PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Weapon

Prometheus
09-08-2009, 01:52 AM
The question is simple what is yopur favorite weapon in 40k? At Range and in Close Combat.

For me its...

Range: Flamer- its doesn't need to roll to hit and usually covers alot of enemies. It also ignores cover saves which are everywhere in 5th.

Close Combat: Thunderhammer- its a powerfist that if...IF your opponents survives the hit he strikes last in close combat as he is stunned.

Morgrim
09-08-2009, 02:38 AM
Close combat: agonisers, without question. There isn't much 'soft' stuff at my FLGS, so it is very welcome. (It's getting to the point where a standard marine is considered a nice easy target and I think all my warriors need to be equipped with can openers. I need to play against some hoard nids or non-mech guard...)

Ranged: blasters. I'm not too fond of dark lances lately. Yes, they are very good weapons... but my gunners are pathetic, they couldn't hit the voidshield on a titan the way they've been aiming...

mysterex
09-08-2009, 03:12 AM
Meltgun for all the obvious reasons - it's an assault weapon, it's AP1, doesn't overheat or scatter and it makes a mess of vehicles. For close combat the power fist, a nice trade off of points cost and effectiveness although I only use it for squad leaders

Red__Thirst
09-08-2009, 03:54 AM
Ranged: The good old Combiflamer. If I need to tag something at range I can fling a bolt or twelve at it. If it gets close, light up the BBQ baby, dinner's on!

Melee: I've gotta say, this one is tough, but honestly I'd want a power sword (resembling the one the terminator sergeant has in the new Space Hulk box). It's not the end-all be-all of close combat weapons, but it's damn effective versus anything I'd want to fight.

Those are my choices.

-Red__Thirst-

Sangre
09-08-2009, 03:58 AM
Ranged: Lasguns, in the hands of infantry, ordered to fire in ranks. Not even the most effective but I love the image.

Close Combat: Witchblade. Wounding on a 2+? S9 against AV? Yikes!

Skragger
09-08-2009, 04:33 AM
Hmmmm.. so many choices, so many choices...

Ranged: Loota Gunz.. not only are the a major annoyance to light vehicles, they just look damn cool and are the gun that a conversion really should be manditory on

Melee: Old SKool chainaxes and Choppas... nothing says "dont play terminators" like 6 points of modifies armour save!

Diagnosis Ninja
09-08-2009, 05:48 AM
Hmm... I have to go with Grey Knight kit. Storm Bolter (or the TL bolter on a bike ^^) and Relic Blades/ Nemesis Force Weapons. Have a high enough strength to get the damage done, look good, and can usually put out enough accurate fire power to seal thee deal :)

krispy
09-08-2009, 06:22 AM
i really like:
ranged - the bolters my sternguard veterans have - rapid fire and 4 different ammo types makes me happy

close combat - lighting claw(s) just cos they are cool and who wouldnt want to have one!

in the past (rogue trader times) i really liked the eldars "Harlequins Kiss" as it had the most badass rules but it seems to not be as popular / useful anymore.

TSINI
09-08-2009, 06:47 AM
for ranged: it has to be the executioner plasma cannon - triple blast plasma, it just melts, melts and melts some more!!

assault, i'm all for the power sword, as a guardsman i need to cling onto every point of my innitiative value, they might not be alive by the time a powerfist gets to strike!

cyberakuma
09-08-2009, 07:05 AM
eviscerators- the name just says it all

Culven
09-08-2009, 08:25 AM
Ranged - Heavy Flamer
Melee - Nemesis Force Weapon in the hands of a Grey Knight Grand Master

RocketRollRebel
09-08-2009, 08:41 AM
Ranged-Demolisher Cannon. Nothing quite says "bang you're dead" like that bad boy ;)

Close Combat-Power Fists. Marine Sgts/Aspiring Champs should never leave home without it.

TSINI
09-08-2009, 09:07 AM
Ranged-Demolisher Cannon. Nothing quite says "bang you're dead" like that bad boy ;)

i have to say, as a guardsman, i know that a medusa seige cannon does it better ;) it's more of a "BOOOOM you're dead"

Aldramelech
09-08-2009, 09:31 AM
I like Missile launchers! Versatile.

Ducks back behind sofa and awaits incoming!

oni
09-08-2009, 09:46 AM
The melta-gun is damn good for ranged weapons; cheap and effective, but I like my old stand-by the heavy bolter. Three 36" shots at S5 is pretty good I think. I don't have a favorite for assault, but I'd pick power weapons in general because they negate armour saves.

Warfare
09-08-2009, 10:22 AM
Prism Cannons
Nemesis force weapons

person person
09-08-2009, 11:46 AM
PLASAMA CANNONS: They may not be the most effective, but they look awesome and when you have 4 in a dev. squad they make termies soil themselves.

CHOPPAS & CHAINAXES: Nothing says "I don't care about you power fist like 120 str. 4 attacks or 80 str. 4,WS. 5 attacks.

DarkLink
09-08-2009, 12:33 PM
Nemisis Force Weapons: just plain awesome, especially on Grand Masters.

Incinerators: Because nothing says "I don't care about being outnumbered 4 or 5 to 1" like tankshocking with a land raider and double incinerating the unit (I once killed 22 grots with 2 incinerators in one shooting phase doing this), then assaulting.

Drew da Destroya
09-08-2009, 02:02 PM
I like Snazzgunz, personally. Fun to convert, and melting marines away is always nice. Plus, gitfindas!

CC? I really wish my Warboss could swing around a Thunderhammer. I don't even want the Stormshield cheese, I just think the hammers look badass. Lightning Claws are pretty cool looking, too, but I'll stick to Power Klaws overall.

Mystery.Shadow
09-08-2009, 04:02 PM
Ranged: The Tau Hammerhead version of the RailGun.

Close Combat: A Carnifex.

Psychosplodge
09-08-2009, 04:57 PM
PLASAMA CANNONS: They may not be the most effective, but they look awesome and when you have 4 in a dev. squad they make termies soil themselves.

+1

Plasma cannons, you can never have enough, watching your opponents face as his entire squad vapourises is somewhat priceless...

CC? the humble chainsword just for the imagery...

Farsight
09-08-2009, 04:59 PM
Ranged: Tau plasma rifle, doesn't overheat and makes a mess of terminators :)

Assault: Lightning Claws

Dia
09-08-2009, 06:52 PM
Ranged & Melee: Thunderhammer.

The right tool for the right job. :D

MajorSoB
09-08-2009, 07:59 PM
Ranged- Sonic Weapons, like the Sonic Blaster and Blastmaster ( they are cool because they offer a heavy and assault setting! ). I also like the Doom Siren that you can give a Noise Marine Champ ( AP3 flamer ).

Close Combat- Deamon weapons come to mind due to their sheer randomness. I also like a variety of Dark Eldar weapons like the Agonizer and Wyche weapons.

entendre_entendre
09-08-2009, 08:57 PM
do apocalypse weapons count? if so then any gun on a warlord. volcano cannon FTW.
regular 40k? ranged: demolisher cannon
close combat: Daemon sword Drach'nyen & Talon of Horus S8 w/ re-rolls + up to 10 A's? Hell to the yeeah!
oh... "normal ccw's"... hmmmm.... : chainfist. like a powerfist but more BA

Magos Bellum
09-08-2009, 09:13 PM
Close Combat: Nemesis Force Weapon

Ranged: The Manticore's Storm Eagle Rockets, obliterates vehicles and hordes and can do a good deal of damage to 3+ and 2+ sv. units.

Inquisitor Soren
09-08-2009, 09:26 PM
Ranged: Assault Cannon, Even with the nerf-bat it warms my heart to no end. And saves me, a lot.

Close-Combat: Erm, how bout a top three?
Power Weapon: Best fall back weapon, ever.
Nemesis Force Weapon: In the hands of Justicars and up these things are insane. But they make them so expensive.
Relic Blade: Ok, so you lose your additional CC attack (I think, my codex is MIA) but now your a S6 power weapon wielder these are slightly better and slighty worse than the NFWs at the same time, but I love them with all my heart...now if my DA only got them...

CAPTAIN SPAGNOULO
09-08-2009, 11:08 PM
Ranged- Sternguard Bolter, Nice little tool kit
Close Combat - Lightning Claw, Never know when you might need the wound re-roll

Sitnam
09-09-2009, 12:13 AM
Ranged:Sterguard bolter (I love versatility. The Missile launcher, Psycannons, Blastmasters and Sonic Blasters are also candidates. They can all be used for a variety of situations effectively)

Melee: Powerclaw (While just an Ork powerfist, I feel these things add on so much to a Ork mob, more so then what power fists add on to for most other squads. Plus, due to the fact Orks nearly always strike last, there isnt much of a drawback. Combine with high Strength and Attacks of a Nob and think we have the most effecient user of a powerfist ever.)

Drunkencorgimaster
09-09-2009, 06:39 AM
+1

Plasma cannons, you can never have enough, watching your opponents face as his entire squad vapourises is somewhat priceless...

Tough call. I love those mini-sunburst plasma cannons too, but I gotta agre with Oni. The heavy bolter has very nice range, rate of fire, and decent punch but is insanely cheap (free in a 10-man tactical squad).

Duke
09-09-2009, 02:57 PM
Ok, I am going with which fluff I like instead of rules...

Ranged: Shuriken Catapult- What is better than a ninja star? Hundreds of them (With monomolecular blades)!

Close combat: Chainsword- Why? well... Sword= Cool, Chainsaw= cool, Sword+Chainsaw= PURE AWESOME!

Duke

Prometheus
09-09-2009, 04:11 PM
Close Combat: A Carnifex.

I am officially changing my answer from Thunderhammer to Carnifex. Sir, you are a genius.

Johan
09-10-2009, 01:06 AM
My choice would be a storm bolter for ranged and a thunderhammer for up close.

HellCrusader
05-10-2010, 10:31 AM
Ranged: old deathwatch assault type heavy bolters with special ammo
Close combat: lightning claws

david5th
05-10-2010, 12:56 PM
[QUOTE=person person;17487]PLASAMA CANNONS: They may not be the most effective, but they look awesome and when you have 4 in a dev. squad they make termies soil themselves.

+ The image of firing miniature suns at face of people is wonderful.

CC - Thunder Hammers - like a Power fist but with added Thor.

Fellend
05-10-2010, 02:15 PM
Holy Orb of Antioch. Bane of all 1 wound models, with built in Monty Python Joke

Lightning Claws 8 reasons why you are going to have very bad day.

Old_Paladin
05-10-2010, 03:10 PM
Ranged: Shock Attack Gun. Both the rules and the fluff are great.
Melee: Tank Hammers. Have people not seen the youtube clip of the San Juan sludgehammer festival?

Dralafi
05-11-2010, 12:39 AM
Ranged: Sternguard bolters
Melee: Relic blades quickly followed by Frost Blades

LoverzCry
05-12-2010, 07:59 AM
Hmm that's tough.

Ranged: Demolisher Cannon (Vindicator Weapon). Tank, troops, Dreadnought, whatever it be it's gone now. BOOSH!

Close Combat: Chainsword. Not for stats of course, but just because it's a bloody chainsword! Vroom-vroom

eldargal
05-12-2010, 08:12 AM
Melee: Singing Spear. My farseer does wonderful things with her Singing Spear, including kill Abbadon 13 times* as of last week.

Ranged: Firepike. Landraiders, lol.

*Every time they have met in batlte, ha.

Denzark
05-12-2010, 08:49 AM
Ranged - my Warhound's turbolasers come in a close second to my LR Demolisher - main gun on the Commissar's tank.

Close Combat? Only Gorechild will suffice...

Sparda
05-12-2010, 09:03 AM
Ranged: Plasma Cannon, there just so huge and look cool.

Close Combat: Relic Blade, massive 2 handed sword = awesome.

Fizzics
05-12-2010, 09:36 AM
Heavy Flamer. Best weapon ever

Plaxor
05-14-2010, 06:27 AM
Ranged: Plasma Gun. Worse than a hellgun in dark heresy, better than one in 40k. I like my inconsistent weaponry.

Melee: Definitely Carnefex, but for the serious, chainfist, I mean who ever thought that strapping a chainsaw to a powerfist would give it extra penetration? I mean... I don't see the connection....

L192837465
05-14-2010, 10:11 AM
My favorite weapon of all time is a meltagun or any variant. Nothing says "I love you" like a superheated plasma beam capable of decomposing matter into its basic elements. That includes your soul.

PedroKantor
05-15-2010, 11:00 PM
i have to say, as a guardsman, i know that a medusa seige cannon does it better ;) it's more of a "BOOOOM you're dead"

100% agree my friend!!!!

Melissia
05-15-2010, 11:13 PM
Hard to say... but I kinda like my Blessed Weapon in general, because it gives so much area for customization. Giant swords, axes, hammers, flails, spears...

BuFFo
05-15-2010, 11:20 PM
Conversion Beamer from 2nd Edition.

Tacoo
05-20-2010, 05:54 PM
Ranged & Melee: Thunderhammer.

The right tool for the right job. :D

agree with ranged part, never leave home with out arjack and his magical hammer

but for melee, Warscyth, 2d6 pens, ignores all save types is all i ever need. now if only i could mount it on a competent person

Crae
05-21-2010, 06:00 AM
Ranged: Aux. grenade launcher with a Vortex grenade. Somehow a shoulder mounted grenade launcher and a grenade that will remove you from existence is...kewl!!

Closecombat...hmmm....

Neuro gauntlet - Because running around yelling "Tag your it!!!" with bodies falling to the ground is way to cool to be ignored
or
C'tan phase sword - Because who doesn't like a shimmering blade popping out your wrist, that ignores both armour and shields :cool:

Gnoblar with Pointy Stick
05-21-2010, 07:33 AM
I'll have to say a dreadnought for both.
I think it's could be considered a weapon.

Either way, dreadnoughts are "cool like the other side of the pillow".

Torcano
05-21-2010, 09:57 AM
Ranged- new winner for me...the HAND FLAMER. Dropping 3 of these in Sanguinary or Command squad with 1-2 flamers is lots of fun.

Melee- Hands down, no contest: The C'tan Phase Sword.

DarkLink
05-21-2010, 11:21 AM
Ranged- new winner for me...the HAND FLAMER. Dropping 3 of these in Sanguinary or Command squad with 1-2 flamers is lots of fun.

You know that sanguary guard can't actually take them, right? Stupid, I know.

Extinction Angel
05-21-2010, 01:57 PM
Ranged: Ork battlewagon with battering ram.

Close Combat: Ork Battlewagon with battering ram filled with nobs.

Archon
05-21-2010, 07:06 PM
Vehiclemounted weapons (and Apo-Funnys) aside:

Range: Heavy Bolter, Close: Deamonweapon

Specific:

DE: Close - Agoniser, Range - Splintercannon

CSM (EC): Doomsirene - Powerweapon

CSM (IW): Meltagun - Powerfist

Tau: Missile Pod - None

LatD (IG): Mortar - Lasgun with Bajonet

scadugenga
05-21-2010, 10:04 PM
Ranged: Shuriken Reaper Cannon w/Bio-explosive Shuriken. (fluff is awesome, rules were even better in 2nd ed.)

HtH: Harlequin's Kiss. (Same as above)

Madness
05-23-2010, 03:03 AM
Power sword and master crafted plasma pistol, for added versatility and not-explodingness. Maybe throw in a lasgun for very long range fights, but it's secondary.

Malkov
05-23-2010, 10:31 AM
Ranged - Demolition Charge. I have crazy luck with these, and with SWS in a Valk and Marbo, you know they'll get to where they need to be.

CC - C'Tan Phase Sword. Nuff said