PDA

View Full Version : \o/ N00bz-R-Us \o/

Dont-Be-Haten
09-01-2011, 11:02 AM
Hey Fantasy Players, DBH here, and I'm the complete and total definition of a Table-Top Noob. So, If I put this in the wrong thread (Part of me thinks it goes in General Discussion, however other members' posts suggest I'm putting this in the right place huzzah!~) I'm sorry.

Okay so to get started, I was in my local hobby/comic shop a couple of weeks ago and decided I wanted to try something completely different and fantastic. I was a die-hard card games player for several years, rocking scrubs left and right in terms of YGOz or Yu-Gi-Oh! by Konami, however with their newest banlist and plethora of reprints that make the red-light district look like candy land, I'm basically looking to sell my $$ grand + cards and sink it into this slightly (Sarcasm inserted) more expensive hobby.

When I was 10 or 11 I tried playing around with Fantasy getting the Bretonnian vs. Lizardman Battle box (4th edition?? 3rd?? Anyways--) I painted them, had no one to play with because being so young I couldn't really find a lot of players to play with, and although most people in my locals play War Machine or 40k I just fell in love with the fantasy aspect by GW. I'm looking at starting off by buying the Island of Blood Battle Chest, and the High Elf Battalion. I just really love the back story behind the High Elves, and with research (and watching a stellar amount of Battle Reports via YouTube with various armies) I've settled on attempting the High Elves. So I know EVERYONE suggest a unit of Phoenix Guard, and Sword Masters, then the Dragon Princes, and it is a constant debate on core units being Archers or Spearmen vs. Sea Gaurd. So not really wanting a vanilla team I would like some suggestions to an Army, Basically from what I understand that EVERYONE will attempt to kill the sword masters first because of their str 6 attacks that basically lulz the opposition. I also understand that my army will more or less be a "Glass Cannon" team and therefore I'm looking at a mitigation of ranged support to force my opponent to charge into my spearmen/sea gaurd and counter charge with my sword masters etc. Okay so I know you guys are really tired of my rambles but I had to get a little back ground history out of the way; now for the real questions.

First and formost I'm looking at building a 2500 point army to start off.

Next: I love the White Lions and their Chariot, however I've been told that they are extremely pricey and you can just about regiment 2 Tiranoc Chariots to the 1 White Lion Chariot. I've also researched and know that I want to regiment a minimum of 2 chariots. (if I play them at all and that they are great at counter charges and helping deal with war machines.)

Next:So the moral of this thread is to help a beginner out with a solid army (using the Island of Blood models.) I already know not to make the Prince on Griffon my General, but some other questions are these, Although most people put them off I like the silverhelms, how many should I field? (I know Dragon princes are surperior but I want a bit more fluff (is that the right term?) Ellyrian Reavers? Are Shadow Warriors worth the 80ish points to field 5? are LSG superior to Spears or Archies? Seems to heavy on points, a Lvl 4 & 2 Mage in a 2500 point match? With the rules on war machines is a 2 wound Repeater Bolt Thrower worth the 100 points? And I've seen several people swear by Great Eagles But I just don't care for them is there a better substitute, or one at all for that matter?

If you've gotten this far and not clicked ESC or X thanks I would really appreciate some input/CnC on this and I'm very thankful for any and all support!
-Sincerly DBH.