PDA

View Full Version : 2000 Point non-mech Eldar

Tsear
09-10-2009, 07:23 PM
This army isn't like my mech, but it has a similar philosophy. Nothing happens until turn two, at which point I try to cause so much damage that my opponent can't hit me back hard enough.

HQ:

Autarch, Warp Jump Generator, Mandiblasters, Power Weapon, Fusion Gun: 125
Autarch, Warp Jump Generator, Mandiblasters, Power Weapon, Fusion Gun: 125

Troops:

13x Guardian, Bright Lance:110
13x Guardian, Bright Lance:110

Elites:

10x Striking Scorpions, Exarch with Scorpion's Claw, Shadowstrike: 207
10x Striking Scorpions, Exarch with Scorpion's Claw, Shadowstrike: 207

Fast Attack:

10x Warp Spider, Exarch with additional death spinner, powerblades, Withdraw: 262
10x Warp Spider, Exarch with additional death spinner, powerblades, Withdraw: 262

Heavy Support:

3x Warwalker, 2x Scatter Lasers each: 180

Total: 1996

Against most armies, though not against things like horde orks, I hold everything in reserve and outflank with warwalkers and scorpions. Everything comes in on turn two on a 2+, including deep striking warp spiders with Autarchs, and does as much damage as possible. I can even absorb the return damage decently well, seeing as most of my force has a 3+ save. Guardians are there to hold objectives, and I chose to give them lances rather than a scatter laser so that I can pose at least some threat to land raiders.

I think this army would be fun. It's not the most competitive, as it can get screwed by poor 2+ reserve rolls or deep strike mishaps, but it's still a serious contender. It's main weakness would probably be something like drop pod marines.

Thoughts?

PinoyC
09-11-2009, 12:27 AM
First off, am I missing something? What allows you to deploy via DS for the WS? I thought you needed "Surprise Attack".

Your lack of AT weaponry is kind of confusing considering the preponderance of vehicles this ed. Other than your 2 BLs & Fusion Guns you have nothing better than S6...you do have A LOT of S6 that could crush light armored armies and zilla lists

It's a light force that can be retarded nasty when you pop up...another problem though, sits after that turn, the WS are the only unit capable of moving over 6" w/o running and will end up in a concentration of fire on the WS.

Last thing I can think of ATM...squadrons of AV10...walkers no less...are way too easy to kill.

If you do run it, let us know how it does...I'd especially like to know how the WWs fare...the model update was amazing but as I said before...squadron rules are horrible in their case.

PC

PinoyC
09-11-2009, 12:52 AM
doh

vman
09-11-2009, 09:46 AM
seems like a relatively fast list to me

You could always substitute something for a sqaud of swooping hawks. Perhaps take slightly smaller squads of warp spiders and take a small squad of hawks.

That way you have the ability to deep strike near a priority vehice/titan/superheavy and "swarm" the priority with haywire grenades. Glances on a 2+, penetrates on a 6. Seems like average odds but when your rolling at least 5 of these your bound to do something even if its just removing a weapon, shaking the crew etc. If your lucky you can even destroy it.

Your spiders will never do anything decent to a vehicle because even if you hit a vehice in the back at AV10, your always going to be using an AP- weapon, which gives you a negative modifier on the vehicle damage table.

Besides these, seems like a fun list.

The scorpions would be awesome fun

09-11-2009, 12:58 PM
It might be fun to play until you get beat in the face over and over by anybody who brings a tank (i.e. every decent 5th edition list).

Will ruin horde orc and nid's day, but then what doesn't.

Tsear
09-11-2009, 10:23 PM
I don't think anti-tank will be as big a problem as many of you think. I can't do much against AV13-14, but that means that I'll only have trouble against vehicles that have AV14 all the way around. With outflanking and 12" jumping spiders, I should be able to hit side and rear armor, and that's always AV12 or less.

Random math tidbits: (A bit too lazy to find probabilities, so I'll just do expected values instead.)

Spiders + Autarch shooting at AV10 within melta range give an expected value of 1.27 vehicle kills. I'm pretty much guaranteed at least a few pens/glances, so worst case scenario I blow off a gun, immobilize, or at least keep it from shooting. Honestly, with 5+ pens/glances or so a turn, I don't even have to kill things that often. Keeping that in mind:

Spiders + Autarch shooting at AV10 outside of melta range give an expected value of 1.13 kills.
" " against AV 11, within melta: .821 expected kills
" " against AV 11, outside melta range: .64 expected kills
" " against AV 12, only the melta kills stuff, but I still have ~3 glances and maybe a lucky melta pen expected each turn.

Warwalkers against AV10: 1.33 expected kills.
Warwalkers against AV11: .666 expected kills.
Warwalkers against AV12: 2 expected glances.

So yeah, while my AT firepower is not the best for destroying things directly, I can shoot side/rear and get a good chance of causing enough damage to make me happy. It's like playing a tyranid army. Your AT is crap, but all you have to do is stun your opponents Leman Russes with your venom cannons. Except, unlike tyranids, this army eats up mech.