PDA

View Full Version : Lets try something different for a change.

Little Brother
09-11-2009, 05:07 PM
I need to apologise for going off topic in the "What's in the rhino?" thread.

Tsini's comment reminded me of what I used to love about 40k but experience so rarely now. He said:

Originally Posted by TSINI
this is where the fun begins, delve deeper into this train of thought and you can do so much with this game.if you have a friend or 3 that play regularly, feel free to add to the rules for realism sake.

my gaming group always used to use pistol strengths in combat.

we pretty much used true LOS way before 5th edition. apocalypse games were pretty much our regular playing style even in 3rd edition- no Force Organisation Chart, games over 6,000pts a side, no limit to what you can take (we all used to stick to a single army type but you get the idea) we used to regularly go off on a random tangent with weird and wacky rules.

playing on a planet with no atmosphere, playing on a heavy gravity planet, jungle, city, lava pitted volcano (with a dice roll each turn to see if it errupts), trying to de-activate a nuclear bomb, and one of my personal favourites - A-Bomb football!!

seriously bending the rules for games really isnt an issue between regular friends. also try "secret army lists" you don't get to look at each others army list till after the game. its on a similar note to the transports, how do you know what they might have in reserve? etc

I wish there were more people around with this approach to the game. So many people are obsessed with following what is written in the rule books. I liked what they put in the back of 5th ed about playing different games, with rules for different gravity and fighting in a vacuum, but unfortunately hardly anyone gives them more than a cursory glance. I think that the 2 major reasons for just playing standard missions time after time, are laziness and shyness, especially when playing a stranger at the lgs. I am guilty of both of these most of the time.

Thats why I like playing against the kids at my local store. Most of them don't have a complete army yet, so the force organisation chart and missions goes right out the window to start with. They don't seem all that focussed on winning, they just want to play a game, let their imagination run riot and have fun. So spicing things up with earthquakes, wandering monsters, carnivorous plants, dooms day devices and explosive atmospheres is just what they want.

I think I need to dig out my Rogue Trader and look at the suggested scenarios in there. Anyone remember Abdul Goldberg? Most of those scenarios would be ideal as very small skirmish games. There were jail breaks, hijackings, espionage missions, monster hunts( The monster had eaten the squad member carrying the teleport beacon, which must be recovered so you can escape before the planet is virus bombed.), colony war style campaign ideas,

What I would love to see is people, now and again playing a scenario of their own devising. I am going to post one here and hopefully others will as well, and we can inspire one another.

My local store has about 8 valkyries hanging from the ceiling looking pretty, and a large nid army on display. I am going to ask the manager if I can borrow them for a game in store.

Escape. The planet is being over run by a Tyranid horde. all other forces on the planet are attempting to escape.

Number of players 5+.

Set up. 8x6 table with 6 valkyries set up in the center. Nid player has all his models in reserve and they arrive randomly from table edges. All other players are assigned small deployment zones for their 300pt forces on the board edges. Turn order is run in the same manner as a carnage scenario.

Objectives. Nid player. Prevent the other players from leaving the board and cause as much mayhem and destruction as possible.

Players. Escape in a valkyrie by flying off a table edge.

Victory conditions. Player who escapes with the most pts worth of models wins. Nid player has no victory conditions, he is just there to provide entertainment.

additional rules.
Russian roulette. A lictor and genestealer brood have reached the airfield first and hidden inside two of the valkyries. Nid player secretly notes which aircraft are occupied and reveals them when a player attempts to board an aircraft.

Don't leave me behind! If a player cannot fit all of his surviving models into a valkyrie then excess models must be left behind. These models immediately take a morale check and if they fail they will take out their frustration at being abondoned and have one round of shooting at their comrades aircraft. In subsequent turns these models may be moved as normal and can still attempt to escape in a different aircraft.

Try it out. Post your own ideas on here as well. Big games, small games, I don't care. I will try them all. Lets see if we can get more of the fun imaginative element back into our games.

Exitus Acta Probat
09-11-2009, 05:21 PM
I love it...
I'm going to 'borrow' it, maybe tweak it a bit.

I came up with some bike racing rules, I will try to find them to post here as well (less a scenario, more a beer and pretzels kinda think),

Fun scenario, especially for the Nids...he wins right off the bat, he gets to eat AND cannot lose!

entendre_entendre
09-11-2009, 08:19 PM
freakin' sweet. i wish there were more people like you around here, my games would be far more entertaining!
i sometimes do this for Space Hulk games (make up your own board, almost as much fun as playing! almost :p )

ChrisW
09-11-2009, 10:41 PM
played a similar one at 3000 pts a side.

bug player had everything coming back on the table as walk on reserved after it was destroyed i had to hold center of table and survive till end of turn 5. it was the last game i played with my Dark Angels it was very close i only had 14 tac marines and a captain left....center was contested. i killed 4500 pts of bugs :D, damn carnifexs (carnifexi ?) ate my terminators though ......

Little Brother
09-14-2009, 01:24 AM
A nearby promethium refinery has developed a gas leak. All shooting counts as gets hot. Weapons that already have the get hot rule, flamers and meltas get hot on a 1 or 2.

Grabnutz
09-14-2009, 03:01 AM
The Gauntlet.

Zulu-niner-niner, this is Force Imperator Rex,we are coming in hot, copy?
This is Zulu-niner-niner, we copy your transmission, auspex reading indicate enemy is closing fast from both flanks, suggest you move maximum alacrity, and may the Emperor guard your souls, copy?
Copy that Zulu-niner-niner. Fire mission alpha-omega, corridor formation, fire for maximum effect, and thanks Joe, we'll see you in the mess in ten or hell, whichever comes first..... transmission disrupted.

++Mission++
A retreating force must get as many of its units into a fort before retreat is cut off by a pursuing enemy.

++Deployment++
One player sets up a fort in the centre of a short table edge. He can put up to 1,000pts of garrison troops, a single HQ and as much Heavy Support as he can squeeze out of the points in that fort. This force cann sally forth, but no more than 12" from the fort's walls.

His other force, of up to 2,000 points comes on at the other end of the table in reserve, but begins rolling for reserves on turn one.

The pursuer has 3,000 points, but no heavy support at all. All his forces begin in reserve and they can come on on either or both sides of the long table edges, but not within 12" of the fort.

No infiltration, no deep strike. This is a game of speed, pursuit and panic. Neither side has had time to organize or deploy infiltrators or deep strikers.

++Terrain++
A road runs straight between the two short table edges and into the gate of the fort. Other than that arrange terrain as per normal.

If you want to add an extra level of difficulty make the road cross a river halfway along the battlefield. If the pursuer gets to the bridge first and can hold it for two turns then he can set charges and blow it, further slowing the retreating force.

++Game Length++
There is no game length. Play ends when the last retreating unit is safely in the fort or destroyed.

++Victory++
The retreating player gets points for each scoring unit that reaches the fort, and the enemy gets points for each on that doesn't.

This game plays really well when the pursuer is Orks or Dark Eldar, and the retreater is Imperials.

Xas
09-14-2009, 04:14 AM
I like the fort idea but I think it won't work for imperium as defenders. reason is that the forth's heavy support of 1k points can easily shoot the attacker to peces before long if he doesnt shut the guns down.

on the other hand the fort will have no chance agaisnt 3k points of attackers if they focus the big but lightly defended guns first.

I'd suggest the followuing:

1k for forth, 2k for defenders/refugees, 4k for attackers.

attacker may not deploy nearer than 30", 24", 18", 12" to the forth in turn 1, 2, 3, 4+.

another idea would be to use your points and setup but use another spezial rule:
capital void shield: the forth is protected by udnerground void generators too powerfull for the attackers weapon to even think about overwhelming. this type of voidshield is so powerfull that it also stops modells from moving trough it and neither the attacker nor the defender can shoot trough it. the void has its eprimeter 1" outside the curtain wall of the forth.

the void starts the game active and can be deactivated at any point in time the defender wishes. due to the nature of the energy banks it can only be reactivated once during the game. An imperial commander would not risk his strategically important forth to rescue soldiers who were to late so once the void has been reactiated it will stay active for the rest of the game.

the game will end whenever there is either no attackers alive inside the voids perimeter and no defenders outside or all the attackers/defenders ahve been killed.

then compare surviving refugees VS killed refugees + killed forth devense.

whatsha think? ^^

TSINI
09-14-2009, 04:35 AM
ooooh

i like this thread :D

i'm going to delve into my old army cases and find our favourite missions - i'm sure i have A-bomb football in there somewhere.

yes lets make this thread the Fun games thread, with missions and "in-store" group games ideas.

i'll be back later

Cheers, Little Brother