PDA

View Full Version : 40K Costume Talk!

mountaincycle661
09-06-2009, 02:00 PM
I felt it would be cool to start a thread on the topic of 40K costumes. I tried posting some replies in the news thread, but it got all screwy on me and I couldnt register for some reason...Besides, sharing info in the forum is so much easier and convenient, not to mention easier to follow!

As a very serious costume maker myself (for the record, i HATE the term "cos-play", that makes you sound like a creepy nerd larper...or worse, a "furry"), I gotta say im extremely impressed with the priest and sister of battle costumes. Very professional. Casting or vacuumforming your own set of armor is incredibly difficult, and they really pulled it off.

As for the space marines....eh. I agree with the earlier comment that the noise marine and dark angel look very....cartoony. The black templars look good...from the waist up. The legs on those guys just look far too out of proportion. Its true, if your going for a space marine costume, you've gotta be at least 6'7", 275lbs and it helps if thats all muscle. ;-)

As for my own costumes, you can check them out here:

http://s193.photobucket.com/albums/z77/mountaincycle661/halloween/

Last year i was a 10' tall treeman, and the year before that was Nightbringer (although everyone just assumed i was the grim reaper...whatever, close enough.)

Pictures of a costume at night, when using flash, really can take away the beauty of a finished costume. The photos dont really do it justice, as you have to see it during nighttime on the street....so much cooler.

person person
09-06-2009, 06:28 PM
Awesome, where did you get paint for skin?

Drew da Destroya
09-06-2009, 07:49 PM
I really like your Nightbringer! The fact that the Scythe is pretty much an entire tree is pretty badass.

While it's not 40k, my girlfriend really likes cosplay (http://www.cosplay.com/member/51751/) (sorry, she likes the name, though. And totally isn't a furry). She tends to stick to Asuka (from the anime Evangelion), but recently did Silk Spectre II from Watchmen.

I'm working on getting her into 40k, though, so maybe I can get her to do a Daemonette or something. I'd say a SoB, but that Luminette girl seems to have that costume locked down pretty seriously!

mountaincycle661
09-06-2009, 08:20 PM
Thanks guys,

The make up i used was a grease based theatrical make up (none of that cheap $hit walmart crap). Note to those who will use this stuff: YOU MUST POWDER the make up to make it set in place. otherwise it will wipe off onto everything. Also, it is GREASE based...so plan on taking some serious degreasing showers afterwards.

And yes, the staff was made out of a tree trunk....Yeah, looks cool, but weighed like...50lbs! haha! it was more a pain in the *** to try to walk around in stilts with that thing than it was worth.

My next costume will be a tzeentchian chaos lord on a disc. Yes, the stilts will be used again so ill be "floating" 33" above the ground!

person person
09-06-2009, 09:14 PM
I can get her to do a Daemonette...

If you do, you will be inmmortal!!!

By name and pic. of course:D