PDA

View Full Version : SM Scout Biker Rules

40kGamer
09-09-2009, 01:24 PM
I've been debating adding these guys into the rotation but need help with a couple of the rules.

1. Can the Scout Sgt upgrade his bike to have a grenade launcher? Offhand I thought no - but you can take a unit of 3 bikes and upgrade up to 3 bikes with grenade launchers so I'm thinking maybe he can!

2. Cluster Mines - these look like they could be fun. So you declare that you are using booby traps and write down which piece of area terrain you are mining. If during deployment your opponent places a unit in the terrain feature do you immediately resolve casualties?

Thanks for any help! :)

DarkLink
09-09-2009, 01:51 PM
1) There is no reason I can think of why one of the three bikers you can give grenade launchers to couldn't be the sargent.

2) The mines are activated "the first time a unit (friendly or enemy) moves into the [area]". So no, the enemy models are not removed during the deployment. In fact, it could be argued that in order to trigger the mines, the unit must start outside the area and then "move into" it, though the rest of the rule states that the unit only needs to move through the area ("...inflicts 2d6 hits on the unfortunate unit after the unit has finished its move.")

Rapture
09-09-2009, 04:53 PM
The grenade launchers, because of strict raw interpretation, are only available to scout bikers, not scout biker sergeants. This function similarly to the rules for an apothecary and company champion not being able to alter their wargear.

Nabterayl
09-09-2009, 05:24 PM
The grenade launchers, because of strict raw interpretation, are only available to scout bikers, not scout biker sergeants. This function similarly to the rules for an apothecary and company champion not being able to alter their wargear.

That would be true if the codex said that only Scout Bikers can have grenade launchers, but it doesn't. The codex does not say, "Up to three Scout Bikers may replace their bike's twin-linked boltguns with an Astartes grenade launcher." It says, "Up to three Bikers may replace their bike's twin-linked boltguns with an Astartes grenade launcher."

It's more reasonable to interpret "up to three Bikers" as applying to both Scout Bikers and Scout Biker Sergeants than it is to interpret it as applying to Scout Bikers only.

This is less like apothecary and company champion and more like the nob in a mob of boyz, where one ork per ten orks may have a special weapon (thus including the nob).

Rapture
09-09-2009, 07:58 PM
It's more reasonable to interpret "up to three Bikers" as applying to both Scout Bikers and Scout Biker Sergeants than it is to interpret it as applying to Scout Bikers only.

You are right. I read that somewhere and just assumed it was true. Now I have to rip the Bolters off the front of my poor sergeant.

40kGamer
09-10-2009, 07:56 AM
Thanks Guys!

It makes the Grenade Launcher a little more appealing for it to be BS4!