PDA

View Full Version : Concept army: "all' abhuman

gwensdad
09-09-2009, 09:45 PM
Here's just an idea I had (and may attempt to do) while in another thread about penal squads. The idea is that the majority of the army is abhuman or not "regular human" .

HQ
Primaris Psyker

ELITES
Ogryn Squad (5 man)
+chimera

Ratling squad (5 man)

Ratling squad (5 man)

TROOPS
Penal Legion Squad

Penal Legion Squad

Penal Legion Squad

Penal Legion Squad

These penal legion squads would be comprised of abhumans/subhumans like beastmen or other "undesirables".

This comes out to about 750 points. I'd have to add armor and other vehicles (maybe driven by subhumans or humans "convinced" to do so by the HQ) to grow it. This army could represent an all-canon fodder force or some sort of traitor guard formation.

Right now, this is just the start of a concept army, but does it have any potential?

RocketRollRebel
09-09-2009, 10:04 PM
Its an interesting concept but the big down side that I can see is a lack of much killing power along with no anti-tank to speak of. Maybe some sentinels and vehicles to pick up the slack and add a bit more punch? Also unless you are very attached to going all penal troops may I suggest using normal infantry squads in the same way? It would become more of a modeling project at that point I guess but I don't see why they couldn't be used as abhumans and still leave lots of room for an interesting looking army. A psychic choir would be a nice addition to the list to and would fit nicely with your fluff. Again it depends on how strict you want to be with your unit selections.

Desaster
09-09-2009, 10:51 PM
Well, no Anti-Tank-Firepower at all might be problem.
Maybe you include an infantry platoon of abhumans or some elite-beastmen (= veterans) instead of the rather mediocre Penal Legions.

gwensdad
09-09-2009, 11:05 PM
If I had the vehicles, I'm thinking Armoured sentinels and Bane Wolfs (wolves?) w/multimeltas.

Oh well, maybe if I win the lottery tonight...

Timbo
09-10-2009, 12:55 AM
Theme-wise I love it. It's a little light on anti-tank, but it's only a 750 point list! The Devil Dog (instead of that Bane Wolf you mentioned) gets a bunch of melta goodness into your force for not a lot of points. As already mentioned, a psychic choir fits the fluff and can provide anti-tank as well if it's at full-strength.

gwensdad
09-10-2009, 02:46 PM
I like the Bane Wolf because technically the chem-cannon is a S1 weapon, so it can more 12" and fire everything.
Great, now I'm talking myself into getting at least 1...

TSINI
09-10-2009, 07:17 PM
lol i like this army because it embraces all the things i personally dislike about the IG in 40k

don't get me wrong, i love the IG, i'm currently on my second guard army and i still love every second my conscripts are dying. but i have a certain amount of Sci-Fi expectations with any universe i immerse myself into. one is that i can ignore the religious aspect, and the other is that i can just concentrate on the "realistic bits" so my latest guard army is full of humans, in WW2 style themes and vehicles with futuristic guns etc.

conversly, your list jumps on psychers, ogres (IN SPAAACE!!!), dwarves (IN SPAAAAAAAAAAAACCE!!!), and beastmen (you get the idea)

and for that reason alone, i really want this to be a fantastic army.

gwensdad
09-11-2009, 11:09 PM
lol i like this army because it embraces all the things i personally dislike about the IG in 40k

<snip>

conversly, your list jumps on psychers, ogres (IN SPAAACE!!!), dwarves (IN SPAAAAAAAAAAAACCE!!!), and beastmen (you get the idea)

and for that reason alone, i really want this to be a fantastic army.

That just makes me want to add some Xeno Cav-rough riders riding cold ones. Mounted housemen (IN SPAAAAACCCCEEEEE!!!), maybe take 3 units of those instead of any sentinals or hellhounds.

TSINI
09-12-2009, 04:13 AM
That just makes me want to add some Xeno Cav-rough riders riding cold ones. Mounted housemen (IN SPAAAAACCCCEEEEE!!!), maybe take 3 units of those instead of any sentinals or hellhounds.

yeah they would fit in nicely, what would you use as riders though? more beastmen?

gwensdad
09-12-2009, 08:04 PM
yeah they would fit in nicely, what would you use as riders though? more beastmen?

I've already got regular cadians riding them, and doing another level of conversion has me dreading.
But I'll be at my mother's tomorrow looking for my old fantasy beastmen for the conversions to penal squads, and I finished painting the Ogryn today (may put pictures in the modeling forum)

gwensdad
09-30-2009, 04:18 PM
Army is all painted and list assembled. More "humans" than I'd like but 'ere we go:

HQ
Primaris Psyker
Primaris Psyker
(Psykers aren't really human, right?)(1 rides with the Ogryn)

Elites
Storm Troopers w/1 melta gun
Ratling squad (10 ratlings)
Ogryn Squad (5 big nasties) in a Chimera

Troops
Penal Squad
Penal Squad
Penal Squad
Penal Squad
Penal Squad
(Spam Spam Spam LOVELY SPAM!)
(Criminals aren't human either, right? Especially when some of them are beastmen minis or shaded to look like mutants of some sort)

Fast Attack
Rough Rider squad w/plasma pistol and 2 melta guns
Rough Rider squad w/plasma pistol and 2 melta guns
Sentinel Squadron (2 sentinels)(1 HK)
(Rough Riders modeled on Cold Ones)

Heavy Support
Leman Russ Squadron
Leman Russ Vanquisher w/lascannon, Storm Bolter, Hunter-Killer Missile, Dozer Blade
Leman Russ w/Heavy Flamer, Sponson Plasma Cannon, mounted heavy stubber
Leman Russ w/lascannon, Sponson Heavy bolters, Pintol mounted heavy stubber

Basilisk

Sentry Gun w/Heavy Bolters

OK, so repeat after me: OGRES..IN..SPACE! HOBBITS..IN..SPACE! FOREIGN LEGION..IN..SPACE! CAVALRY..IN...SPACE! Let by WIZARDS..IN..SPACE!
I think I will yell that as each deploys :)