PDA

View Full Version : Thousand Suns / Prospero Burns

Kanaellars
09-13-2009, 01:44 PM
Anyone else notice the change in the dates?

hey were originally listed on BLs site as November and January....

Now they are March and April.

Why the swap?

Okidus
09-13-2009, 01:56 PM
nooooooooooooo!

TS is the next HH book after Angels right?
Man, I finished that so fast, I have been sitting wiating for a new book. That is terrible news.

ThePov
09-13-2009, 02:10 PM
Meh, it happens. As a writer myself, who comes from a family of writers, I know that getting one writer to meet a deadline is hard enough. Getting two writers to meet roughly the same deadline, for two seperate books that have to interact and/or agree with each other at every turn... thats downright impossible. I always thought that the idea, while very good and how the books should be done, would be hard to pull off.

To put it simply, I'll use a quote by Douglas Adams: "I love Deadlines. I love the *whooooshhhhhh*ing noise they make as they go by."

mountaincycle661
09-13-2009, 06:21 PM
ARGH DAMMIT! Ive been waiting FOREVER for them to finally get around to the thousand sons side of the heresy, and now its getting pushed back?!

I dont understand why they chose grahm Mcneil to write the thousand sons story and Dan Abnett (master of the universe) to write the space wolves story. That seems backwards to me. McNeil is a good writer, and he has his moments. Hes kind of "slam, bang, IM A SPACE MARINE! HUUZAH!" writer though. I doubt he has the foresight and intricate plot weaving skills necessary to fill a thousand sons book. I always thought Abnett would be better suited to that role. His character designs are complex, interwoven, fleshed out...and his story lines always have such a great climax.

Meanwhile mcneil could be writing the "im a space wolf, watch me howl and uh...uhm...beat things up" book.

Of course, ill still read both books. But i just wish the authors were reversed :(

ThePov
09-13-2009, 06:52 PM
ARGH DAMMIT! Ive been waiting FOREVER for them to finally get around to the thousand sons side of the heresy, and now its getting pushed back?!

I dont understand why they chose grahm Mcneil to write the thousand sons story and Dan Abnett (master of the universe) to write the space wolves story. That seems backwards to me. McNeil is a good writer, and he has his moments. Hes kind of "slam, bang, IM A SPACE MARINE! HUUZAH!" writer though. I doubt he has the foresight and intricate plot weaving skills necessary to fill a thousand sons book. I always thought Abnett would be better suited to that role. His character designs are complex, interwoven, fleshed out...and his story lines always have such a great climax.

Meanwhile mcneil could be writing the "im a space wolf, watch me howl and uh...uhm...beat things up" book.

Of course, ill still read both books. But i just wish the authors were reversed :(
Well, part of it may have been an intentional attempt to change the way people see each of those legions. The Space Wolves actually have a lot of room to have very fleshed out characters, but they're often seen as one-dimensional, where as the Thousand Sons may be all coniving, but they're still Space Marines, and Space Marines are still, at the core, genetically engineered killing machines. Also, I think McNiel has more than enough skill to pull it off.

Kanaellars
09-14-2009, 12:28 PM

Actually, if you read Abnetts blog... the two writers are quite good friends.... and they drew straws.... they both wanted to write the Wolves side of things.

Abnett won the draw.

As for the books getting pushed back, it seems Games Workshop HQ UK is to blame.

They have decided to use the books as a device in the UK Games Day. The "Big event" this year is going to be Prospero... and the event winners and outcome of the battle will in some way "influence" some aspect of the books. IE a named character, or something like that.

The books are being pushed back so that the results can be worked in.

Got this info today from a GW Area Manager in the North. (wont say which, dont want to get him in trouble.)

Durfast Spiritwolf
09-15-2009, 06:17 AM
Well the first crack at Prospero at the TF weekend went very well - if you a Space Wolf that is - with the planet imploding. The TS failed to open the warpgate after losing 70% of their sorcerers so they battered survivors had to evacuate by more traditional means and were last seen heading towards Nicea...

genotype
09-21-2009, 02:59 PM
Dan Abnett has not been well, according to his blog (http://theprimaryclone.blogspot.com/2009/09/mind-is-terrible-thing-to-waste.html)

Duke
09-21-2009, 04:10 PM
Bummer news, though it generally means things will be better when finally released.

Duke

Saelan
09-21-2009, 04:11 PM
Dan Abnett has not been well, according to his blog (http://theprimaryclone.blogspot.com/2009/09/mind-is-terrible-thing-to-waste.html)

Tzeentch is pissed at always getting the short end of the stick. Perhaps the book should be called Fenris burns?

In all seriousness, hope Dan feels better soon as I am looking forward to reading his book :)

Duke
09-21-2009, 04:19 PM
I can't help but to jealously feel like Blood Angels have gotten the short end of the proverbial stick. As of now we have only gottten a camio on the Luna Wolves book... And we got rocked! lol. I can't wait till we get a whole book on the good 'ol BA.

ChaosLord127
09-21-2009, 04:27 PM
Actually, if you read Abnetts blog... the two writers are quite good friends.... and they drew straws.... they both wanted to write the Wolves side of things.

Abnett won the draw.

They fought for the wolves.... wow. I feel betrayed almost...

I hate Space wolves

wittdooley
09-21-2009, 05:15 PM
I can't help but to jealously feel like Blood Angels have gotten the short end of the proverbial stick. As of now we have only gottten a camio on the Luna Wolves book... And we got rocked! lol. I can't wait till we get a whole book on the good 'ol BA.

Don't worry, you know it has to be coming. I mean, without Sanguinius, the Emperor may bite it. I think the Blood Angels have quite a role still to play.

imperialsavant
09-22-2009, 06:41 PM
Anyone else notice the change in the dates?

hey were originally listed on BLs site as November and January....

Now they are March and April.

Why the swap?

:) Delays in release dates have been happening quite a bit this year.
Sandy Mitchell's next book in his Inquisition series was put back 6 months.
I think it is more difficult for a writer to quickly write a novel he has been asked to write on a particular subject compaired to one that he writes from his own ideas & plots.

mountaincycle661
09-23-2009, 03:48 PM
They fought for the wolves.... wow. I feel betrayed almost...

I hate Space wolves

Good, im glad im not the only one who feels this way. Why would the two authors....especially abnett!....fight for the wolves book?! the wolves are so freakin bland and 2-dimensional! "RARGH! we're angry vikings! fight stuff! Rargh!"

Now, i get the feeling neither one really WANTS to write the thousand sons book. Like thier heart wont be truly in the project. And the book suffers because of this. I can just imagine McNeil after they drew straws...

"*sigh*....dammit. Alright, lets just get this stupid sorcerors book over with so i can go back to writing MORE ultramarines books..."

Come on, abnett....you can do so much better....

I, too, feel betrayed by abnetts interests.

Kanaellars
09-24-2009, 11:08 AM
Why does everyone see the wolves as completely 2-dimensional?

They are a culture of warrior kings. They have a deep history of war and conflict, not to mention that the sector of space controlled by the Wolves is second only to Ultramar in size, AND it has almost no problems at all because the people LOVE the Wolves.

Sure, they love to drink and fight... why does that mean it is all they like?

Im really looking forward to the new codex and this new book so that maybe, just maybe, it will get through some peoples thick skulls that the wolves are a LOT more that just drunken berzerkers...

... while still (sometimes) being drunken berzerkers as well!