PDA

View Full Version : Dreadnought background...

turelhim vampire
09-09-2009, 07:04 AM
Below is some background information I did on one of my Salamanders Dreadnoughts - Ancient He'stor. Let me know what you think...

============================

Ancient Brother He'stor was a techmarine of the Salamanders chapter up until the decade preceding the third war for Armageddon. Tasked with defending the outer walls of a hive from a Greenskin Waaaagh! – Along with half a company of marines and a regiment of PDF, he managed to strengthen the defences to give the rest of the his company a chance to evacuate the hive's population. Considered almost miraculous that he managed it at all, hope began to return to the Imperial forces.

Unfortunately all this came close to coming undone when - during the greenskin assault - a mob of Kommandos, under the leadership of the infamous Boss Snikrot, managed to bring down the hive wall along one stretch that had until now been considered impossible to breach.

With the rest of the defenders already committed, He'stor had but a platoon of guardsmen and three thunderfire cannons all slaved to his signum to hold back the tide of greenskins that attacked the moment the wall was breached. Testament to his supreme technical skills and his fiery resolution that the hives citizens be given every chance to survive, not a single greenskin crossed through the breach.

In the end, the thunderfire cannons were still tracking targets, despite having depleted their ammo hours before. The guardsmen were all dead, having sold their lives dearly to the last heroic man. At the last, only Snikrot remained, seeing an adversary worth of his skill.

He'stor was found at the battles end, his sus-an membrane having shut his body down into a coma. Of Snikrot there was no sign, but the putrid stench of greenskin blood and one of the master Kommando's wicked blades embedded in the techmarines chest showed that the two had fought until neither could continue.

Wounded beyond saving, He'stor was never the less honoured for his great sacrifice, and awakened weeks later clad in a new suit of armour: Dreadnought armour.

Taking to his new form without word, He'stor set about ordering the junior techmarines under his command to modify the armour so he could continue to do his duty as a member of the chapters smithy.

During the Salamanders initial planet strike at the beginning of the third war for Armageddon he - along with another dreadnought known as Vash'ik, were drawn off course when their drop pods locked onto a locator beacon captured by an Ork big mek and taken aboard one of their massive Rok's - which had landed weeks prior to the marines arrival. Thinking his fortress under a major assault, the big mek ordered the force field be raised, masking the locator beacons signal and stranding the two dreadnoughts aboard the Rok.

Alone and without re-enforcement the pair of dreadnoughts waged a week-long war against the greenskins guarding the massive meteor-fortress, culminating in a final strike against the force field generator in the heart of the fortress. Their ammunition spent days before, the pair took the generator chamber with their close combat weapons alone, and Vash'ik finally destroyed the generator with his chainfist. The shield down, Chapter Master Tu'shan and his Firedrake terminators teleported into the heart of the Rok. He'stor and Vash'ik defended the generator chamber until the Chapter Master arrived, and together they took the fortress apart from the inside out. It was to be the first of many Rok's to be destroyed by the Salamanders, the dreadnoughts participating in the destruction of a further three.

RocketRollRebel
09-10-2009, 01:03 AM
Good stuff I like it! Have a mini to represent this lil guy?

turelhim vampire
09-10-2009, 01:29 AM
Yes, I have built a model already, here are as many photos as I can find of him:

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa117/turelhimvampire/Salamanders/IMAG0033-1.jpg
http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa117/turelhimvampire/Salamanders/IMAG0034-2.jpg

And a before painting shot, to show his front better:
http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa117/turelhimvampire/Salamanders/Picture018-1.jpg

RocketRollRebel
09-10-2009, 01:35 AM
Very nice, that's an impressive homemade dread you've got there with a nice back story to boot! Always the best kinda minis :)

mercer
09-10-2009, 05:12 AM
I'm liking the background, very nice 8) . Liking the model too but not sure on the front piece. A ironclad body would have suited perhaps because the front panels look-a-like a techmarines.

krispy
09-10-2009, 05:55 AM
i liked the story and im nicely impressed with the scratchbuilt dread - good job! :)

Emperorsmercy
09-10-2009, 11:06 AM
Ah, I d love a bit of Salamander stuff. Not too sure on the front of the model though, a bit too... circular. :) Otherwise a great job.

rsheridan5
09-15-2009, 08:36 PM
That is a good story. I like the unique nature of a techmarine dred. Do you have a stat line for him, and what sort of special abilities does he have?
Also can he still operate the cannons?

sicarius2424
09-20-2009, 11:26 AM
yeah really cool dread man and background but yeah do you have any rules for the dread and points alsocause that would make it better

Kanaellars
09-20-2009, 12:54 PM
I love the idea of a techmarine dread.

Personally, I would think that a standard dread (or seige dred or ven dread) points cost, +50 points would cover it.

For those points I would give the model "Blessing of the Ommissiah" and the ability to opperate thunderfire cannons (purchased as normal)

I would also make a point in writing the rules that the dred is able to attempt repairs on himself, providing his servo-arm is working, and count the arm as an extra weapon point as far as "weapons destroyed" results are concerned.

Thats just my on the fly thoughts though.

Andrew283
09-20-2009, 01:58 PM
Yayyy more love for my precious Salamanders :D