PDA

View Full Version : Forgeworld or Converted Vendetta?

George Labour
09-05-2009, 02:53 PM
Okay so I've finally managed to get my hand on another Valkyrie kit with another one coming next month.

Now I plan to make at least one of these a vendetta and the other a rocket pod Valk, and might try my hand at magnetizing so I could do either or. Or, just glue the rocket pods somwhere else and not caring for magnets.

But now the question is, Forgeworld makes those resin vendetta kits with a new nose sensor and three TL lascannons fitted for the proper spots. Given the current pounds to U.S. dollars exchange rates it's only five or six dollars more per kit than buying the 17 dollar Land raider terminus spure on the GW webshop.

So my question is, Who here thinks it's worth the time savings to just get the FW stuff, and avoid having to worry over cutting, sanding, and then fixing other weapons to fit into the vendetta's weapon slots?

I'm not very experience as a modeler, and really only recently began the journey into painting my army on my own. So, opinions, tips, etc etc are dearly wanted.

Also any reviews on the FW vendetta kit? Any mold problems and so on?

Erazoender
09-05-2009, 03:30 PM
My suggestion is Forge World; if you do not have much experiance with the modeling aspect then it will be easier. It's not as bad as you would think, the only trick is to make sure you clean the resin quite intesively. There is a release agent on the plastic which is a difficult surface for paint to stick on, even wtih primer. This will result in the paint flaking off.

Valdore
09-05-2009, 03:35 PM
Having done this myself, the terminus sprue gives a nice look, particularly when magnetised.

HOWEVER, if you want twin-linked lascannons on each side, you will need two terminus sprues, as the sponsons provided are single lascannon sponsons rather than the twin-linked land raider ones. (Learnt the hard way!)

So cost for cost, the forgeworld option is actually cheaper. However, you do get the extra two twin-linked lascannons from the terminus kit, as well as some more bitz. And those twin-linked lascannons fit the Planetstrike mounts perfectly (with a little trimming of the cables)

So it depends whether you want those or not ;)

But if you're just doing the Vendetta, cost for cost the Forgeworld kit is worth it.

Xas
09-05-2009, 06:23 PM
I have both a oriinal valkyrie with pods as well as one vendetta with FW lasers and I'd suggest FW rather than selfmade.

many reasons ahve been named but another important reason is the nose piece you get. if you are even a bit clumsy you'll either break of the nose sensor for the plastic valkyrie or hurt yourself badly with it (i managed both somehow... ouch plastic can be pointy :( ).

TSINI
09-05-2009, 06:45 PM
ive got 2 valks, and ive magnetized everything, including the wings themselves for transport.

at the moment i've left off the nose sensors, because i like the look of the forgeworld vendetta ones so much (its a great big searchlight/radar sensor depending on how you paint it), so i'm going to get 2 FW vendetta kits and permanently attach the sensors to both, and have FW vendetta weapons, and valkyrie weapons to interchange via (more) magnets.