PDA

View Full Version : Master of the Forge setup?

mercer
09-10-2009, 05:15 AM
I'm running a Master of the Forge in my Imperial Fists Planetstirke list, only reason is to get dreadnoughts in heavy support. I used a conversion beamer and power weapon setup, wasn't massively impressed. Conversion beamer isn't the best in planetstrike seems things drop on your door step, power weapon was ok.

I'm thinking of keeping the servo harness now and the power weapon and adding a combi weapon and digital weapons. MOF is geared for close combat and can support a combat squad in a bastion.

How do you do yours? :confused:

Chumbalaya
09-10-2009, 05:22 AM
I like the Conversion Beamer as it's cheap and can do some horrible things to people. Add a bike for mobility. I'd avoid decking him out for combat as he has no invulnerable save.

mercer
09-10-2009, 06:44 AM
I like the Conversion Beamer as it's cheap and can do some horrible things to people. Add a bike for mobility. I'd avoid decking him out for combat as he has no invulnerable save.

Thing is chumby I only use it in planetstrike games as a defending list. So mobile isn't needed to much and the conversion beamers range isn't utiliized, depending on drop zone.

Dosadi
09-10-2009, 07:02 AM
I've seen some people use a MotF with a Conversion Beamer on a bike. He just prowls along the board edge staying in that sweet spot of 42" away. However I personally think the conversion beamer is a waste of 20 points and you loose the servo harness if you give him the beamer (not a big deal). I just don’t think the conversion beamier is all that great. Perhaps if beamers had the melta rule, or allowed no cover saves they would be a worthwhile option.
I would leave him as naked as possible if I needed the Lord of the Armoury rule. That way you've got more points to sink into Dreadnoughts. ;)

Dosadi

Chumbalaya
09-10-2009, 09:33 AM
Thing is chumby I only use it in planetstrike games as a defending list. So mobile isn't needed to much and the conversion beamers range isn't utiliized, depending on drop zone.

In that case, I guess just add a power weapon and avoid things that negate your save. He's quite the little blender with that harness.

mercer
09-10-2009, 09:55 AM
Thats what I was thinking, throw in digital weapons so I can re-roll and possible a combi weapon of my choosing. I've got the points spare for wargear so why not?

If I was using it in a normal game then I would most likely go conversion beamer and bike.

josiah
09-10-2009, 11:13 AM
you cant have a conversion beamer and a power weapon look at your codex again.

Sharp
09-10-2009, 11:41 AM
What do you guys think of a Thunderhammer, Harness and CombiWeapon? Throw him in a combat squaded tac squad with matching assault weapon, sgt with another matching combiweapon and powerfist and Drop them in a pod?

Johan
09-11-2009, 02:24 AM
you cant have a conversion beamer and a power weapon look at your codex again.

The master of the forge replaces his boltgun and servoharness with the conversionbeamer. If I'm not mistaken the entry for the thunderhammer and powersword says he can take one of them, not replacing his boltgun with it (no codex on me now but I'll check when I get home). He can, however, not take a combiweapon with the conversionbeamer.

Anyway, I use him on a bike with conversionbeamer and powersword.

mercer
09-11-2009, 05:37 AM
The master of the forge replaces his boltgun and servoharness with the conversionbeamer. If I'm not mistaken the entry for the thunderhammer and powersword says he can take one of them, not replacing his boltgun with it (no codex on me now but I'll check when I get home). He can, however, not take a combiweapon with the conversionbeamer.

Anyway, I use him on a bike with conversionbeamer and powersword.

You are incorrect. The entry says replace harness and boltgun with conversion beamer, with a power sword or hammer your giving him one as he doesn't have a ccw to start off with. Obivously you cannot give him a combi bolter as his bolter is gone.

Johan
09-14-2009, 06:13 AM
You are incorrect. The entry says replace harness and boltgun with conversion beamer, with a power sword or hammer your giving him one as he doesn't have a ccw to start off with. Obivously you cannot give him a combi bolter as his bolter is gone.

Actually you wrote the same thing as me only worded it slighty different.

slobulous
10-14-2009, 11:39 AM
I run a MoF with thunder hammer for a cool 130 points in my Vulkan drop pod list that includes 5 Ironclads, 4 Tac Squads with multi meltas and flamers, and TH/SS termies. He is good close combat support for Vulkan and the termies.

DarkLink
10-14-2009, 02:01 PM
He looses his servo harness and boltgun when he takes a conversion beamer. Since the entry states "replace boltgun with combi [weapon], storm bolter or plasma pistol", a MoF with a conversion beamer cannont also have a combi weaon, storm bolter or plasma pistol.

However, the entry states "take either a power sword or thunder hammer". He does not need to replace any weapons in order to take the sword or hammer, so it doen't matter that he has replaced his boltgun and servoharness.

It is perfectly legal to take a conversion beamer and a powersword, though it is not legal to take a conversion beamer and a combi-plasma.

EmperorEternalXIX
10-14-2009, 02:18 PM
I used him all the time with the Conversion Beamer. He dies fast, but if he gets a shot of his Strength 10 AP1 -5 scatter blast usually destroys some big armor from across the table. He also weighs in at a nice light 125ish points I believe, and allows you to switch dreadnoughts into the mediocre heavy support slots, freeing up your elites for the other useful units in your list.