PDA

View Full Version : Employment at GW

Sangre
09-06-2009, 10:54 AM
I would like to ask a general question: Does anyone here at the lounge actually work for GW?

I ask because I'm going to be requiring some employment fairly soon, and I'd love to work instore in London, and I was just wondering if anybody could tell me the best way to do so.

Aldramelech
09-06-2009, 12:10 PM
If there are any, I don't know if they'll admit to it.

Nice to be anonymous sometimes :)

Mike X
09-06-2009, 06:10 PM
I ask because I'm going to be requiring some employment fairly soon, and I'd love to work instore in London, and I was just wondering if anybody could tell me the best way to do so.

Presuming the hiring process is the same in the UK as it is in the US with GW, you have to wait for an 'assessment' course.

Basically, they'll have a spot or two become available in their staffing, and will have a group of interested people come to the assessment, interact with each other, bring their models (optional but preferred), and go through hypothetical customer service tests.

When I went to a local assessment, it sucked. There were five of us in total competing for a single job spot. And apparently none of us got it, because six months later GW closed all four of their hobby shops in my state (Massachusetts), plus the closest in Connecticut another four months later, leaving all of New England void of any GW shops.

TSINI
09-07-2009, 06:05 AM
when i enquird at a UK GW, the main thing for them is that you have an understanding of all of their main rules systems. so thats Warhammer Fantasy, 40k, Lordof the rings, and i guess now war of the ring.

i figured i couldnt be bothered to learn lord of the rings or fantasy, so i didnt persue the application any further. but i might consider it soon because i really need a job haha

but the best thing to do is wander into the GW store in question, chat to the guysin there (after all, its their manager that will decide) don't come across as a total noob, and make sure they can see you are a sociable person (you're going to be a salesman) and ask for an application form. its that simple really.

Bon_Vivant
09-07-2009, 04:20 PM
Honestly I've heard that they treat their employees rather poorly. Best to continue your education and land a great job ... so you have money and can continue to play.

oni
09-07-2009, 04:38 PM
I don't have any intentions of pursuing a job with GW, but I'd be interested to know if I'd pass their 'assessment' course, just for the sake of curiosity.

Mike X
09-07-2009, 05:05 PM
I don't have any intentions of pursuing a job with GW, but I'd be interested to know if I'd pass their 'assessment' course, just for the sake of curiosity.

When I got the call back two weeks later, they said I didn't get the job because supposedly I wasn't "enthusiastic enough about the hobby".

I have an entire friggin' room dedicated to modeling and gaming! And a fully painted 2,000pts army!

Slaanesh
09-07-2009, 05:27 PM

They pick who ever Sucks up the most and is the most cocky Normally. Since they started the whole "Assessment Center" staff lasts even shorter then before.....And to date there's only ONE Competent person they have hired. The rest are Ether self centered, Rude Or Scum. So anyone who is honest or a hard worker will almost never get the job.

Drew da Destroya
09-07-2009, 06:08 PM
They pick who ever Sucks up the most and is the most cocky Normally. Since they started the whole "Assessment Center" staff lasts even shorter then before.....And to date there's only ONE Competent person they have hired. The rest are Ether self centered, Rude Or Scum. So anyone who is honest or a hard worker will almost never get the job.

That seems like a bit of a generalization. Now, admittedly, it's rare that I actually go into a GW (it's a bit of a haul, and honestly, online is cheaper), but on the occasions that I do, the staff members were friendly enough.

Now, some of the problem is that GW is hiring, well, Salesmen. They need people who can push product around, and your "classic" salesperson is very self-motivated and can be very pushy. This can easily be seen as arrogant or rude to the gamer who's going into the store expecting a Hobby Enthusiast, and instead find a Salesperson.

This isn't to say that these salespeople aren't hobby enthusiasts as well, but their job is to push product and meet sales number expectations. It's a little harsh to classify them as "Scum".

schoon
09-07-2009, 07:29 PM
I actually had a first and second interview for one of GW's store manager positions before deciding that a position that would require a large amount of evening and weekend work just wouldn't be the right decision for my family.

The interview process was professional and I would have happily taken the job otherwise, so at least in my area, they seem to have it together.

In response to your question though, go in with a resume, talk to the manager of the store, and express your enthusiasm and what you can offer the store as an employee, and that will likely go a long way to getting you a first interview.

Slaanesh
09-08-2009, 12:39 AM
I actually had a first and second interview for one of GW's store manager positions before deciding that a position that would require a large amount of evening and weekend work just wouldn't be the right decision for my family.

The interview process was professional and I would have happily taken the job otherwise, so at least in my area, they seem to have it together.

In response to your question though, go in with a resume, talk to the manager of the store, and express your enthusiasm and what you can offer the store as an employee, and that will likely go a long way to getting you a first interview.

With the new process managers have no say in the mater. Its all the District manager's choice who works where.

And by "scum" before i mean the guys who know nothing about the game, and try to sell you things that arnt even for your army (best was a gw guy thinking a rhino was a landraider....Despite the words "Rhino" on the box)

One thing i also noticed is (locally for me at least) Gw is hiring people who don't play any of the games or know how to, But instead are going with people who Don't look the "gamer" tag. Has anyone else noticed this? One of the last guys spent 2500 on his last day with the 50% discount then resold it all! (Most to the local gray knight....the irony...)

EmperorEternalXIX
09-08-2009, 01:53 AM
As a side note...does anyone know about getting a job as a game designer? I actually love designing games and do so on my own time as a hobby (the newspaper design thing hasn't quite worked out, what with the death of print and all). How does one get to be one of the illustrious few who write the actual codex releases, supplements, and rules?

Laternatively I'd love to just lay out their magazine...

Slaanesh
09-08-2009, 02:22 AM
As a side note...does anyone know about getting a job as a game designer? I actually love designing games and do so on my own time as a hobby (the newspaper design thing hasn't quite worked out, what with the death of print and all). How does one get to be one of the illustrious few who write the actual codex releases, supplements, and rules?

Laternatively I'd love to just lay out their magazine...

i would say talk to there head office in the UK.