PDA

View Full Version : Warlord and Rat Ogre Help

Dominic
09-04-2011, 10:49 AM
Hiya,

I want to add a Warlord with Rat Ogre mount (forgot the exact name), and a unit of Rat Ogres to go with him in my skaven army.

I have no idea on the unit size, or equipment for both units so I was wondering if you could help. Basically:

How many rat ogres?
what equipment on the warlord?
how many packmasters?
should I have the upgraded packmaster which can give the unit special rules
how should I deploy them (2x3 etc.)?

Thanks,

Dominic

KriegXXIX
10-13-2011, 10:21 PM
Rat ogres might work in a 3x2 or a 4x2 formation in this case. I would also try and have the item that makes the warlord stubborn, because there is a strong chance they can be beaten in the right situation. As long as the BSB is in range you should be fine. Iron Curse amulet is also a good idea as you can be assured that a great many warmachines will be looking their way.

Chronowraith
10-15-2011, 09:53 PM
I use a warlord on a bonebreaker quite frequently and they can be very vicious if used properly. That being said, they are best used in large point games where you can have either another warlord or a grey seer as the general since rat ogres work best charging into flanks.

So the unit - at least 5 rat ogres, no more than 9. Smaller than 5 models and you run into rank issues, larger than 9 and you run into placement issues. Given the number of units a skaven army usually places, this can be a real problem.

Equipment. Both items previously mentioned are great (Crown of Command for Stubborn and Ironcurse Amulet). Personally, I give him the Warlock Augmented Weapon and Armor of Fortune and a shield and I'm done. That gives him a decent save, a ward save, and a large number of S5 attacks (when combined with the bonebreaker that gives this single model 10 S5 attacks).

Packmasters- Take the maximum that you can (1 for every 2 Rat Ogres). They won't really contribute much but will prevent a meltdown if someone snipes the warlord out of the unit. Don't upgrade any to master moulders.

Squeel Gnawtooth is one of the best unit upgrade characters available. If you have the points, he's well worth it. Just remember he counts as a unit champion and thus is required to be in the front rank (at least last time I checked).

Deployment - I usually run 5 or 6 Rat Ogres with the bonebreaker, squeel Gnawtooth and 1-2 packmasters dependent on the number of rat ogres. So with that being said, I run the rat ogres as two ranks of 3, bonebreaker front and center, and the spare rat ogre (if there is one) in a rank of his own with the packmasters.

Hiya,

I want to add a Warlord with Rat Ogre mount (forgot the exact name), and a unit of Rat Ogres to go with him in my skaven army.

I have no idea on the unit size, or equipment for both units so I was wondering if you could help. Basically:

How many rat ogres?
what equipment on the warlord?
how many packmasters?
should I have the upgraded packmaster which can give the unit special rules
how should I deploy them (2x3 etc.)?

Thanks,

Dominic

Abides
03-22-2012, 06:42 PM
Just a note, warlord won't get a LOS, different unit types.
I run my Bonebreaker solo with a charmed shield and weeping blade or blade of corruption.