PDA

View Full Version : About Fluff Heroes

Dont-Be-Haten
09-04-2011, 06:04 AM
So I think I'm using the right term by fluff. My general question here is instead of using Lore characters (which I hear are very over powered *insert indifferent facial expression*) I want to make my own. And one of my favorite casts is the Altharan dismounted Hero model. My question is, if I wanted to make my own character i.e. name and fluffy-lore background could I essentially do that; field the hero character as like a Noble/Prince other than himself? Such as fielding two units with the same name on actual paper but, for my character model it be something different? Like prince Altharan from the Island of Blood on Griffon + the Dismounted prince Altharan if I didn't field them as such character names?

And can you also play said models as such in tourney play etc?

Hope to get replies!
-DBH

Wildeybeast
09-04-2011, 08:16 AM
So I think I'm using the right term by fluff. My general question here is instead of using Lore characters (which I hear are very over powered *insert indifferent facial expression*) I want to make my own. And one of my favorite casts is the Altharan dismounted Hero model. My question is, if I wanted to make my own character i.e. name and fluffy-lore background could I essentially do that; field the hero character as like a Noble/Prince other than himself? Such as fielding two units with the same name on actual paper but, for my character model it be something different? Like prince Altharan from the Island of Blood on Griffon + the Dismounted prince Altharan if I didn't field them as such character names?

And can you also play said models as such in tourney play etc?

Hope to get replies!
-DBH

So if i understand you have the special character on foot and mounted and you want to field both models at the same time, using one as the special character and one using the standard hero/lord profile and fluff you have written yourself? In that case, yeah that is fine, just point out to your opponent before the game which is which. Equally there is nothing wrong with using a special character model with the standard lord/hero profile and you own fluff, providing you make it clear to your opponent. I'd hate to draft a battle plan to deal with Teclis or Tyrion, only to kill them and find out they were just a normal hero. As for tournaments, you will have to ask individual organisers on what their rules are on 'counts as' models.

Dont-Be-Haten
09-04-2011, 07:08 PM
I just want to start off by saying, thank you for answering my posts, it really is a relief having someone help me out like you have Wildey, so thumbs up!

And that's right; essentially, I'm wanting to take 2 models that are in reality named the same Character, only one is dismounted, and turn the models into my own fluff-general. So all I have to do is let my opponent know before hand that the character is not fielded as the actual name but as my own created character. I appreciate it again thanks!
-DBH

gcsmith
09-05-2011, 05:02 AM
remember models are that just models. some are designed to be used as certain chars but can be used as other things, also prince althran isnt a special character anyway.

Just treat the models as lord on gryphon and lord on foot, tho u need one spare incase the gryphon gets shot from underneath the one lord

Dont-Be-Haten
09-05-2011, 05:18 AM
Howdy GCSmith! Thanks for the reply!~ I didn't know that until now, I thought he was a special character that was not added to the codex, because the GW website had so much lore and multiple pieces for him so thanks for that (upon further research I see that he's just like a regular prince/noble) His character model off the Griffon is just amazing, and the Griffon looks awesome too, I have to say he's one of the better looking metal pieces I've seen so far. Thanks again, and keep in touch!

-DBH

Thornblood
09-19-2011, 04:59 PM
Just because I am a big fan of the modeling side of this hobby, I would still tamper with one of the Althrans to show a distinction that they are not the same character. With most other models I would probably do a weapon or head swap, but GW seems to have already done this for you- as the mounted Althran has a massive ornate helmet and a lance. I would be tempted to paint them different (one in Gold armour, one in silver, maybe one with a white and blue cloak, the other with a blue and white cloak) just to emphasize that they are separate.

As it it the two Althran models are quite far apart so you probably wouldn't have an issue.

Metacarpi
11-07-2011, 08:20 AM
I'm with Wildeybeast on this one. In friendly games, as long as it's made clear that the character isn't being fielded "as is" (for example, I use the Grey Seer Thanquol model as a regular Grey Seer, just because I prefer the pose of the model), I can't see there being a problem.

Tournament wise, it depends on the house rules for the individual tournament, so I'd suggest double checking before you take it - wouldn't want to be disappointed if they tell you you can't field it!