PDA

View Full Version : A question about Bretonnian Army Standard Bearers...

CaptainLoken
09-13-2009, 11:51 AM
I have been out of Warhammer for almost 10 years, and have been trying to get back into the game. I have a TON of Bretonnians, but I had a question about the Stansard Bearer.

It states in the rules that you can not purchase any additional equipment if you give the Standard Bearer a magic banner. However, I am not sure if that means that you can not take Vows as well. The rules say that you can take Virtues, but nothing about Vows.

What do all of you master generals think?

Aldramelech
09-13-2009, 12:44 PM
Vows are not equipment, you're paying for an ability, not a 'thing'.

Thats how I see it.

the9ravan
09-17-2009, 08:50 PM
The knights vow comes standard with the paladin so you don't have to buy it.

And the rule for the battle standard says if he carries a magic banner he can't take any other magic equipment so even if you were to give him a great weapon (thereby giving him the questing vow) it isn't magic equipment, so yeah.

BilboBaggins
09-17-2009, 09:15 PM
I would like to see him swing a Great Weapon and hold the Battle Standard at the same time.

Aldramelech
09-18-2009, 09:36 AM
I would like to see him swing a Great Weapon and hold the Battle Standard at the same time.

Now thats what I call entertainment! lol:D

BilboBaggins
09-18-2009, 09:55 AM
The knights vow comes standard with the paladin so you don't have to buy it.

And the rule for the battle standard says if he carries a magic banner he can't take any other magic equipment so even if you were to give him a great weapon (thereby giving him the questing vow) it isn't magic equipment, so yeah.

Well since the rules state that the Bretonnian BSB if he takes a Magical Standard cannot take any additional equipment and there is no Great Weapon option anyway (and the Great Weapon on a horse means strike last and only +1 Strength.)

Commander Vimes
09-24-2009, 05:59 PM
You can definitely take vows. I find the Grail Vow, being immune to psychology, to be well worth it on all Paladins and Lords.

ForsakenImp
11-28-2009, 04:18 AM
You can take vows and either a Banner or magical items, excluding a magical shield. Seeing as how you cannot use a magical shield if you cannot use a regular one, it is the one type of magical armor prohibited to him. Personally, I just send him in with a +1 strength sword, so he's also s5 when the unit charges, just to make dice rolls easier and keep him cheap- he's a fairly high priority target if you try and make him much better. The Grommil Helm is also a great option, giving him a 2+ re-rollable save.