PDA

View Full Version : Farseer/Warlock Question

gresha
11-18-2011, 05:10 PM
Sorry for the scrub question but if I have a Farseer with 3 Warlocks can they join a squad. For example can I have an 8 man Banshee squad in a Wave Serpent and have the Farseer with Warlocks join the squad as normal. I don't think that's allowed but I just want to double check. Thank you.

Luke Licens
11-18-2011, 05:19 PM
The Farseer is an independent character, and can join any unit you choose. The warlocks are a unit in their own right, and so cannot join any other units at all.

gresha
11-18-2011, 05:20 PM
Ok thank you.

Bitrider
11-18-2011, 06:15 PM
Sorry for the scrub question but if I have a Farseer with 3 Warlocks can they join a squad. For example can I have an 8 man Banshee squad in a Wave Serpent and have the Farseer with Warlocks join the squad as normal. I don't think that's allowed but I just want to double check. Thank you.

I don't believe the Farseer can join the banshee unit in this case since the warlocks are considered a retinue. If you check under the IC rules in the main rule book, there is a "call-out" about an IC w/ attached retinue. I messed this up a few months ago.

Greg

Archon Charybdis
11-18-2011, 07:30 PM
I don't believe the Farseer can join the banshee unit in this case since the warlocks are considered a retinue. If you check under the IC rules in the main rule book, there is a "call-out" about an IC w/ attached retinue. I messed this up a few months ago.

A unit has to explicitly state is a retinue, which the Warlock unit entry does not. It's an easy mistake to make because they're an HQ unit that gets "unlocked" by taking the Farseer. However, nowhere in their rules does it call them a retinue or bodyguard. The same is true for SM Honor Guards and Command Squads, or the DE Court of the Archon--all special HQ units but not true retinues. Actual retinue units are a relic from 3rd and 4th ed, and I think at this point only the Tau and maybe BT have genuine retinues (I suppose Tyrant Guard have a rule approximating a retinue, but they never use the word retinue).

thecactusman17
11-18-2011, 08:40 PM
Warlocks in the current Eldar book function similar to the new Court of the Archon or Inquisitorial Acolytes--they are a seperate squad that is limited to one unit per Farseer on the table.

It's also worth noting that except for some old books with outdated wording, "Retinue" does not exist as a rule in 5th edition. The rules that create retinues are entirely within their own books.

Archon Charybdis
11-18-2011, 10:09 PM
It's also worth noting that except for some old books with outdated wording, "Retinue" does not exist as a rule in 5th edition. The rules that create retinues are entirely within their own books.

Actually the rules for retinues are included in the 5th ed rulebok, but only a couple codices actually reference them.