PDA

View Full Version : Goblin chariot question

miksaa
08-22-2011, 01:25 PM
I am going to build my Goblin army that I worked on for ages, but as I sat down to start I realized that I have no clue if I should model the Goblin chariots with extra wolf and goblin or not.

So I ask you all for advice on how to equipe the ride.

Mazelf
08-22-2011, 03:45 PM
Hey, I the tomb kings chariots as a base for my conversion into gobbo chariots (3 chariots in one box is awesome) and modelled them with 2 wolves and 2 gobbos because the third wouldnt fit, I have NEVER had anyone complain about that however my gaming scene is pretty laid back regarding such things (its not like you are trying to pass off an orc model as a giant, right?)

miksaa
08-22-2011, 03:59 PM
Great advice on cheeper chariots.

Do you have any gaming experience with extra crew and wolf, I am not sure if they are worth it or not?

Mazelf
08-22-2011, 05:24 PM
Im special rules for them specifically saythat you can field them in squads of three and additionally, you can pay 5 pts each for an extra gobbo and wolf per chariot, so technically you get a couple of extrea attacks per chariot if you pay 10 more pointa (30 if you field a squad of 3, which I always do) Ive never run them like that myself, usually just 3 chariots for 150 points, I rely on the 3d6+3 str 5 impact to break units when doing charges on the front, after that the chariots are pretty much throaway since they dont actually do much in combat and the T4 5+ AS 3W Ld 6 arent much to actually keep them alive. They are also pretty good flankers in squads of 1 or 2 (hammer) chariots and then you dont depend on them to break the unit as much as you do the front charges (anvil).
best of luck using them!

Arch_Bishop
08-22-2011, 09:54 PM
^^^^

My sentiments exactly.

Goblin chariots are for adding that extra punch to an attack, usually with a flank charge, and as stated above, they rely on the impact hits rather than the attacks from the crew and beasts.

I just made a few goblin chariots myself, from various sources, but the cheapest I found was buying the bits for the orc chariot chassis from ebay, then buying a set of 5 wolves from the same seller.

I also had an old metal orc chariot laying around, so I ended up with a standard 2 wolf, 2 gobbo one, and another that I converted to represent Grom the Paunch (3 wolves, with an Avatars of War goblin as Grom). On all the chariots, I made the crew on separate bases so that I could mount characters or such (mainly so I could use 2 'normal' chariots, when not using a character).

Also, as stated before, if you decide to change your mind and add / subtract beasts or crew, I don't imagine anyone would care, unless it was a tournament or such. Fitting 3 wolves on a chariot can be a bit of a pain too (be ready to greenstuff).

I hope this aimless rambling helps!

miksaa
08-23-2011, 01:25 AM
Thanks for the insight, I played very few games of Fantasy and almost non with chariots so am a total NOOB in that aspect, but I played 40k and my gut told me that adding the extra goblin and wolf was not worth it.

So I guess I do two normal and try to scrap build one more with three wolfs and space for a character, I guess the Avatar of War goblin would make a pretty cool Grom.

Thanks!

Arch_Bishop
08-23-2011, 02:29 AM
I guess the Avatar of War goblin would make a pretty cool Grom.

He certainly does.

I think he is called a "Goblin King", or something similar.

I had to put him on a bit of a raised base, so that his arms would go over the sides of the chariot, as the pose is fairly 'open'. This also allowed me to field him on foot, as a Goblin Lord, which is a bonus.

I used the current orc chariot, with lots of bits added on (for that ramshackle look), and managed to harness up another wolf on the front (2 in the back, 1 in the front). I had to green stuff a harness, but that wasn't too big a deal.

Goblin chariots really are a steal for the points. A well timed flank charge can really put the hurt on a unit.

Are you running an all goblin army (i.e. no orcs)? If so, you need all the 'punch' you can get, so get building on those chariots!

miksaa
08-23-2011, 10:55 AM
It is an all Goblins army, started it way back in 97.
But really did not like the rules, so I got into 40k as one of my best friends played that.

Now I feel the rules are better and I got the new high elfs from IoB so I try to complete my Goblins army so I have two armies so I can lure new friends in to the hobby, and have some options when I play as both Orcs and High elfs are rather popular in my area.