PDA

View Full Version : Dreadclaws, Worth the Points?

Schnitzel
09-05-2009, 11:45 PM
Choas Dreadclaws, the spiky evil version of drop pods. Cost, 70pts. Plays more like a gunboat than a drop pod in game. Is it worth the points?

Goresmack
09-06-2009, 01:41 AM
Just curious, what list are you play that allows Dreadclaws?

35 points more than a drop pod is steep unless it's really packing heat. What weapons does it have?

-Goresmack

Schnitzel
09-06-2009, 01:47 AM

35 points more than a drop pod is steep unless it's really packing heat. What weapons does it have?

-Goresmack

I'm pretty sure it doesn't actually have weapons.
It also has a slight chance of eating your troops instead of dropping them safely...

But it can take back off again and fly to safety unless I'm mistaken.

The model looks cool and it's nice dropping a squad of Thousand Sons behind enemy lines from time to time. Or, since there is no scatter die involved, planting a squad of Havoks right behind a line of tanks. Melta rampage!

entendre_entendre
09-06-2009, 01:54 AM
aren't you allowed to assault out of a dreadclaw? 'cuz if that's true.... muhuhahaha! (imagines 'zerkers charging upon landing...)

Schnitzel
09-06-2009, 01:58 AM
aren't you allowed to assault out of a dreadclaw? 'cuz if that's true.... muhuhahaha! (imagines 'zerkers charging upon landing...)

I'm not entirely sure... but if so that make the dreadclaw entirely worth it. :D
*sigh*
And all my IA books are sitting in Omani Customs waiting to be cleared with my household goods... :(

Emperorsmercy
09-06-2009, 02:12 AM
if it take off again, can you re-use it later on?

Schnitzel
09-06-2009, 02:25 AM
Here are the rules from Varks part II.

Difficult ground - Immobilised if it lands in difficult ground.

Deploying the dreadclaw - Beings the game in reserve and when it becomes available it deploys using the drop pod rules.

Drop Pod landing - A claw enters play just like other aircraft, arriving from reserve and being placed anywhere on the table. Next turn it moves anywhere on the table, but a minimum of 36" and lands. Place the claw where you want it to land and then roll a scatter dice. On a hit it is on target, on an arrow it deviates D6 inches. Once on the ground the claw opens and those within may deploy as if from a moving vshicle.

From Imperial armour Apoc:

Type: Vehicle/Flyer

can carry 10 troops or 1 dred.

Special rules:
Difficult ground - Immobilised if it lands in difficult ground.

Deploys like a drop pod.

Sharp
09-06-2009, 08:20 AM

Isn't any Chaos List allowed to use Dreadclaws?

JavaKnight
09-06-2009, 10:29 AM
You can only use it in games that allow Forge world models like apocalypse. :rolleyes:

relasine
09-09-2009, 06:53 PM
IA:A also has it at 65 points. It's a transport that's a flyer. That's cool and worth the points IMO, especially in Apocalypse when your list isn't so cutthroat.

Xas
09-10-2009, 05:40 AM
I would compare it more to a flying rhino.

for 30points you get fly and 12AV all around.

the new rules dont allow assoulting right out of it but if you are patient you can wait it out inside the claw and assoult next turn (because you moved and unless a droppod arent immobilized I'm shure you get the 4+ cover ontop of your av12, non open topped).

for an assoult squad it is not really a speed increase (as you can charge the soonest turn 3! turn1 you come onto board /w stratagem, turn 2 you land, turn 3 you dissembark and charge) on normal siced boards.

for squads that deliver pain by shooting the dreadclaw appears like a godsend. take for example a 10 man squad of havocs with 4 meltaguns. come on the board turn 1 in a save corner. turn2 land next to a landraider/superheavy and earn your points (add a combi-melta for even greater alpha strike against titans). turn 3 embark and take off to your save corner again. turn 4 land and kill another big vehicle.
on a strategic level you get the effect of two squads for the price of one (unless it gets killed beforehand).

TSINI
09-10-2009, 07:31 AM
You can only use it in games that allow Forge world models like apocalypse. :rolleyes:

this makes me sad, forgeworld isnt an apocalypse only system, i wish people wouldnt treat it like one.

yes you should ask your opponent if you can use forgeworld rules for units, but only a real git would refuse.

Schnitzel
09-10-2009, 01:14 PM
this makes me sad, forgeworld isnt an apocalypse only system, i wish people wouldnt treat it like one.

yes you should ask your opponent if you can use forgeworld rules for units, but only a real git would refuse.

You underestimate the number of gits in the world...

But yes, IA aren't Apoc only units. They're meant to be supplemental to standard GW games, but something you want approval from your opponant on first. Its the super heavies and such that are intended for Apoc.

thralkhan
09-14-2009, 11:43 AM
Plus it's Chaos' only way of safely deep striking...

Ironwinds
10-17-2009, 11:21 AM
I have a similar question but first...

In IA: volume 7(which I'm fairly sure is newer than FW:apoc) it reads...

"Drop Pod landing - A claw enters play just like other aircraft, arriving from reserve and being placed anywhere on the table. Next turn it moves anywhere on the table, but a minimum of 36" and lands. Place the claw where you want it to land and then roll a scatter dice. On a hit it is on target, on an arrow it deviates D6 inches. Once on the ground the claw opens and those within may deploy as if from a moving open-topped vehicle."

You can assault out of an open topped vehicle... so yes you can assault out of them. Personally I plan on building a few and using them as super heavy hunters. Put a close combat dread inside, and assault out of it. If the enemy tank didn't move thats 5 str10 autohits against rear armor. Not bad for 165pts.

Now my question is what happens when it scatters and lands on something. I know it is immobalised when it hits terrain, but what about enemy units? Does it respond like a drop pod and just stop 1" away or does it die.... the second would seem strange since a dreaddlaw falling should kill most enemy units, not the dreadclaw.