PDA

View Full Version : Selling armies you have, but seldom play

wittdooley
09-09-2009, 08:24 PM
So I have a pretty sizeable IG force. The problem is, I rarely play with them. I usually find myself playing with some iteration of my space marines, be it Salamanders, Blood Angels, or Ravenwing (and probably soon Space Wolves).

So... Do you think it's worth selling an army that you don't play with much, or should I just keep it? I was just wanting some other opinions, as I've been torn.

Thanks, and cheers!

Lord Inquisitor
09-09-2009, 08:33 PM
Guard is a pretty good army now a days. For me the Guard have always been my true love. I'd say play with them some and if you can't get much enjoyment out of them sell them.

Dia
09-09-2009, 08:44 PM
If you don't need the money, then there's no harm having them on-hand should you ever be inspired to start playing a guard army. But if you're 100% convinced that you'll never touch those models again, then go ahead and sell the army. You could always use the money to buy something else, right?

rsheridan5
09-09-2009, 08:48 PM
A large Guard contingent, and 3 (soon to be 4) Space Marine Armies seems like a great Apocalypse army... If you have 10 to 15000 pts total, you could make for a nice weekend long game.
If you need the money... Sell. But if I were you I would keep all of them, and try to set up some huge games!

PostWarFolk
09-09-2009, 09:20 PM
I'll take them off your hands for free as a generous gift.

ChrisW
09-09-2009, 09:34 PM
the only reason to sell an army:
1) you need the money.
2) your hobby space/time is shrinking and you have other armies.
3) can't stand to carry all the cases or look at them anymore.

i recently sold my Dark Angels that i've been collecting for (18) years due to due to primarily reason 2 with a bit of reason 1. it had a decient amount of legacy models that really drove the price up a bit. that helped.

i should also mention that i have a huge Chaos force(s) (with the daemons splitting out on their own now) and a friend got out of the hobby and sold me his stuff. my hobby space has shrunk by half. the remaining items i do have are still in storage cases piled chest high.... i got to get me a glass display case.

if you still like the guard (and they just did get some love from GW) let them sit on the shelf (or in the cases) for a while. get used to the idea of not having them and see how you feel.

also would be a good gift for a person to get into the hobby, you could sell at a 'here you go lets play' type deal ... or just ebay it. NOTE: e-bay and paypal will take their chunk of the sale you have been warned.

Evil-Termite
09-09-2009, 11:27 PM
I have three armies. Space Marines, Tau, and Eldar. Since I pumped all the money into them, I'm very careful to make sure that I use all of them, and once I start playing/building/painting any of the three, I start getting excited about them again. I alternate months on them so they all get played. I recommend at least trying this out with your guard. Every three months or so have IG month where that's the only army you play. If you don't like playing them after using them for a couple of IG months, then you probably are going to want to sell them.

I also get extra use out of my Tau because a friend of mine has been learning them and I play my marines and Eldar against him and we have a good time doing that.

So there are my ideas. Good luck.

Ulag Grimskar
09-09-2009, 11:54 PM
If you donīt need the money/space REALLY badly, then I also suggest you keep them.
When my brother dropped out of the hobby a few years past, I convinced him to not sell his Dark Eldar, and I sometimes use them as a means to get something different on the table, without having to paint up a complete new army. Itīs already there!
My friends and I sometimes play smallish campaigns, and I used Dark Eldar instead of my beloved Greenskins in the last. We all enjoyed it very much, it was a change for me, because I had something different to play, and for my mates, because they had something different to play against. Good times!
Also, this way you can always have an army ready in case someone wants to give your crazy army-men hobby a try, without having to pit Marines vs Marines, which is not appealing to new players in my experience.
The big games you could play with them and all your Marine forces sound tempting as well....

Long story short, keep them guys!

zed
09-10-2009, 12:34 AM
unless you need the money, put them in storage. You'll want them again some day. My space wolves are a perfect example. 7 years in cases and about to be put back in the cabinet

Denzark
09-10-2009, 12:49 AM
A few years ago, I sold my Orks, which I had been collecting since RT - this was 3rd Ed and I hated the new miniatures, seeming lack of intelligence and move away from what I call the 'Paul Bonner' Style (the artist who did the front of the source book Freebooterz).

THese were mostly painted and converted by my old man, who had represented 2 different GW shops at Golden Demon in the 90's - so bloody good.

I have regretted it ever since - I didn't need the money, didn't get enough for them (before my Ebay fu became good) and would love to have them back (if anyone bought a load of painted Space Orks from the little Toy Soldier Shop by the river in Cambridge I would pay mega pounds for them back...).

So I say no unless you are on the breadline or absolutley convinced that GW has nerfed your army never to be played again hang on to them.

sodcactus
09-10-2009, 04:27 AM
If the reason to sell them is that you play with them to seldom, never plan on having a family. If I had that as a factor of keeping/getting rid of an army I wouldn't have any army at all.

Too little time, too many hobbies :-)

wittdooley
09-10-2009, 09:52 AM
Thanks again, all!

I really like the IG month idea. I think I'm going to have to do that. I think I'll be a lot more prone to enjoying my IG when I miss them for a while.

Sweet, thanks for the input!