PDA

View Full Version : Back Into Ogres

AsgeirArnald
10-08-2011, 11:06 AM
Well with the new ogre book (and my relative disappointment with my orcs since their new book), I decided to shelve my beloved Orcs & Goblins for a while and pull the ogres out of the closet and buy some shiny new models for them! This is my current list for an upcoming 2200 tourney.

Slaughtermaster- Level 4, Fencer's Blades, Greedy Fist

Butcher- Level 2

10x Bulls- Ironfists, Full Command, Lookout Gnoblar

10x Bulls- Ironfists, Full Command

5x Mournfang Cavalry- Ironfists, Heavy Armour, Full Command, Brace of Ogre Pistols on the Crusher, Dragonhide Banner

3x Yhetees- Greyback

1x Thundertusk

1x Ironblaster

Total- 2198 points

The slaughtermaster will have lore of beasts, the butcher will have lore of the great maw. The general idea is to beef the units up with augment spells and run them into stuff and kill it (Surprise, surprise). Ive only played one game with the list so far and it went pretty well. I havent played all that much in 8th ed so any comments and criticisms will be helpful!

lowdog
10-13-2011, 02:53 PM
I would swap your lores. I think the regenerative ability will come in more use for your slaughtermaster general, who can also take more hits. Plus, if you get Transformation, the Butcher's stat line is in more need of buffing (plus he doesn't have any magic items to "lose" during the transformation).

I would also drop one Mournfang Cav, pick up a bull, and split into 3 units of 7, rather than 2 units of 10. The 7th Ogre can soak up wounds to protect your rank bonus, but since the 3rd rank is not providing Monstrous Support, you are paying more points for a +1 rank bonus than you will get use out of another unit.

And I'd completely swap the Yhetees for Ironguts or Maneaters.

AsgeirArnald
10-14-2011, 10:35 AM
Thanks for the advice! The yhetees are pretty much just a placeholder until I purchase a couple more maneaters, so they"ll be gone soon. I played a few more games switching the lores on my characters, and (this may be just a coincidence) I lost both games that the Slaughtermaster had the maw. When he has beast, I've had amazing success casting the savage beast of horros on himself, plus if needed he can cast it on himself AND the butcher, which has also gone very well. I really like having the 3 units of bulls instead of 2 though, I've been able to be much more versatile with my tactics.