PDA

View Full Version : Dusty Relics

Exitus Acta Probat
09-06-2009, 08:58 PM
Okay, not a log or pics....
I want to do my Dead Termie for Space Hulk some justice.

I've thought of a number of things for giving that dusty 'just opened the ark of the covenant's chamber' feel, but I don't think any of them will deliver.

Does anyone have any ideas for a good, ancient DUSTY look to a relic/throne.

thks

The Green Git
09-06-2009, 09:21 PM
Does anyone have any ideas for a good, ancient DUSTY look to a relic/throne.

A nice thick coat of Testors Matt Finish will make the thing look dusty. Put it on a base and string a few threads in a nice spiderweb formation between the fig and base before spraying.

person person
09-06-2009, 09:24 PM
Verdigris, don't know exactly how to paint it though, I'd paint the armour alot darker than the reg. guys e.g. instead of Blood red=Red gore.

Valdore
09-07-2009, 03:44 PM
I'd suggest weathering effects similar to those on tanks, but with lighter paints. So drybrush some bleached bone into recesses maybe, and the threads sounds like a good idea for cobwebs, might steal that one ;)

Rule of Three
09-07-2009, 09:14 PM
For an aged bronze finish
Undercoat black
Do a base coat of scaly green (or some knarloc green, or a mix of hawk turquoise and dark angel green)
Do a drybrush of tin btz, leaving the green in the recesses.
Do a lighter drybrush of burnished gold on the more exposed parts of the mini.

entendre_entendre
09-07-2009, 10:34 PM
you could paint the armour darker, then drybrush a light layer of gray &/or bleached bone for dust.

schoon
09-07-2009, 10:47 PM
Dust really lightens things, especially in relation to a light source, but as a Space Hulk is a very dark place, there should be some good contrasts/shadows as well.

I'd suggest lightening the colors a bit throughout the painting process to give it a "bleached" feel, and then using weathering to create some of the darker corroded/stained recesses for contrast.

fade_74
09-08-2009, 08:14 AM
MIG pigments are about the best way to do dust. Check out the link. I get that dust effect by sprinkling on the pigment then lightly airbrushing it with thinner, to set it onto the model.

http://www.coolminiornot.com/pics/pics13/img49bbf24f52f9e.jpg