PDA

View Full Version : Dawn of War + Land Raider

phoenyxx
09-09-2009, 03:33 PM
I am sure that I am just having a brain fart, but this has come up in the last two games I've played and I've failed to find it in the rules during the game.

If you are deploying in a Dawn of War situation (up to 1 HQ and 2 troops), can you deploy a unit of troops in a Land Raider? The LR was not chosen as a dedicated transport, but the troops are starting in the LR. If it was a dedicated transport, then obviously you can deploy the dedciated transport and its troop.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Nabterayl
09-09-2009, 03:54 PM
Remember that dedicated transports are not part of their "parent" unit for purposes of deployment, as spelled out on page 87. For purposes of deployment, a dedicated transport counts as a separate unit of the same type as its "parent" unit. So a Land Raider chosen as Heavy Support is a Heavy Support unit; if chosen as the dedicated transport of an Elites unit it's an Elites unit; if chosen as the dedicated transport of an HQ it's an HQ unit; etc.

Note that this means it is theoretically possible to deploy a Land Raider in a Dawn of War game, although it probably won't be able to start with anything inside of it. If you have an HQ with a Land Raider dedicated transport, then you could deploy the empty Land Raider as your one deployable HQ unit in Dawn of War, and then up to two Troops units as well.

phoenyxx
09-09-2009, 04:04 PM
Thanks!

That was my understanding of it as well.

I play CSM, so the LR can only be a dedicated transport for Terminators. Thus I could never deploy a LR as part of the deployment phase in a Dawn of War scenario. It can only ever be a Heavy (if chosen as its own entry) or an Elite choice (if deployed as the dedicated transport for termis).

Nabterayl
09-09-2009, 04:08 PM
In that case, you're doing it right.

Xar
09-10-2009, 03:12 PM
Note that this means it is theoretically possible to deploy a Land Raider in a Dawn of War game, although it probably won't be able to start with anything inside of it. If you have an HQ with a Land Raider dedicated transport, then you could deploy the empty Land Raider as your one deployable HQ unit in Dawn of War, and then up to two Troops units as well.

What HQ can take a land raider as a dedicated transport?

Culven
09-10-2009, 03:49 PM
What HQ can take a land raider as a dedicated transport?
Inquisitor Lords are the only one I am sure of at the moment.

Nabterayl
09-10-2009, 05:13 PM
Black Templar HQs can take a Land Raider Crusader, as well. Though I find it funnier to imagine an Inquisitor using his Land Raider for night patrols.