PDA

View Full Version : Beastmen list advice - please!

bobrunnicles
08-30-2011, 09:50 AM
Got a game of WFB coming up this weekend at the club, a bunch of us are putting together 1000pt army lists to help some newbies get into the game, and I'm hoping to be able to field a small Beastmen army I'm working on - still got a fair bit to paint (I won't play unpainted figures, a personal quirk of mine) but here's what I'm looking at:

Wargor w/Great Weapon 89pts
Bray-Shaman lvl 2 w/Dispel Scroll 135pts
Gor Herd, full command, hw&s 19 figures 177pts
Gor Herd, full command, ehw 20 figures 185pts
Ungor Herd, full command, spear & shield, 20 figures 135pts
Bestigor Herd, full command, 14 figures 198pts
Tuskgor Chariot 80pts

That comes out to 999pts; the plan is the Wargor goes with the Bestigors and the Bray Shaman with the Gors w/shields. Haven't decided on which lore to take yet (any suggestions? Likely foes include Warriors of Chaos, High Elves, Dwarfs, Tomb Kings & Dark Elves) and I'm dithering over the last entry on the list, the Chariot - I could dump that and take some Ungor Raiders, which gives me some much needed missile power as well as some points for magic items etc, but I also like the Chariot's hitting power.

So what do you think? Any other suggestions? At 1000pts I'd be pushing it imho to include Minotaurs or a Giant (although I have models for both); would it be worth dropping a rank from one of the Gors or the Ungors and taking some magic and/or chaos gifts (and if so, which ones)?

Lord Castellan
09-03-2011, 10:12 AM
Got a game of WFB coming up this weekend at the club, a bunch of us are putting together 1000pt army lists to help some newbies get into the game, and I'm hoping to be able to field a small Beastmen army I'm working on - still got a fair bit to paint (I won't play unpainted figures, a personal quirk of mine) but here's what I'm looking at:

Good to see someone else playing Beastmen. I started them as my second army since no one shows them any love, and they really are a great list when you get down to it. The only problem is no armor so expect to lose alot of models. Though in my opinion compared to 5+ and 6+ saves of other armies there isnt much change.

Wargor w/Great Weapon 89pts

Good, however you may want to find the points to give him a Battle Standard. With an average 7 leadership you need those re-rolls and a plain Wargor isnt going to be killing too much anyway. Make him a BSB and keep him with the Bestigors for Combat Res.

Bray-Shaman lvl 2 w/Dispel Scroll 135pts

Lore of Beasts. Wild is ok, not great, and has such short range that its just not really worth it. Death is similar, powerful as it is, the short range means id only ever give it to a secondary mage. Shadows is a good pick, it has alot of curses to debuff your opponent and can be really useful. But personally id take advantage of Beasts every time. Casting values are always at -1 simply because your'e beastmen, and the spells are very useful. The Amber Spear can snipe out characters, and Wyssen's Wildform giving +1S AND +1T to a whole unit is invaluable. I never leave home without it.

[/quote]Gor Herd, full command, hw&s 19 figures 177pts[/quote]

Good, but why give them shields? Sure you get a 6+ save but, 75 percent of everything will negate it anyway. Id rather have 10 extra attacks than a save I still wont get to roll.

Gor Herd, full command, ehw 20 figures 185pts

Looks good.

Ungor Herd, full command, spear & shield, 20 figures 135pts

Useless. Literally. Sure they're cheap, but unless you take a block of 40 with spears so that they can all attack its just not worth it they will never do any damage. And even IF you take the big block, the chances of them losing combat and getting run down are way too high. Take small units of Raiders for ranged support.

Bestigor Herd, full command, 14 figures 198pts

Since you dont have Minotaurs, your Beastigors are going to be your main combat force. They need to be beefed back up to 20 or 25 if you can, use the extra points from the Ungors. With Beastigor's Despoiler rule, each enemy standard that you destroy or make flee adds +1 to your combat res for the rest of the game. So say your Wargor is in here and your enemy charges with a unit with their BSB in it, and you kill it, suddenly you get combat res for your standard, your BSB, and two extra for capturing two standards. This unit will quickly out combat res anybody and be a shining star. Focus more power on them.

Tuskgor Chariot 80pts

Not terrible really, but with only one it will be easy for your opponent to target and kill it off. I personally would take a few if I took them at all. If you need the points drop it but if not you can try it out and see.

That comes out to 999pts; the plan is the Wargor goes with the Bestigors and the Bray Shaman with the Gors w/shields. Haven't decided on which lore to take yet (any suggestions? Likely foes include Warriors of Chaos, High Elves, Dwarfs, Tomb Kings & Dark Elves) and I'm dithering over the last entry on the list, the Chariot - I could dump that and take some Ungor Raiders, which gives me some much needed missile power as well as some points for magic items etc, but I also like the Chariot's hitting power.

So what do you think? Any other suggestions? At 1000pts I'd be pushing it imho to include Minotaurs or a Giant (although I have models for both); would it be worth dropping a rank from one of the Gors or the Ungors and taking some magic and/or chaos gifts (and if so, which ones)?

If you find the points, Minotaurs or a Giant at 1000 points can be nasty. I shy away from Giants in big games because a single Cannonball or Cavalry charge can kill it outright but in small games your opponent will be overwhelmed trying to deal with it.

Overall you should do well, just remember to use ambush from time to time and be careful how you maneuver. Your opponent will crush you easily if you leave a unit out in the open. And against those opponents you listed you can expect to get off little magic and have alot thrown at you so be prepared for that. But welcome to Beastmen, I hope they treat you well!