PDA

View Full Version : Epic Space Marines,I Need help!

FireChild
07-31-2009, 02:05 PM
I just started with epic a few weeks ago and I have fallen into sweet sweet love with it, though it is no replacement for 40k or for my gothic (all of which are themed after my beloved salamanders), I am having a tough time building a force of epic marines that works well, I have lost now multiple times to my friend who plays guard.

Due to guards superior # of models on the table and the fact that in epic defensively speaking hits are just as easy to cause to my tank as they are to yours, and yes 4+ armor on my predator is awesome but i only have 4 so even though we are elite I tend to die very easily, though realistic im at a loss as to how to resolve this, I have access to every model in the range so any advice anyone may have to this effect would be awesome.

P.S. it should say somthing that a powergamer like myself got monkeystomped like 5 times in a row and I still think I had the best minis experience ever, I do love me some epic. :cool:

Lux
07-31-2009, 02:14 PM
Space Marines in epic really are the scalpel army. Guard will massively out-range you. Orcs will outnumber you and because of those numbers, stand a good chance of outfighting you. Eldar can outmaneuvre you. What marines have is speed, resiliency, and solid hitting power. Use those strengths!

Thunderhawks and drop pods are great at getting your guys just where they need to be to pick on a flank or take out isolated units.

A chaplain or librarian with jump infantry or bikes makes for a really nice assaulting unit, especially when you've got devastators backing them up in the firefight.

If you're having trouble with artillery batteries sitting in the back and shooting you up at range, try teleporting terminators right next to them and assaulting. Your high strategy/tactical rating means you'll almost always get the option of going 1st against guard.

If you do need to come in on foot or in rhinos, use every bit of terrain you can, 4+ armor is great, but still dies pretty quickly.

A pair of warhound titans can put out lots of solid shooting. Many marine players swear by them.

As a guard player myself, those are the types of things that scare me when I play against marines. Orcs will require different strategies......

Lux

FireChild
07-31-2009, 02:19 PM
Absolutely Im playing my guard friend as we speak, im gonna need to pick me up some drop pods, but i do have multiple new delicious looking thunderhawks, i think ill use them to deliver my terminator companies and ill try the double warhound titans, to bad forgeworld disc those or i would buy more, thanks for the advice.

ill make a report afterwards and add more thoughts post battle. :cool:

FireChild
08-01-2009, 11:48 PM
Well Lux thanks for the ideas it seems to have gone much better than before, i still lost but now that my composition is better im gonna keep playing with it and hopefully improve with time, theres no need for a report on this one as the game was fairly lackluster.

Chris
08-03-2009, 12:19 AM
May I suggest you check out the salamanders army list?
http://www.tacticalwargames.net/forums/index.cgi?act=Attach;ID=8304;f=73;t=9842;p=210345
It does do the salamanders very well in Epic and is I believe, and the other playtesters, balanced.

GR00V3R
08-03-2009, 08:04 PM
In a post from a few months ago, there's a section in the second half discussing marines tactics. It may help you, but it sounds like you're already on The Good Path of Righteous Fury with your Salamanders:

http://www.belloflostsouls.net/2009/02/epic-death-from-above.html

Fight the good fight, brother! :)