PDA

View Full Version : 2500 vs. Grey Knights

shockilator
08-15-2011, 05:08 AM
So... I don't usually write batreps, and sadly I don't have any pictures to go with this but allow me to give a little bit of backstory.
This wasn't for actualy 'Ard Boyz. This was a pickup game between me and my best friend, Austin, who pretty much got me into 40k, but has also always trounced me and all our friends when we play against him. Not that we don't have fun, but it's always a desperate battle with the same outcome against him. So this was the first time I've ever personally beat him, and to boot, I actually tabled him. I'm just gonna go ahead and copy+paste the batrep that I wrote for my friends on facebook, but just take out the small details that pretty much only they would know about =p Feel free to reply, I just really felt like doing something special to commemorate what I really consider my greatest win xD

Here's the list that I used (I kept it as a memento!):

HQs: Abaddon

Daemon Prince (Tzeentch, Warptime, Winds, Wings)

Elites: 10 Termies (4x p. wep, 4x p. fists, 1 chainfist, 1 2xLC, reaper autocannon, combi-melta, combi-flamer)

5x Termies (3x Combi-Melta/P. Wep, 2x 2xLC)

Troops: 10x Thousand Sons (Bolt of Change)

Rhino

10x Berserkers (Champ, P. Wep)

Rhino

10x Plague Marines (Champ, Fist, 2x Meltaguns)

Rhino

Heavy Support: 2x Vindicator (Daemonic Possession)

3x Obliterators

Austin's List (From memory so I dunno the exact numbers/placement in Force Org./Wargear):

HQs: Draigo

Librarian

Brotherhood Champion

Troops: 10x Grey Knight Strike Squad, 2 psycannons

5x Grey Knight Strike Squad, 2 psycannons

5x Grey Knight Strike Squad

7 Paladins (2? Hammers, 2? Halberds, Banner, 2? Swords, 2 Psycannons)

10 Paladins (Banner, 4 Psycannons, 3? Halberds, 3? Swords, 3? Hammers)

Land Raider Crusader (No upgrades)

Vindicaire Assassin

Alright so, I wish I had pictures, but Austin forgot his camera so I have absolutely none of those. The terrain was pretty nice, it didn't really block line of sight, but it was spread out so that I had kind of a difficult time moving rhinos around. On my side of the table, I had a big bridge that I just bunkered the Obliterators on, near them was one of the vindicators, abaddon with the 10 termie squad, the daemon prince was there, and then in a small gap in the terrain there were the three rhinos. The thousand sons and the plague marines were right next to each other with the berserkers coming up the rear. On the far left, there was my other vindicator with the 5-man termie squad hiding behind it.

Austin's deployment was very Austin-y. The Land Raider (With Draigo and the 7 Paladins) was sitting in the middle, being a freakin' land raider, kinda to the left of them was the big 10-man paladin squad with the librarian and brotherhood champion. Austin held two of the strike squads in reserve, the big 10 man squad, and the 5 man squad without psycannons. The other psycannon squad was deployed on top of a big castle tower thing where it could just shoot off psycannon rounds willy-nilly. The Vindicaire infiltrated on top of a fortificiation near my oblitz... Getting 2+ cover cause of stealth >_>

Top of Turn One:

So I had first turn, and honestly, I think this is what made me rape him so hard. He failed to seize the initiative and I just started moving everything up. The plague marine rhino went to the skirt, skirting around cover and trying to build a flank. The Thousand Sons moved to the left, so I could see the land raider and shoot off bolt of change at it. The berserkers followed behind the Plague Marines, cause I was hoping to use them as a shield to guarantee a charge when I needed it. Both the Vindicators moved up, the one closest to the Vindicaire had his side to a wall so I could whore cover for when it shot at me. I moved up the 5-man Terminator Squad behind it's Vindicator shield, and the Abaddon squad moved between the vindicator and the rhinos, acting like an unstoppable wall. The Daemon Prince flew straight towards the Vindicaire cause I wanted him gone. In past games, he was such a nuisance to me that I wasn't about to let that ******* live.

The shooting phase is probably what showed what was to come. I shot the Land Raider with lascannons from my oblitz, and scored a glance and a pen. The glance got a 2, big whoop, but surprisingly, the pen got a 6 and I blew that ******* to kingdom come, causing Draigo and his Paladins to get out. No wounds were scored from the explosion but what do you expect? 2+ saves against explosions are just lulz. With the Paladins out, and from the first thing I fired, I was able to concentrate fire on the Paladins more than I was expecting. Bolt of Change took out a paladin, and the vindicator took out another one from the big 10-man squad. The other vindicator took a wound off of Draigo, leaving him on 3. There was no assault so I let Austin do his turn

Bottom of Turn One: Austin moves both of his paladin squads towards me, and that was really all he had to move. In shooting, the psycannons penetrated both vindicators, but thanks to Daemonic Possession, I ignored the results that he got since they were either shaken/stunned. His Vindicaire did the double-wound ammo on the Daemon Prince, but I saved so it was good. But then his 5 man psycannon squad lopped off 8 shots, and I failed one of the rending saves, leaving him down to 3 wounds. There was no room for assault, so this turn was kinda wasted for Austin.

Top of Turn Two: I moved my Vindicator on the left up, getting ridiculously close to the Paladin squad, but my reasoning was that if he assaulted, I wanted him to have difficulty attacking it. I moved the Thousand Sons rhino up as well and sent the 5-man Termie Squad in between the rhino and vindicator, acting as a stopping point. The Plague Marine Rhino and the Berserker Rhino both moved up six inches, getting ready to assault the Paladins on the next turn and the Abaddon-squad moved closer as well. The Vindicator on the far right didn't move, just got ready for another shot. The Daemon Prince flew up to the top of the fortification where the Vindicator was and got ready to **** some **** up.

Shooting wise, this wasn't a very effective phase. The Vindicator took off another Paladin from the Draigo-squad and I don't think I remembered to shoot at all with Abaddon's squad... I fired two meltagun shots from the Plague Marine's Rhino and vaporized a Hammer-Paladin. I only remember this because that was a special Paladin for Austin >:D The Vindicator on the far left took out one more Paladin. I bolt of Change'd the Paladins again, but this time they saved. I tried Plasma Cannon'ing the Psycannon guys with my oblitz, but since they were technically in a fortification, they did pretty fine, only two guys dying from 8 freaking wounds. The Daemon Prince used Winds of Chaos and wouldn't you know it? I failed to wound with it.

Assault! This was pathetic on my part, I'll admit it. The Daemon Prince rushed the Vindicaire. Now... think about that for a second. A tiny *** Vindicaire, who's only good for shooting, gets rushed by a bigass Daemon Prince. Sounds pretty one-sided right? Nope. Allow me to bring you the Vindicaire's statline.

WS:8 BS:8 S:4 T:4 W:2 I:7 A:4 Ld:10 SV:4+/4+i

Yeah. Look at that. That's the standard Assassin statline. You know why that pisses me off? Here's my Daemon Prince's statline.

WS:7 BS:5 S:6 T:5 W:4 I:6 A:4 Ld:10 SV:3+/4+i

Does that look wrong to you yet? So pretty much, while I bum rushed into combat, the freaking Vindicaire got to attack first. And he wounded me. And I failed the save. Not only that, when I attacked back, I wounded him. Taking off one of his wounds. That freaking Vindicaire tied up my ******* Daemon Prince in close freaking combat. The shooty one! You don't even know how much that pissed me off.

Bottom of Turn Two:

So now it was Austin's turn. He moved his Paladins up some more, the Librarian-Paladin squad got up close and personal with the Vindicator on the left, the Draigo-Paladin squad getting close to Abaddon and his crew. On this turn, both of his Strike Squads came in as well. The ten-man squad went straight into the middle of the board, using the Librarian's teleport homer to arrive safely and ready to **** me up with it's psycannons. The 5-man squad went between the Paladins and my Terminators, acting as a barrier.

In shooting, the Librarian-Paladins wrecked the Vindicator in front of them and laughed, no longer threatened by it. The 5-man squad there fired at my Terminators with their psybolt-stormbolters, but they just plinked off my epic armor. The 10-man squad in the center focused it's psycannons on the berserker rhino, blowing it up and killing two of the berserkers in the process. The 5-man squad with psycannons on top of the fortification fired it's psycannons against my other vindicator and blew it up as well. A sad loss, but it seriously would get so much worse for Austin. In shooting from the Draigo-paladins, two of my Terminators were lost and Abaddon was wounded.

Assault! So, this time, the Vindicaire didn't do a ******* thing to my Daemon Prince. And if it had, I would have punched Austin in the face. Then my Daemon Prince pretty much ripped off his head and laughed about it. The Draigo-Paladins assaulted Abaddon's group, but Abaddon being awesome got to go first. I rolled like a 4 I think for his extra attacks so I had 8 attacks. I split it up, putting 4 on Draigo, and 4 on the Paladins. Abaddon did like, 1 wound on Draigo (Since he has a freaking storm shield), but also destroyed 3 of the paladins. Next, Draigo failed to wound Abaddon so he was still holding strong. There was more combat there, but I can't remember exactly how many of my guys died, and how many of his died. All I remember is that the dude with the banner took off a wound from Abaddon. A banner! It's not even a ******* power weapon! But Austin had to take like, 4 saves cause he was fearless, and cause Abaddon instant death'd those Paladins. Having two wounds sucks when Abaddon's punching you in the face. Remember that. And since Draigo was an independent character, he was taking 4 armor saves, and I believe he failed one, leaving him with one wound. The Paladins also had to take four saves, but there was like... two of them left, and at the end of that combat, each one had a wound on 'em.

This is pretty much when I realized the game was going retardedly good for me.

Top of Turn Three:

So, by now, I'm pretty confident. I move my 5-man Termie Squad up closer to the Librarian-Paladin Squad, and disembark my Thousand Sons from their rhino, their AP:3 bolters ready to rape some Grey Knights apart. I also disembarked the Plague Marines since they were next to the center piece of terrain that held the 10-man strike squad. The Daemon Prince flew from the top of the Vindicaire's fortification to the one with the psycannon guys. I tried moving the Berserkers, but the dice weren't cooperating with me right now.

I shot the berserker's pistols at the guys in the center cover, and killed just 1 guy. The Plague Marines unloaded with all of their boltguns and two meltagun shots and managed to take out about 3 or so. The obliterators fired their lascannons, but took nothing out. The Daemon Prince used Winds of Chaos, trapping two of the psycannon knights under the template, and killed one of them. The Terminators on the left fired their combi-meltas and vaporized a paladin. The Thousand Sons fired their bolters into the 5-man Grey Knight squad in front of them... An accurate way to describe what happened is: "Hey, there were Grey Knights there."

Then it was time for Assault. I ran my Terminator squad up against his Paladins, which was pretty retarded. I got cut to ribbons by Power Weapons galore, no mark of Tzeentch to help with invulnerable saves. There was one guy left, and for the first time I was happy he wasn't fearless. He fell back and was right next to the Thousand Sons. The Draigo-Abaddon combat was the greatest. With Draigo on 1 wound, and Abaddon still being of higher initiative, I pretty much dropped Draigo and one of the remaining Paladins. The regular Terminators that I had dropped the other one, and we moved three inches towards the center, ready to assault on the Strike Squad hiding in the center. The Daemon Prince wrecked the two remaining Grey Knights on top of the tower and then flew down to the ground cause of a six on the consolidation roll.

Bottom of Turn Three:

So... Austin was very upset about the loss of Draigo, since technically, Draigo should destroy Abaddon in hand to hand. But anyways! So Austin's plan here was pretty straight-forward. He moved his Paladins up towards the Terminator/Thousand Sons, and the 10-man (now down to like six) strike squad moved to face the Plague Marines.

In shooting, the Paladins took out three Thousand Sons, and Austin's Librarian's Vortex of Doom failed the psychic test so it took out one of his paladins. The Strike Squad shot up the Plague Marines, killing one, Feel No Pain failing me at that moment =(

He multi-assaulted the Thousand Sons/Termie with his remaining Paladins and pretty much destroyed most of them. At the end of the combat, I had just the sorcerer alive xD The Strike Squad also ****ed up the Plague Marines, killing two, but I killed one back with the power fist. In no retreat wounds, I lost another Plague Marine, Feel No Pain really hated me.

Top of Turn Four:

I moved Abaddon and his remaining Terminators to the Strike Squad, the Daemon Prince flew and ran towards the combat with the Thousand Son and the Paladins, and the berserkers managed to move out of cover and get ready to hit up the Paladins.

I couldn't shoot at anything because Austin's two squads were locked in combat.

The assault was actually kind of sad. Grey Knight's have a power that makes you go through difficult and dangerous terrain and wouldn't you know it? The berserkers rolled double 1's, meaning they weren't going anywhere. Not only that, but I lost another one of them to whatever the psychic power was doing. Abaddon managed to make it to the Strike Squad though and destroyed all but one of them. The Justicar, still alive, managed to take out Abaddon but died to the Plague Marines. I consolidated all my guys to go take out the last remaining guys.

Bottom of Turn Four:

Austin shot up the berserkers, and then charged with his Paladins... let's just say nobody survived that, then he consolidated up and kinda towards the Daemon Prince.

Top of Turn Five:

I moved the Daemon Prince and the remaining Terminators into combat with the like, three? remaining Paladins and the Librarian. The Daemon Prince wrecked on the Paladins, taking out three wounds before they could attack back and the Terminators managed to kill off the rest, but the Librarian held strong, killing one of my Terminators. He still lost combat though, and had to break from the combat.

Bottom of Turn Five:

Austin and I had pretty much decided that it was over since he was down to 1 model, but he still went for it. He used a psychic power that made me take initiative tests on all my guys under a flamer template, but surprisingly I passed all of them. Then he had to charge my Daemon Prince which promptly bit his head off and tossed it off to the side.

So that's the story of how I tabled Austin. I ended the game with 2 Terminators, a Daemon Prince, and like 7 or so Plague Marines as well as a Rhino still alive.

Addendum: Feel free to add comments as to what I should do for batreps in the future. Clearly, I know I should take actual notes of what exactly happens during the turns but eh. I did this from memory because I really didn't expect it to go the way that it did. Also, I know that with 3 HQs, his list was kinda cheaty, but it was a pick up game and we do stuff for fun like that all the time. Thanks in advance for any comments you guys leave =D

Edit: Hey look, I used profanity! I completely didn't realize the BoLS forums auto-starred those xD