im sure I read somewhere they arnt.

At the time I read both players army books and could see no clear decision.

a ghost
09-05-2009, 01:42 PM
Not at all. The Ork player is anything but............

Im not 100% about this but are Screamers Flyers per se? Im sure I read somewhere they arnt.

Well, ok, perhaps I'm mistaken. But I think the overall issue is rather clear. If they are flyers, or even move like flyers, then the RAW conclusion that I suggested would hold water. If not, then they get impacted just like anyone else. But the idea that even a kinda-flyer would be impacted by a spinning maniac before they reach their target defies common sense.

Personally, I would've suggested a roll-off, where I one of the two players. Faster and people tend to feel things are somewhat, if not completely, fair.

Randroid
09-06-2009, 09:28 AM
I don't see the confusion here - the fanatic rule states that flyers are grounded long enough to be hit when a fanatic goes through them.

a ghost
09-06-2009, 07:33 PM
I don't see the confusion here - the fanatic rule states that flyers are grounded long enough to be hit when a fanatic goes through them.
I double checked. While it doesn't make sense to me, Randroid is correct. But, let me restate to be clear:
The Screamers fly in. At 8" out, the Fanatics are released. The Screamers land, per the Fanatic Release Rule. The Fanatics can do their best to move through the Screamers. Fanatics that succeed in reaching the Screamers would, in fact, deal their damage. When this is done, the Screamers can choose to continue their movement to the target. Now here, the movement of flyers issue would allow flyers to over any of the Fanatics that fall short.Please forgive me for thinking before reading. :rolleyes:

Randroid
09-07-2009, 08:52 AM
Please forgive me for thinking before reading. :rolleyes:

Haha ... I only remember because I think it is a silly rule they added just so Fanatics don't get screwed over by flying screeners. Imagine a flying monster or rider seeing the spinning bugger and thinking "oh man, I should land to get a closer look at this!". :)

Aldramelech
09-07-2009, 09:56 AM
Ok guys, thanks for that, that makes sense to me......... Just need to explain it to the bloody Demon player (knocks head against wall!)

Old_Paladin
09-07-2009, 07:52 PM
Haha ... I only remember because I think it is a silly rule they added just so Fanatics don't get screwed over by flying screeners. Imagine a flying monster or rider seeing the spinning bugger and thinking "oh man, I should land to get a closer look at this!". :)

I think that the logic is closer to the target of the flyers attack are only 5-6 feet tall; so, for the 'attack run' the flyer must get very close to the ground in order to strike.

Randroid
09-08-2009, 07:51 AM
Sure, whatever works. :)

Kanaellars
10-06-2009, 12:49 PM
VERY LONG ball and chain.

Yhcrana
10-08-2009, 05:44 PM
As I remember it:

1. the screamer move close to the unit of goblins.
2. at 8" away the unit has to stop and the fanatics are released as normal.
3. once the fanatics have moved the screamers can continue moving.

So if the fanatics roll an 8+ then they hit the screamers and do damage.

the fanatic rules are quite specific so they cannot be abused by flyers which are everywhere nowadays.