PDA

View Full Version : Valkyrie Hellstrike Missles?

Dbrinson
09-09-2009, 09:14 AM
I read the thread on ig faq. Still lost on the topic of a non blast ordinance weapon. Does this mean the use do not use the marker and just get the 2d6 take the highest for armor pen. Kinda of lost on the fact that the weapon was great the way it was and maybe they need to be a little more clear on that. read the rule book and could not find the no blast ordinance weapon in it.

Exitus Acta Probat
09-09-2009, 09:44 AM
Covered in another thread, but to re-iterate..

BRB Pg 58 "unless their profile specifies otherwise, all ordnance blast weapons (emph mine) us the large blast marker".

the only guarantee you have with ordnance is that if it's blast, it's big blast (barring 'dex specific rule).
Hellstrikes are not blast, thus not large blast.
They DO grant the 2d6 pick the highest.
Frankly, they are a waste... You may only shoot one of them per turn no matter what, as they qualify as ordnance. I used the missiles to make my Manticores! :)
Just upgrade to MRP's (as they rock) so you don't have to worry about it! :D

Jwolf
09-09-2009, 11:18 AM
100% with EAP on this one. MRPs are amazing weapons that kill everything by volume of wounds.

AirHorse
09-09-2009, 11:32 AM
yeah, thats how its always been, it was just easy not to realise till the faq pointed it out. Seems silly though if you ask me, i think hellstrikes would actually be perfect if they had a blast....i mean paying 30points for two defensive large blast weapons instead of two single shot ordnance blast weapons is totaly reasonable. I was a bit disapointed they didnt say "oops its meant to be a blast" in the faq :/

DarkLink
09-09-2009, 01:54 PM
Yeah, I really don't know why you would pick two hellstrike missiles over either a three TL Lascannon Vendetta, or the large blast missile pod thingies (don't feel like looking up the actual name).

Xas
09-09-2009, 03:26 PM
if the valkyrie had the vendettas missiles (for free at 100pts for the whole thingy) they would be worth it to take on a cheap anti-infantry / just transport vehicle. then you had the scatter laser and 2 one-shot blasts that burn trough cover.

for the real hellstrikes to be usefull they valk would either need bs4 or be able to fire both at same time (could be a nice use for a valky that is mostly used to deliver outflanking to a squad. flankmove 6", unload passengers and blast the rear of a tank with 2 s8 and 3s6 shots and 6 s5 shots.)

Dbrinson
09-10-2009, 02:31 PM
but does it say that they are treated as non-blast ordinance weapons in the newly released faq. Does this mean the get the extra dice but no large blast marker. or if someone has a page number in the RB would be nice

Nabterayl
09-10-2009, 03:17 PM
Page 56 of the IG Codex lists Hellstrikes as "Ordnance 1, One-Shot" weapons.

Page 60 of the rulebook states that "Ordnance weapons (including Ordnance Barrage) ... roll two dice instead of one and pick the highest result!" (emphasis added).

Page 58 states that unless specified otherwise, "all ordnance blast weapons use the large blast marker" (emphasis added).

As the above three quotes should demonstrate, nothing in the rulebook states that ordnance weapons inherently use the large blast marker. Ordnance blast weapons use the large blast marker by default, but not weapons that are merely ordnance. The IG errata do not state that the Hellstrike is supposed to be "Ordnance 1, Blast, One-Shot" or "Ordnance 1, Large Blast, One-Shot," so the Hellstrike is definitely a non-blast ordnance weapon and thus does not use a blast marker of any size.

That makes Hellstrikes essentially one-shot 72" lascannons (average armor penetration roll on 1d6 is 3.5; best of 2d6 is 4.5) that prevent you from firing any other weapons. A 72" lascannon isn't inherently bad, but when you factor in One-Shot, BS3, and not being able to fire other weapons, you can see why people are kind of underwhelmed by them.

Dbrinson
09-11-2009, 08:33 AM
thanks for the last post. Well that takes the valkyrie down a notch in my opinion. i will still use them. i guess i will either eat the cost of the MRP's or mount some door bolter and fly around and shoot. thanks for the post all