PDA

View Full Version : Need Help with Personalized Banners

Dont-Be-Haten
09-21-2011, 02:55 PM
So recently I've finished painting some of my standard banners in a few of my units and a couple of chariots I have designed (drawn) some personalized banners on paper, but I'm having trouble transferring them from the paper to the banner. I've thought about converting them to trace paper and then dipping them in cool water and then applying them the banner and then paint the lines, but I'm definitely thinking about going a different route since the water seems to obscure the lines (even with them over traced in black ink). Suggestions?

Hope for replies soon!~
Thanks again!
-DBH

magickbk
09-21-2011, 06:34 PM
I think you can buy paper for your printer that would let you scan in your originals and then print them on waterslide transfer paper, or stickers of some kind.

Something like this, although you might find ones that are better for models:

http://www.amazon.com/Pavelka-327011-Waterslide-Transfer-Blank/dp/B003CC1Y2Q

Lunar Camel
09-22-2011, 09:20 AM
You're on the right track. Copy your design onto tracing paper, perferably in ink. On the reverse side, trace the design in pencil (use a mechanical pencil to get crisp, sharp lines). Place the paper on the surface you want the design (you can use a small dab of white glue in the corners to keep it in place). Now, trace over the ink side design with the mechanical pencil. This will transfer the design to the banner. If the background of the banner is dark, paint the banner a light color first (white or a lighter color that is the fill color of the design). Then just paint the darker background around the design. I've done this on almost all my banners and it comes out great.

I'll try to post some pix to give you examples.

Thornblood
09-22-2011, 04:22 PM
2D images look better, cleaner and crisper with a black outline. If some very thin black paint or ink isnt up to the task (i sometimes use artists ink) then a really thin fibretip pen (like 0.5 or smaller) can do the trick over the shaded blocks of colour on your design.

Fibretip pens thinner than a 3 however are very delicate. Dont press hard at all or you will wreck the nib. They cost about £2- £3 in the UK and you can get them from almost any dedicated stationers.

Lunar Camel
09-22-2011, 11:16 PM
Here's an example of the method I was talking about:

http://creativeminiaturehobbies.com/images/july_august_102_187x250.jpg

Hope it helps.

Dont-Be-Haten
09-23-2011, 02:52 PM
Hey Lunar Camel, Magickbk, and Thornblood;

Thanks oh so much for all of your imput. It is all rather helpful. I think I will experiment with all of those ways, the old cut up T-shirt idea sounds absolutely brilliant. Then the carbon paper idea is definitely sound (transfer paper). Lastly Lunar; your idea sounds about like what I was orignally attempting minus the glue etc. and I would like to see your creations but unfortunately there is an error message that states; free accounts are not allowed to see remote linking which is definitely a bummer. /:

I really appreciate all of your help ladies and gents!
Keep the replies coming!~
The ruddy questionaire,
-Dont-Be-Haten

Meph
10-11-2011, 10:44 AM
Oh, and another top tip when printing on waterslide transfers, make your designs two or three times larger when designing them and painting them. Then scale them down and they will look a lot crisper and more to scale.

You can either hand paint them and then scan them, or make them fully digital.

Decal paper can be easily found on ebay, both for inkjets and laser printers. Be sure to fixate the inkjet prints with a spray of varnish or they will run when covered with fluid. ^^

weeble1000
10-11-2011, 12:48 PM
BOLS has a nice tutorial on how to make and apply custom decals (http://www.belloflostsouls.net/2010/12/tutorial-custom-decal-sheets.html).

Old_Paladin
10-11-2011, 09:43 PM
Maybe I'm underthinking the problem, but why not just use your normal paper as the banner?

You let the paper soak in a 50/50 water/white glue mix (make sure that the ink you use doesn't run). You attach the banner to the pole, let it dry out completely and then seal it with a matt spray. The glue hardness the paper so it stays rigid and strong; it's simple but I've seen it work.