PDA

View Full Version : Codex: Kroot Mercenaries

Turbo_MMX
09-13-2009, 09:54 PM
Hi Everybody,

A couple of people over at the Kompletly Kroot forums have asked that I bring our dex to the attention to the wonderfull peoples at the BOLS. Many of you may be aware of this already but for those that are not i give you

Kodex: Kroot Mercenaries V5.86

Within this 38 page (39 if you include the sweet cover page) Warhammer 40k mini-dex you will find:

-Background
-Modeling section
-Army List (including 1 Special Character)
-Lots of cool fluff and Kroot stories.

It has been a long road, lots of debate, lots of back and forward but I feel we have finally reached a point where we have nailed it. As you may already know this list is for fielding a 100% Kroot force within the Warhammer 40k 5th edition rules set. Some of the rules have been borrowed from other sources, some have been made by us, but all rules are 100% Krooty and 100% Awesome!! SO!! Click away, download and Enjoy.

DOWNLOAD HERE (http://trobarts.customer.netspace.net.au/5th_ed_kroot_mercenaries_army_list_by_kompletely_k root_V5.85.pdf) 4 mb

http://trobarts.customer.netspace.net.au/Web/K1.jpghttp://trobarts.customer.netspace.net.au/Web/k3.jpghttp://trobarts.customer.netspace.net.au/Web/k4.jpghttp://trobarts.customer.netspace.net.au/Web/k5.jpg

Please leave any feedback, comments, (mistakes we might have missed)

Thanks for reading.
The KK Team

*Edit* Link changed for updated version 5.86

Inquisitor Soren
09-14-2009, 08:18 PM
*Whistles* :eek:

Now thats pretty well done, I didn't get through all the fluff, but wow, stunning.

Some of the units seem eh, and not necessarily useful, imo at least, also I kinda frightened by the lack of Anti-Armor.

9/10

Some units feel a little redundant and not that useful, but overall its well balanced, though I do have some slight worry about mech, and lack of transport options. GJ to all those who worked on this! :cool:

Faultie
09-15-2009, 07:16 AM
*Whistles* :eek:

Now thats pretty well done, I didn't get through all the fluff, but wow, stunning.

Some of the units seem eh, and not necessarily useful, imo at least, also I kinda frightened by the lack of Anti-Armor.

9/10

Some units feel a little redundant and not that useful, but overall its well balanced, though I do have some slight worry about mech, and lack of transport options. GJ to all those who worked on this! :cool:

I think it looks really good, and pulls in all the available units from the two GW lists, as well as FW models. The modeling section looks loads of fun, and the fluff is a good repository of all things Kroot.

I think the main hope against armor in a list like this is Infiltrate 18-d6" away from vehicles, or outflank, and use fleet (or flight-capable troops) to assault with Eviscerators (8+2d6 armor pen) or meltaguns (more range, but only 1 BS3 shot). In 5e, with hitting on rear armor, Shapers are only glancing most vehicles by rolling snake-eyes.

Otherwise, yes this is an all-foot list, and will always have humongous problems with fully-mechanized forces. The Kroot are made to sit in woods and fight guerrilla style, with outflanking, flight, and fleeting through terrain. I've always thought 6th sense was definitely worth the points, and although they toned it down from its original form, it's still worth the 2 points in the post-IG world.

Good job, guys!

Inquisitor Soren
09-15-2009, 10:44 AM
I think it looks really good, and pulls in all the available units from the two GW lists, as well as FW models. The modeling section looks loads of fun, and the fluff is a good repository of all things Kroot.

I think the main hope against armor in a list like this is Infiltrate 18-d6" away from vehicles, or outflank, and use fleet (or flight-capable troops) to assault with Eviscerators (8+2d6 armor pen) or meltaguns (more range, but only 1 BS3 shot). In 5e, with hitting on rear armor, Shapers are only glancing most vehicles by rolling snake-eyes.

Otherwise, yes this is an all-foot list, and will always have humongous problems with fully-mechanized forces. The Kroot are made to sit in woods and fight guerrilla style, with outflanking, flight, and fleeting through terrain. I've always thought 6th sense was definitely worth the points, and although they toned it down from its original form, it's still worth the 2 points in the post-IG world.

Good job, guys!

It does look good but the biggest glaring weakness is its Anti-Armor, particularly against Skimmers ya know? Tau and Eldar would be a horrific army to fight relying only on CC to deal with them is kinda a gimp. Meltas do give them some power and with the infil and outflank they have a better chance of using them true, but still as you said BS:3 is kinda eh. I've seen the old Kroot Chapter Approved list and this is definitely an improvement imo, and its still true to its origins but it still suffers its nice and fluffy and probably loads of fun in certain games and on certain boards, city covered terrain and swamp covered terrain most likely where vehicles take a hit already do to narrow streets and difficult terrain. I bet its a great army to play but it does have a glaring weakness but who knows if I play tested it maybe I'd change my opinion on that one. ^^

Good job on it again guys that is one nice piece of work!

ThePov
09-15-2009, 03:07 PM
Agreed, very nice job, very deep and well done, considering you basically HAD to fit in certain rules and models.

I agree that the lack of anti-armor lowers its viability though. You really have only two good anti-armor options, putting a eviscerator in every squad, which relys very heavily on getting close to very mean and/or very fast tanks, or wasting a Master Shaper and Shaper council by giving them all melta-guns, which does give you a pretty good infiltrating melta-squad, but you can only take one and kind of kills the spirit of the unit. Still, the Kroot gun on the Krootox should be okay against transports, for the most part.

Still, fun army list. Unfortunately, it adds another army onto my already too-long list of projects, because now I want to do a 1000 point Kroot Force, just for show, but oh well.

Turbo_MMX
09-15-2009, 10:46 PM
Thanks for the comments guys. The anti armour thing is really one issue that many of the Vet Kroot players (not many of us!) have been able to work around fairly well. Ive been able to use this army in a few tournaments this year! First tournament this year I faced a Armoured company fighting it to a Tie by destroying everything apart than 1 Chimera (that was a scoring unit :( ) Ya just have to get out of the traditional style of tank hunting :). But I will say that even against skimmers ive not had much trouble dealing with em. Kroot ox still work fairly well when it comes to skimmers.

My favorite tank hunting unit is the Tracker kindred, Infiltrating scout cav armed with an evicerator! The only thing that Ive had constant issues with are Dreadnaughts. They scare kroot something horid :)

*tde*
09-24-2009, 03:08 PM
Great codex!

I've always wanted to put together a Kroot army, maybe this will get me in motion...

Lord Anubis
09-28-2009, 07:24 PM
Just got to look at this and I love it. I've already shown it to my gaming group, because I'm dying to get my Kroot Mercenaries back on the tabletop.

Great work. Many thanks for all your efforts.

:)

Brother Hespithe
09-28-2009, 08:26 PM
I was just thinking about making just such a force. You have my full attention and my appreciation. Cheers!

Turbo_MMX
10-20-2009, 08:21 PM
Hi again all.

Im calling on all ye loyal Kroot fans as well as the Fly lords themselves (if they are reading).

We have found a HUGE screw up in the book, we thought we had em all sorted but this one constantly has sliped past us. The Stalker ambush rule was ment to allow them to deep strike and assault in the same turn (like a lictor but for a squad of 10) BUT, after all these revisions that line was not in the book and thus remained un fixed :S

Id like everyone who has read this to go over it again, if they can find some problems, things they would have done better, or things they think are just plane wrong. Let us know. We are working on a V5.85 but we want this to be the LAST one.

Thanks for any help
The KK Crew

Faultie
10-21-2009, 05:43 AM
Well, I do suggest you address the issue of Krootox Rider's toughness. If the Krootox is listed as T3 (representing the rider, not the Krootox), then I believe it should be allowed to take the Ork Hybrid adaptation. Why would all the Kroot in a kindred get bigger from eating Orks, except the ones riding about on a Krootox.

It makes sense for Trackers, Prey Shapers, etc. not to get it, as they're already T4 (representing their mounts). But the T3 is the Kroot, and that should be adjusted.

Bluesfart
10-23-2009, 06:51 PM
personally I can't stand kroot, but what incredible production value. Truly amazing job.

Akkon Sek
11-08-2009, 06:29 PM
Never wandered into this section of the Lounge, so hadn't seen this thread prior to tonight.

You should know, Turbo_MMX, that you and your compatriots at KK are completely to blame for these guys...

http://img691.imageshack.us/img691/9940/dscn5664.th.jpg (http://img691.imageshack.us/i/dscn5664.jpg/)

I play four armies exclusively: CSM, Ork, Tyranid, and because of you and your stupid well-done codex... 500 points of Kroot Mercs.

Stumbled on it some time ago and have been hooked ever since.

Please keep up the excellent work.

-A

Turbo_MMX
11-08-2009, 08:08 PM
YAY, more DNA for the kindred :D

Akkon Sek
11-08-2009, 08:51 PM
YAY, more DNA for the kindred :D

If you come across a deal on some Knarloc Riders, give me a shout? If anyone would be in-the-know... I would think it would be you krazy kroot guys.

As much as I'd love a few, they're just a tad too salty direct from Forge World at the moment.

-A

Turbo_MMX
02-14-2010, 08:12 AM
Howdy guys. Just a heads up that we have just done a update for the Kroot dex.

Here it is :D (http://trobarts.customer.netspace.net.au/5th_ed_kroot_mercenaries_army_list_by_kompletely_k root_V5.85.pdf)

Enjoy :D

**Updated 15th of Feb 2010**

Page 14:

Shaman Psychic Powers added.

Page 17 (old page 16):

Shaman Initiative changed from 4 to 3.

Shaman Price upped to 80 points
Can pick any 2 powers from the powers list.
Shamans staff now free.

Prey Shaper "Master of the Hunt" ability added.

Page 19 (old 18):

Number of Ox rider now limited to 2 rather than 1.
Blood of the stalker option removed.

Page 20 (old 19)
Headhunter initial squad cost changed to 120
Headhunter points cost changed to 10 each.

Page 21 (old 20):

Stalker Price unit initial cost changed to 80 points
Stalker kindred changed to 12 points
Ambush ability updated

Page 23 (old 22):

Knarloc Riders herd cost initial changed to 90 points
Knarloc Rider shaper removed.
Melta bomb, frag and Krak grenades options for entire unit added
Extra weapons options added

Page 24 (old 23)

Great Knarloc "Greater" upgrade increased to 20 points.
Twin linked Kroot gun cost changed to 20 points.

Faultie
02-14-2010, 10:54 AM
No Relentless on Knarlocs (or Krootox)?