PDA

View Full Version : Spore Mines moving in ruins

JMichael
08-08-2011, 03:46 PM
Interesting issue came up this weekend.
Spore Mine moves in a direction picked by the owner (rolled a 'hit' on the scatter die).
1. Can the spore mine move through a wall in ruins as other units can?
2. How about moving up a level within a ruin?

Fluff wise seems like the answer would be no in both cases unless there was a ramp or stairs.

You're thoughts?

AbusePuppy
08-08-2011, 04:08 PM
1. Presumably yes, assuming you had chosen to declare walls "permeable."

2. I would say no, unless your scatter die somehow has a vertical component arrow.

Tynskel
08-08-2011, 04:39 PM
I don't see why not. There is nothing stating in the rules that a spore mine cannot drift upwards. You just have to move it in the direction of the arrow.

thecactusman17
08-08-2011, 04:40 PM
1: Yes, unless the wall was declared impassable. Models are ALWAYS capable of moving through terrain that is not considered impassable. If there is question, it blew in through a ventilaton duct or crack which isn't readily visible on the terrain.

2: More difficult to answer. I would say that being as you have to go three inches to move up or down a ruin level, it shouldn't cause too much harm if it is allowed. After all, the rule in question does state that you may move in any direction if a hit is rolled.

addendum: Unless you and your opponent are playing on ridiculously detailed terrain that you both had a hand in making, it is ALWAYS best to ignore "fluff" when dealing with Warhammer terrain. Not because of any dislike for the lore, but instead because if you hyper-analyze every little terrain detail you are going to be arguing over terrain aspects more than playing the game. Instead, i would encourage you to just take the rulebook itself at its word: models are equipped with the correct tools, skills, and blind luck to move through non-impassable terrain and some are even better set for it.