PDA

View Full Version : 2011: A Year in Review

McNs
12-22-2011, 03:31 PM
Howdy:

A bit of shameless self-promotion here, but here's my (humble) take on 2011: the year in wargaming:

http://dontquityourrdayjob.blogspot.com/2011/12/top-5-2011-retrospective.html#more

Would love to hear your take on the matter!

Cheers!

- McNs

wittdooley
12-22-2011, 11:54 PM
I'd like to point out the inherent contradiction in you statement that it was "the year of privateer" in regards to the fact that 2 GWproducts are in your top 5 while zero PP products are. I also simply disagree, particularly due to PPs inability to keep anything in stock, agonizingly slow release schedule, and overall lackluster miniatures for the past 4 months.

McNs
12-23-2011, 09:34 AM
I'd like to point out the inherent contradiction in you statement that it was "the year of privateer" in regards to the fact that 2 GWproducts are in your top 5 while zero PP products are. I also simply disagree, particularly due to PPs inability to keep anything in stock, agonizingly slow release schedule, and overall lackluster miniatures for the past 4 months.

I'd argue that GW had some great highlights this year (namely: Tamurkhan and a few of their plastic kits), but a lot of low-lights... namely:

- Finecast release

- The "No discount shipping the Western Hemisphere" fiasco

- Having almost no advance notice for products. If you don't look for it or live near a GW store, you have almost no idea what random new releases come out in a given month

- More balance issues. 8th ed killed Fantasy locally because of the magic phase. We have plenty of local players up-in-arms over Grey Knights. While this isn't universally reviled stuff on par with 7th ed's Daemons/Dark Elves era, its a notable (and I'm guessing non-isolated) community perception issue.

By contrast, Privateer put out models at a slower pace (to address production issues) and didn't have anything that knocked my socks off modelwise. That said, the Throne of Everblight, Nicia, and the Khador Battle Mechanic are all very, very nice (but release in 2012). Heck, Privateer did put out some very nice models (plastic MOW, Madrak1 resculpt, Alexia2), just nothing that was quite on par with what every vendors, including GW, put out.

Frankly, if the above is the worst thing I can say about a company and they continue to do good (both Wrath and Domination were even, balance books, Steam Roller 2011 was a lot of fun), I'd argue they're doing OK.

I'm confused how Privateer has an "agonizingly" slow release schedule. They release at a faster rate than Wyrd and a much more even keel than GW (across multiple ranges, no waiting 5+ years for new Army X to have models, rules, etc).

Aldramelech
01-21-2012, 03:14 AM
Mmmmm a review of Wargaming in 2011 that makes no mention of anything from the historical realm, not even Battlefront let alone gripping Beast's runaway success with "SAGA".

DarkLink
01-21-2012, 03:35 AM
- More balance issues. 8th ed killed Fantasy locally because of the magic phase. We have plenty of local players up-in-arms over Grey Knights. While this isn't universally reviled stuff on par with 7th ed's Daemons/Dark Elves era, its a notable (and I'm guessing non-isolated) community perception issue.

I feel obligated to point out that GKs aren't exactly sweeping the tournament scene. They're solid performers, but there are just as many wins from IG, SW, BA, Orks and other good codices. At least for competitive play GKs are well balanced. I'm also pretty sure that GKs sold extremely well, which counts as a win for GW even if some players don't like them.