PDA

View Full Version : Nemesor Zahndrekh Phased Reinforcements Question

Necron_Lord
11-12-2011, 10:01 AM
Greetings all!

Looking through the codex, I became curious about the Phased Reinforcements rule. In the codex (p. 61) it states the following:

Phased Reinforcements: If Zahndrekh is on the battlefield, any number of units in reserve that are able to Deep Strike can choose to enter play in the enemy turn, via Deep Strike, immediately after any enemy unit has arrived from reserve, normally during the enemy's Movement phase.

For instance, when the first Daemons unit deploys for Daemonic Assault, the Necron player with Zahndrekh could then have the option of deploying any Flayed Ones, Jump Infantry, Deathmarks, Monoliths, Night and Doom Scythes or units with VoD Crypteks attached by Deep Strike before the second Daemons unit Deep Strikes in. RAW I would think that what was just stated would be legit. Drop Pod Marine armies could also allow that to happen Turn 1.

What is your opinion lounge members? That could be huge against Daemons, Drop Pod armies and DoA armies. The floor is yours.

Wildeybeast
11-12-2011, 10:16 AM
I wouldn't say huge exactly. Yes you get the advantage of deepstriking in the enemies turn leaving you free to do what you want in your turn and you get more control over when your troops arrive, but is has it's tradeoffs. Essentially you are placing a unit of troops down that can't do anything that turn, which counteracts the main advantage of deepstriking and comes with a number of problems. For a start, they are going to be clustered in DS formation as they have no chance to run, making them a prime target for some template shots. And then there is the following: 'Oh dear your necron unit has suffered a mishap and I get to place them where I want on the board. You know, I think I'll put them directly in front of my IG gunline/genestealers/ork Nob mob/insert killly unit as appropriate.' So a rule which could have some very interesting uses, but not exactly a game breaker.

DrWobbles
11-12-2011, 02:12 PM
i think this rule would be useful with wraiths and an attached destroyer lord. There jump infantry status allows them to deepstrike in relative safety whilst still being in assault range. the wraiths are sturdy enough to soak up any fire they may receive the turn they come in and the whip coils can keep any CC attacks off the destroyer lord until he attacks.

otherwise, i don't see much benefit to deepstriking just to get shot up. If i have a pricey unit like a Doom Scythe, i'd rather gamble on reserve rolls to keep it safe and allowing it to shoot when it comes in.

DrWobbles
11-12-2011, 02:18 PM
Btw, i don't think you can use this tactic with Veil of Darkness as the unit must be on the tabletop to use it. VoD does not grant the unit the ability to enter from reserves via deepstrike and must be used during your movement phase.

Necron_Lord
11-12-2011, 03:00 PM
i think this rule would be useful with wraiths and an attached destroyer lord. There jump infantry status allows them to deepstrike in relative safety whilst still being in assault range. the wraiths are sturdy enough to soak up any fire they may receive the turn they come in and the whip coils can keep any CC attacks off the destroyer lord until he attacks.

otherwise, i don't see much benefit to deepstriking just to get shot up. If i have a pricey unit like a Doom Scythe, i'd rather gamble on reserve rolls to keep it safe and allowing it to shoot when it comes in.

True. I was just thinking that against certain builds or armies it could really shine. One could fill the table with your units during their turn. It would probably be decent against certain armies Turn 1 in Dawn of War. Long Fangs, for instance, wouldn't be able to fire missiles so their one turn on shooting wouldn't be optimal. One could also use Solar Pulse to further hamper the enemy's shooting. But against Daemons you could have a pretty good chance to get your Wraiths near the unit you want to tarpit before the Daemon player could bubble wrap.

AbusePuppy
11-12-2011, 07:38 PM
You don't really need help beating Daemons as Necrons; I mean, your army is full of torrent shooting and cheap, high-AV skimmers. The only thing Daemons wants to see less than you is GK, and only because GK also bone them in close combat.

Castle up, block with vehicles, pew pew pew. Same as any other army vs Daemons, really.