PDA

View Full Version : KFF and range

Exitus Acta Probat
09-10-2009, 09:42 PM
So,
this is partially third party, so I don't know that it's a ruling OR research for a later ruling...BUT...

Somewhere I used to game apparently made the ruling that in order to benefit from the KFF cover save, a unit must be 50% within the area of effect. :eek:
I know precedents of Veil of Darkness (necrons), Orb of Res(crons), Synapse(nids), Banners(DA), Orders(IG)...etc ad nauseum, do NOT require more than a single model to be in range.
Is there something that would make someone think there is a precedent for this ruling that I am missing out on?

I know the correct ruling, I am just trying to sort out the logic here, make sure I am not castigating excessively.

Nabterayl
09-10-2009, 10:23 PM
You aren't missing anything. As page 3 of the main rulebook makes clear, Unit A is within X" of Y if one model of Unit A is within X" of Y, even if the rest of Unit A is spread out to hell and beyond. As the KFF refers to a unit being within 6", it covers the unit even if only one model is within 6". Once people stop insisting that orks are a low-tech race and admit that we gotz da know-wots, hopefully this will stop seeming weird to people ;)

I think the confusion stems from page 22, where the 50% rule is found. Reasons that the 50% rule does not apply to the KFF include, but are not limited to:
The ork codex trumps the rulebook, and page 3 of the main rules makes it clear that even if your unit of gretchin covers 99" of table, a single model within 6" of the KFF is enough to make that unit be "within 6"" of the big mek.
Whether a unit is in cover is not the same thing as whether it receives a cover save. As page 21 makes clear, cover (the tabletop feature) confers a cover save (a save).
Nothing in the rulebook says that you can only receive a cover save by being in cover. It only says that if you are in cover, you are entitled to claim a cover save.
#3 logically entails that if you are not entitled to claim a cover save, you are not in cover. It does not logically entail that if you are not in cover, you are not entitled to claim a cover save.
The 50% rule, according to page 22, is only used when some units are in cover and others are not. The KFF does not create cover; if it did, any shot that passed through the 6" bubble around the big mek would confer a 5+ cover save, even if the actual target of the shot was more than 6" away from the big mek.

Exitus Acta Probat
09-10-2009, 10:32 PM
Nab:
thanks for re-assuring my sanity. Not having access to all my books at the time of this writing, I was beating my head against the windshield (causing great consternation amongst those about me on the freeway) trying to come up with a reason WHY that ruling would be made.
Like I said, I know the RULE, but wasn't sure if I was missing a precedent that might have convinced them to travel down the wrong path!
Go Mork! (or is it Gork)...who's supposed to be sneaky and stabby? or is that the point, you DON'T know? ;)
It hurts me wee little brain right now.

Nabterayl
09-10-2009, 10:37 PM
Go Mork! (or is it Gork)...who's supposed to be sneaky and stabby? or is that the point, you DON'T know? ;)
Oh, you know all right. You know the instant before he caves your squishy head in ;)

DarkLink
09-14-2009, 09:49 PM
Their ruling would indeed be incorrect. The KFF is NOT a standard cover save. Normally to get a cover save, you must be 50% behind cover in one form or another.

However, the KFF has its own rules, and Codex>BRB. Because the KFF has its own special rules for granting cover saves, it overrides the normal rules for cover saves, and as such a unit only needs to have 1 model within range to get a cover save.