PDA

View Full Version : Mountain Brets?

gcsmith
09-08-2011, 04:31 PM
So im doing my HE but got an inkling for brets. and not sure wether to sell my HE or not to my mate wanting to get in, just cus their all IOB really so not losing much.

But anyway besides the point. Wat base models and conversions should I use/do for mountain/winter brets.
Meant to look like cold enviroment so warm stuff seems appropiate, but wat pieces and where.

Thanks for any advice and info in advance

modelguyicmt
09-08-2011, 10:22 PM
All the Bretonnian peasants are already wearing long overcoats, you'd be fine adding some green stuff scarves/mittens. Mountain Bretonnians spam pegasi too, so pick up a box or two of pegasus knights.

JGRSound
09-17-2011, 12:23 PM
yeah parravon is the mountain realm so heavy on the pegasus knights and possibbly a prophetess on peg i'm just abouts to do one myself using the the old fey enchatress

gcsmith
09-17-2011, 04:02 PM
Well I dnt see heavy peguses knights as competative and besides my lord will be a minor duke or watever. Because of this he will have a minor following. Ill be playing him as a new duke, given a small mountainous region as new minor dukedom. Essentionally he has small amounts of peguses knights and he uses them less riskely, so just 3 to begin with. However, Im thinking more about how to convert models to make them look cold.

Also can I ask any recomendations to model a on foot King.

Edit: by king i mean king loeun or my lord on hippohryph

Thornblood
09-19-2011, 04:32 PM
Broken up cork works pretty well as rocks in my opinion- just break it apart with your fingers. Easy to shape too and a nice texture. Got some marine veterans on bases made out of bits of cork. I paint my rocks with shadow grey highlighted with fortress to suggest a colder bluer tone than codex will give you (still shadows are chaos black and I highlight up to almost white).

Add some snow flock and maybe a few scraggles of static grass poking out between rocks.

Wind could be important- blowing all of one side of all rocks clear with snow built up on the other side- banners all blowing in that direction and maybe shields raised to protect from said wind. Maybe a few men at arms with head down or iron helms blowing off.

Ice can be done well with water effects and then white painted on top (lightly drybrushed or if your really adventurous in an authentic way paint an ice line pattern on.) You could evenuse the negative space under the base to put someone/something trapped under the ice and significantly blue).

Maybe find a goat to add to a peasantry regiment?

Heraldry could be affected. Go for colder tones (blue- green, lots of blue, Blueish purple (so liche purple highlighted with white or spac wolves grey but not warlock). The animals I would avoid fire breathing dragons, lions and swords and go for white animals that would camoflage with snow. Birds of prey (including owls), bears, pegasi, deer, caribou and maybe a goat (think Ibex- they look impressive). Even Yhetee and mammoths are fair game. Go for helms with said animals, and antlers for deer could be good.

Hope this is helpful :)

Thornblood
09-19-2011, 05:46 PM
Oh yeah and fur was my other idea.

If your handy with the greenstuff- like modelguy said mits and scarves for peasants. But for knights- fur collars. That you can then paint ermine (that royal white with black spots). Very fancy and very warming in cold weather.

Other furs work as well. Nothing says cold weather and into hunting like loads of animal pelts draped over everything. Short fur is quite easy to sculpt too!

rustbucket
11-17-2011, 09:55 AM
Whatever skin is showing on your models would look good done as an ashy white/gray. Living in a cold, dimly lit area and staying indoors as much as possible, you aren't going to have a great tan. You're going to have pale skin w/ a bluish tinge on your lips so a thin blue/purple highlight would be cool. That would make me think they were cold.