PDA

View Full Version : Techpriest Enginseer

Aldramelech
09-10-2009, 02:18 PM
Lots of lists for IG floating around on here, When one pops up I usually give it a glance out of interest, see the now standard "I like to take 25,000 melta guns" and move on.

But one thing I have noticed is that in most of them there is no Techpreist, in fact I don't think Ive seen one single list with one........

Why is this? Are they no good? Not worth the points? It cant be the model, which (in my opinion) is great.

Ive got one and will be painting it soon, will I ever use it? should I?

Chumbalaya
09-10-2009, 02:58 PM
They really aren't that good.

Too expensive, too easy to kill off, and his rules really don't benefit a mobile army.

Great model and good for casual games, but I don't consider him very competitive.

mountaincycle661
09-10-2009, 03:40 PM
I have a question about those enginseers....Now, i dont have my codex in front of me at the moment, so correct me if im wrong. But if i remember right, it says the enginseer can fix an immobilized result as well as a weapon destroyed result if he ends his movement in base contact with the vehicle in question.

So, can a techpriest fix a vehicle if hes INSIDE it? for example, a unit of 5 ogryns in a chimera, joined by a techpriest. The chimera becomes immobilized, ruining the ogryns chances of getting into combat quickly! But! the techpriest, inside the chimera, fixes the immobilized result and the fellas keep on rolling. Is this possible?

If it is, it really makes enginseers worth a second glance.

gwensdad
09-10-2009, 03:48 PM
So, can a techpriest fix a vehicle if hes INSIDE it? for example, a unit of 5 ogryns in a chimera, joined by a techpriest. The chimera becomes immobilized, ruining the ogryns chances of getting into combat quickly! But! the techpriest, inside the chimera, fixes the immobilized result and the fellas keep on rolling. Is this possible?

If it is, it really makes enginseers worth a second glance.

The problem isn't if he can fix it, it's by rule if he can be in the same transport. As was pointed out to me in a different thread, a techpriest isn't an independent character-he's his own unit (+ servitors) so he can't be in a vehicle with another unit. With that ruling, it doesn't see like techpriests will be spending much (if any) time in a transport.

Desaster
09-10-2009, 04:44 PM
By losing the ability to take a dedicated transport, the engineseer was rendered useless.
In the old dex he could provide a solid fire-base or some CC-Punch, but now he's only worth consideration in a 2500+ tank-heavy army.

Magos Bellum
09-10-2009, 06:27 PM
I use a techpriest with 4 servitors in most of my 1500pt+ armies mainly for fluff reasons. The unit really isn't worth the points, but can be suprisingly useful when you have a number of vehicles placed around some point (usually an objective. I tend to hide it behind the vehicles for safety (and because one laspistol is useless for long range shooting) where the techpriest can easily repair the vehicles, and since the entire setup is fairly close to the board edge, there is a cc threat zone protecting the rear armour of my vehicles.

For example, on one occasion, a lone obliterator deep struck directly behind my vehicle position, and stunned a Leman Russ Battle Tank with a multi-melta. In my next turn I charged the obliterator with my techpriest and servitors and killed it twice over while loosing one servitor. Point being, small, expensive units that strike with I1 in close combat have quite a bit to fear from a techpriest with a relatively large retinue in close combat thanks to servo-arms, and thus deter some nasty things from hitting your tank line from behind. Note: they can even kill Ironclad Dreads in CC, although this is difficult.

I have found that if I try to use my techpriest in any other manner, he is nearly useless, mainly because he has no dedicated means of transport and no mobile firepower.

Xas
09-10-2009, 06:40 PM
I like 2 techpriests with 4 man retinue both riding in zentaurs in apok... one for each leg of the reaver :)

what would interest me is if the vehicle can shoot the weapon in the SAME shooting phase that it is repaired or not. "following shooting phase" isnt clear for me especially if you take RAI into account. if it was meant to not shoot in the same phase GW could have worded it more clearly by saying "the weapon cannot shoot the turn it was repaired". the same helds true the other way round though.

so how do you play it?

Aldramelech
09-11-2009, 01:54 PM
Interesting..........

I have to say that I brought the model out of a sense of completeness/really liked it. My Army 501st CRgt (light) is largely an Infantry force so wouldn't really benefit from his presence and as of yet I have no servitors (and no plan to get any).

Might try him out for jollies....