PDA

View Full Version : 40K player starting FoW

Lunar Camel
09-22-2011, 11:23 AM
So some friends and I have taken the plunge and started Flames of War. We are avid 40K players (years and years) so we may be stuck in that mindset. We have the Open Fire starter set, Fortress Europe, and North Africa books. So here's the questions we have:

How do the points system work? Is it like 40K with a set limit? We've looked through all the books and cannot find point levels to play at (1000, 1500, etc).

What point levels do tournaments play at?

Like 40K, you have to have a command and two platoons, but are there any limits on the others (support,etc)?

We've played around with the starter set models and scenarios and like the game play. Now we're ready for the next level but we're not sure where thats at.

Thanks for they help.

Iceman
09-22-2011, 12:03 PM
Points system is similar to 40K. You set a limit for the game. The standard seems to be 1500 points.
Tournaments will vary.
There are specific limits on the other force organization units. I don't have the books in front of me, but the Fortress Europe and North Africa books should spell it out. There is some variance in what you can get depending on the type of unit (Armored Company, Rifle Company, etc.) If I remember correctly, you are limited to 1 or 2 of the various support platoons.

Remember that both players have to choose units from the same period of the war (Early, Middle, Late). The points values actually change between the periods. A Panzer IVG costs more in a Middle period Panzer Kompanie than it does in a Late war Panzer Kompanie.

piperider361
09-23-2011, 05:10 AM
In the current edition, you are not limited on support platoons. You just need to take the minimum combat platoons that are shaded black in the army list (sometimes 1, usually 2, rarely 3) and the HQ. You could then take all the rest in divisional support if you wanted to.

I mean, it's true that for every 20 riflemen there were 15 tanks and a full artillery division, right???

bladeofdeath3
03-22-2012, 03:31 AM
Mid War 1500 points is a good place to start. Just like 40k, you have compulsory choices (1 HQ and 2 Troops). The HQ is usually your 1st in command and your second in command. Depending on what army you're playing, they could either be infantry squads or tanks. They can also take special weapons to support them like mortar or anti-tank teams (kinda like a retinue). The 2 troops are the main substance in your army. They're what type of army you are running (tank platoons in a panzerkompanie, infantry in grenadiers). When it comes to building armies, the flames of war uses a slightly different system. Instead of having 2 HQ, 6 Troops, 3 Fast attack and 3 heavy support like in 40k, flames army lists give you options based on what lists you're running.

Brother Glacius
03-23-2012, 11:02 AM
1500pts seems to be the MW standard, 1750 for LW. If you play larger games at MW, you will notice a power creep in German forces.

As for army selections, just follow the list guides. They give you the limits on what units you can take and how many. Do make sure you and your friends use the same book for building lists at this point.

Honestly, what I'd suggest is start small, 500pts or so, and work your way up from there. Both NA and FE have plenty of choices, so you should have no problem finding some list that appeals to you.

If you guys are interested in keeping up with what is new, I'd suggest using FE. Battlefront has pretty much covered MW and won't be doing much with it. LW is still pumping out new books and models. I like MW better myself but have to admit the new stuff for LW is sweet.

Do try to keep your armies from the same theatre though. That is the one issue I have seen. An Afrika list doesn't stand much chance against an Easter Front list. The point values should work out...but it doesn't seem to fall that way on the table.