PDA

View Full Version : Barrage Overlap

Exitus Acta Probat
09-10-2009, 09:37 PM
So,
I have now found more than one group that doesn't realize this. It's a 4-5e throwback, so it's only slightly surprising...but...

Is there anyone else out there that missed that you can overlap Hits on the barrage rules with ANY template (or part thereof) in the barrage.
Thus, if you hit and hit again, you can stack them...and if you hit, flip, and then hit again, you can place the 3rd template ANYWHERE on ANY of the templates already placed?

I now understand why so many people didn't agree with my love for the Manticore! :)

Culven
09-10-2009, 11:27 PM
I'm not quite following. Are you claiming that subsequent Blast Markers can be placed so that they overlap the initial marker or do you just mean that they can each hit the same models?

Nabterayl
09-10-2009, 11:47 PM
He's claiming that
Subsequent blast markers can overlap the initial marker, if a hit is rolled for the subsequent blast markers, and
Subsequent blast markers can overlap subsequent blast markers, if a hit is rolled for the subsequent blast markers.
All of which is quite correct, according to page 32. So for instance, if you fire a triple barrage and the initial marker misses, but the second marker happens to scatter onto a more desirable target than the initial marker (remembering of course that the edge of the second marker has to touch the edge of the initial marker in the direction indicated by the scatter die for the second marker), and the third marker scores a hit, you can place the third marker on top of the second marker.

In other words, each marker laid down creates a legal placement zone for all subsequent markers that roll a hit.

Culven
09-11-2009, 12:02 AM
Huh, I never noticed that the markers could all be stacked if the subsequent shots all Hit. I guess I would be guilty of the Fourth Edition holdover, but then I haven't used any Multiple Barrages in Fifth Edition, so it hasn't come up. Good to know.

Ferro
09-11-2009, 01:06 AM
...and the third marker scores a hit, you can place the third marker on top of [or adjacent to in any direction] the second marker.

In other words, each marker laid down creates a legal placement zone for all subsequent markers that roll a hit.

Correct, just elaborated upon.
In a multiple barrage, subsequent hit rolls can be placed directly on top of previous hit markers, or touching an edge in the direction of your choice, or anywhere in between (partial overlap of the previous hit). It's extremely lenient. Your hits have the ability to daisy-chain across a significant area... or just stack like pancakes!

Exitus Acta Probat
09-11-2009, 06:30 AM
Yup,
My benadryl had kicked in by the time I got to writing this, so I wasn't as clear. Neb and Ferro cleaned it up a bit for me.
Seeing as how it wasn't as isolated a response as I thought, I figured I would bring it up here to make sure no one else was missing it.
I could see how someone would think a barrage unit was weaker if they did not know they could do this.

I still find the occasionally 4e hang-over getting me. Most often not optimally placing my assaulting units for multi-charges, or moving the models to better control flow. I still have trouble adapting to years of reflex. :)

Aldramelech
09-11-2009, 02:01 PM
It was after reading this rule and interpreting it as above that I decided to have 6 bases of Mortars in my army!:)