PDA

View Full Version : first 2k lists, skaven

apahllo
08-18-2011, 02:21 AM
so, i am new to the world of fantasy but ive play 40k for 8 years on and off. also new to this whole forum business. i really like the skaven ability to get so many units on the battle field for so cheap. the first is a list is for queek because he seems like a character that has real "character" and normally i hate special chars. the other two are a little more normal but follow along the same lines. big scary units of rats.

list one...1998
lords:
queek head taker 215

heros:
plague priest 137
level 2, additional hand weapon

plague priest 137

chieftain 49
great weapon

core:
(40) storm vermin 330
full command, banner of the under empire

(20) storm vermin body guard 245
full command

(40) clan rats 220
full command, shields/spears

(40) slaves 100
slings

(40) slaves 100
slings

special:
(20) plague monks 165
full command

rare:
doomwheel 150

doomwheel 150

list two... 2000
lords:
grey sear 290
dispel scroll, warp scroll

heros:
plague priest 137

chieftain 49
great weapon

chieftain 49
great weapon

core:
(40) clan rats 275
rattling gun

(39) clan rats 270
rattling gun

(40) storm vermin 330

(40) storm vermin 330

rare:
3x warp lightning cannon 270

list three... 1996
lords:
grey sear 240

heros:
plague priest 137

chieftain 49
great weapon

chieftain 49
great weapon

core:
(40) clan rats 275
rattling gun

(40) clan rats 290
warpfire thrower

(40) storm vermin 330

special:
plague monks 235
full command

rare:
doomwheel 150

doomwheel 150

warp lightning cannon 90

check my math, and i need help so feel free to lend your advice but make it smart. i dont want anyone just saying... take less 1 and more 2, please tell me why and the advantages of such things.

lastly what is everyones take on vermin lords?

elmir
08-18-2011, 03:43 AM
List one:

I'd dump the plaguemonks and flesh out that vermin bodyguard unit to at least 29 models to run queek in. Dump the slings for the slaves and make a BSB out of your chieftain.

List two:

3x cannon is illegal (max of 2 repetitions for rares in armies under 3k points). Every magic item can only be used once in each army, so 2x banner of underempire is also not legal.

List three:

Again, I'd adice a BSB for one of your chieftains.

apahllo
08-18-2011, 11:26 AM
bsb?
you dont think 50 sling shots for 25 points if worth it...?
i need to learn more of the rules.

elmir
08-19-2011, 11:04 AM
BSB = battle standard bearer.

Also, slings on slaves is a bit of a gimmick. Only 2 ranks can fire these days, meaning your 50 slaves would need a very odd and practically unplayable 25 wide, 2 deep formation. Good luck with that on the battlefield when it comes to manouvering...

There are situations where ppl use slaves in those formations as missile screens. But when you use them in such a way, they'll be marching most of the time, meaning that they will not be allowed to use the slings (they are not skirmishers after all). This would make the sling option unfavorable again.

A unit of 50 slaves should be in schoolbus formation (5 wide, 10 deep) to benefit from steadfast rule (having more ranks then your oponent so you can disregard negative Ld modfiers after a defeat in combat). That's a good use for them: tarpits. If you are going to give them slings, that means only 20 shots each turn (provided you didn't march) often hitting on 6+... Not a solid investment!

apahllo
08-22-2011, 04:19 PM
after your elaboration on the slaves i think i might drop them all together..
thanks for the insite.

elmir
08-22-2011, 04:51 PM
I'm not entirely sure that for the best. Slaves are some of the most competitive units in the army (wich sounds out, but expendable has been faq'ed so you cannot hit your own slaves anymore). Slaves are the best tarpit unit in the game currently imo.

Also, a good rule of thumb (nothing more though) when making a skaven army, is that you need about 1 model per 10 points in your army.

So 2000p --> around 200 models

apahllo
08-22-2011, 11:57 PM
ya, ive read a lot that numbers are your strong point. i think ill save queek for a larger list. also maybe a plague furnace and 40 monks would really hit home in the list.

really, thank you for the insite. i barely know, if at all the rules of fantasy and i havent played much so im not too keen of the effective ness of certain units.