PDA

View Full Version : Risk

Prometheus
09-12-2009, 09:11 PM
Is it just me or do most 40k/Fantasy gamers also like RISK?

I hate to admit it but the LOTRs version of RISK is my favorite. The additions of missions, objectives, army generals and defesive postions just make it so much more fun.

I totally want them to make a 40k edition of RISK, which would probably be a very basic game of 40k anyway. I actual have been thinking of doing a 40k campaign that was based on a RISk style board. Just a thought.

Bigred
09-13-2009, 08:27 AM
Well I always fuonr RISK to be the introductory grand strategy boardgame. Its readily available, simple to learn, and is the first step towards Axis and Allies, and all the other more advanced games.

You also end up with tons of cool little playing pieces to use when designing other campaigns of your own.

Abominable Plague Marine
09-13-2009, 08:56 AM
This game was banned in our share house as it started several world wars! I loved it though and never took it personally as others did.

Hmmmm, might have to look at the LotR version.

Schnitzel
09-13-2009, 09:07 AM
I loved Risk. LOVE! One of the funnest games I've ever played, although its hard to get the same group of players to sit down and play it a second or third time because it often gets pretty cutthroat. Used to have a Risk night at the barracks when I was stationed in Okinawa. Me n a couple Communications guys would all sit around and play, make alliances between each other, break them, goad each other into killing other opponents, etc etc. It was always so fun. I ended up getting banned because of my ruthless diplimatic approach winning me the game every time I played. Haha. I always played on the rivalry three players held against each other. :p

The LotR Risk edition is also pretty fun. I regret only owning the Two Towers edition... would much rather have the entire map of Middle Earth to play on.
Heck, I'd like to have a Simirilian edition. That'd be fun. :D

Firaya
09-15-2009, 05:34 PM
Hehe even without the diplomacy part of the game, Risk really showcases the character of the players. Is he a risk taker or a patient camper. And why is he leaving that connecting country open??

Ah the joys of world domination :D

Bigred
09-15-2009, 10:50 PM
I can't think about RISK without laughing at the Seinfeld with Kramer playing on the subway...

"The Ukraine is weak....NO, THE UKRAINE IS STRONG!!!"

Drew da Destroya
09-17-2009, 03:36 PM
Have you ever tried out Risk 2210? It added some new areas (underwater colonies and the Moon) to fight over, plus some new concepts (Hero units and action cards), it's a pretty good game overall. Gives you a couple more strategies to try out, and it's a lot of fun. Definitely worth checking out.

Lord Azaghul
09-17-2009, 03:50 PM
I used to play risk all the time in HS and college - then I found warhammer. I recently has some friends over and we played a game - they aren't warhammer lads (yet) but fun was had, However I have become more comfortable with lengthy rule books so I found the game a little too simplistic, or perhaps the tactics a little too inflexable!

Dunadan
09-21-2009, 05:13 PM
I heard that the new vanilla flavour Risk has eliminated the Australia strategy, can anyone confirm this? The last game I played I used said strategy and ended up with everything but the Americas before we had to call it quits 'cause my younger brother had to go to bed.(BTW, if anyone's interested in where to branch out from Australia, I went Africa, Europe, Asia, then I would have gone S. America before N. America).

The Star Wars version(s) are a blast too!

L192837465
10-02-2009, 08:41 AM
If you guys like Risk, play Twilight Imperium. That is the most brutal and cut-throat game of all time. you start screwing you opponents over while designing the map!

Brian1988
10-11-2009, 05:02 PM
Risk is one of those games for me that all the players get too exasperated or too aggravated to finish. And not to mention, I have horrendous luck with the dice at risk. "surely my 20 men can overtake this country with 3 defenders.
snake eyes.
snake eyes.
snake eyes.
Rage.

Also I wish the pieces did more then signify numbers of infantry. Sweet cannon, oh wait, it doesn't do anything.
But apart with my aggravation at sometimes crippling bad luck its a great game.

Wolfen
01-08-2010, 05:15 AM
I like risk and most of its variants... however its a game that many people dont find appealing (at least in my experience) specially since in many cases when you got pounded you are out and you miss the fun, nevertheless i love it...

Risk LoTR? didnt enjoyed as much as the normal one... it was somehow... i dunno lacking in fun....

Cheers!
Wolfen

L192837465
01-11-2010, 10:08 AM
I like risk and most of its variants... however its a game that many people dont find appealing (at least in my experience) specially since in many cases when you got pounded you are out and you miss the fun, nevertheless i love it...

Risk LoTR? didnt enjoyed as much as the normal one... it was somehow... i dunno lacking in fun....

Cheers!
Wolfen

It's fun to use it for an alternative map. Ignore the special rules, and just play normally. Makes it really interesting, and very difficult!

Jiggs
01-16-2010, 11:12 PM
Have you ever tried out Risk 2210? It added some new areas (underwater colonies and the Moon) to fight over, plus some new concepts (Hero units and action cards), it's a pretty good game overall. Gives you a couple more strategies to try out, and it's a lot of fun. Definitely worth checking out.

I happen to own that one but never really sat down to learn all the new rules, always seemed to complicated for a board game but thats probably because I tried teaching myself it when I was 13.
I think I should try it again oh yeah and its the only risk game I've seen with the moon included. Not just world domination but moon domination as well.

MC Tic Tac
01-17-2010, 06:19 AM
I heard that the new vanilla flavour Risk has eliminated the Australia strategy, can anyone confirm this? The last game I played I used said strategy and ended up with everything but the Americas before we had to call it quits 'cause my younger brother had to go to bed.(BTW, if anyone's interested in where to branch out from Australia, I went Africa, Europe, Asia, then I would have gone S. America before N. America).

The Star Wars version(s) are a blast too!

Australia Camping, my uncle was doing that in the 60's lol and I did it in the 90's!

I haven't played Risk in years, man had some great games with my mates.

The number of times someone left the 'Alaska' back door open to the Commies......

Bean
01-24-2010, 09:49 PM
Risk is kinda fun. I like both the redone 'black' version and 2210. It's always a little silly, though. The dice have a huge impact and strategy has a pretty minor impact. The last game I played, I got a string of bad rolls attacking some-place in Europe. It was about ten guys to one, and I lost six or seven of them before I took the country. Lost me the game. That one, first turn string of bad luck put me irretrievably behind, and there was no way, short of a similar string of bad luck on someone else's part (which never happened) that I could possibly come back and win.

And that's basically silly.

Twilight Imperium is a good game.
Risk is only really worthwhile if you like something that'll let you roll a bunch of dice without actually making you think.

Adriano
01-22-2011, 07:24 AM
For any of you lovers of the classic RISK game, this online game approaches it's feel the most:

http://www.conquerorgame.com/

It's played on a Map of Europe 1000 AD, and adds culture and fortifications (both 3 levels) as well as population (unlimited) to the original concept.

If you will enjoy it, don't forget to thank "Attila" ;)

Useless
01-28-2011, 11:54 AM
Risk is one of those games my friends won't play with me anymore. Something about me being too cutthroat. The players controlling Asia and Europe made a temporary détente. I had Africa and was on a more losing side of that treaty than Europe was, so I made it my mission to stop at least one of them from claiming their continent bonus each turn.
I'll definitely be checking out Twilight Imperium sometime. Looks pretty interesting.

Lord Tothe
03-05-2012, 11:54 PM
Awesome game. While a lot more simplistic than Axis and Allies, its faster pace can be more fun, and it'a a lot easier to get others to play.

Joshuawesome
03-13-2012, 10:28 AM
you guys heard of risk legacy?

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/01/22/cardboard-children-risk-legacy/

writing on the board? tearing up cards?
INSANITY!

Dr. Cheesesteak
03-22-2012, 12:06 PM
I was first introduced to Risk just roughly a few months ago and loved it. However, I have some of the same quarrels that other ppl have...

This game was banned in our share house as it started several world wars! I loved it though and never took it personally as others did.

this. One player in my group says "Risk brings out the worst in people". Not necessarily true, but like another poster said - it does reveal things about a person. We have 4 core players. Me and another are super competitive. 1 is passive and thoughtful. and 1 is just...not smart lol. Sounds about right in other aspects of life for us!

Risk is one of those games for me that all the players get too exasperated or too aggravated to finish.
this too! I don't think we've actually ever finished a game lol. We always call it early as we run out of time (some games have taken over 4 hrs...and weren't finished) or we just admit defeat after some discouragement.

you guys heard of risk legacy?

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/01/22/cardboard-children-risk-legacy/

writing on the board? tearing up cards?
INSANITY!
Yeah, my other friend plays Risk Legacy and I sooooo want to play it... will have to try some time.