PDA

View Full Version : planetstrike now the dust has settled

ninja skills
09-14-2009, 01:02 PM
planetstrike has been out for a while now and i just wanted to see what people's views are on it after playing games of it for a while, stories, tactics, opinion, whatever

personally i love it and i've had many games of it now. favorite moments have to include, using the escape hatch stratagem to unleash a summond greater deamon into the middle of the attackers army sending deamons on the rampage and the first timeyou take a terminator army

i love how brutal the games are and the bodycount is always high

ps deamons are AMAZING in planetsrtike

Evil-Termite
09-14-2009, 02:29 PM
Planetstrike has been really fun for me. So far I've got a few thoughts on it.

- Having bastions is really important to the game so I had to buy some. I bought 5 bastions and 3 defense line sets. So far it seems to be a good number. Not so many that the defender overwhelms the attacker with free guns, but enough to give nice objectives and a good amount of return fire.

- WYSIWYG should be more strongly enforced for games of Planetstirke (My opinion of course). When you first start Planetstrike it isn't very fun going up against 6 wraithlords, or 9 carnifexes if you aren't used to that sort of thing. For that reason, I won't let my friends proxy things. Still, the different force org charts are really fun to use. I can now bring more crisis suits in my Tau army, and I can run my two land raiders and two predators all in the same game.

- The board is played as a "whole" rather than each person having a side. The defender can set up bastions and his/her models ALL over the board so I find we end up walking from side to side of the board a lot more often than normal. The other thing, is that when the defender is setting up the terrain, he/she doesn't know what edge the attacker will be coming on from. The farthest the "Scariest" bastion will be from a table edge is about 21". That means that a dreadnought or monstrous creature will almost always be able to get to be in base contact with that bastion by turn 2. Wow! As it goes, coming on from the table edge is often better than deep striking.

- I like bringing out my old models for this game. Assault marines aren't all that great anymore in normal 40K, but get some meltabombs on them using a strategem and they are lots of fun.

- Unfortunately, the downside seems to be the steep price of all the terrain. Because of that, no one at my LGS seems to be playing Planetstrike. Once I get my bastions and defense lines all painted up I'll start bringing them to the LGS to try to boost interest.

imperialsavant
09-14-2009, 07:19 PM
planetstrike has been out for a while now and i just wanted to see what people's views are on it after playing games of it for a while, stories, tactics, opinion, whatever

personally i love it and i've had many games of it now. favorite moments have to include, using the escape hatch stratagem to unleash a summond greater deamon into the middle of the attackers army sending deamons on the rampage and the first timeyou take a terminator army

i love how brutal the games are and the bodycount is always high

ps deamons are AMAZING in planetsrtike

:cool: Our Club has started playing "Trial" games to allow us to refine the rules as we found many queries as per a post I did a few weeks ago. However it is a fun scenario & plays quite differently to the standard scenarios with he different unit choices available.

Ming
09-14-2009, 08:56 PM
I have not played it. I was hoping the book would include some additional new characters but....:confused:

Sometime...

NealSmith
09-15-2009, 06:42 AM
We've only played one "official" game so far. It's OK and I think still have potential.

My biggest beef is that it is too easy to kill bastions. They just don't stay on the table long enough to justify setting them up! :)

ninja skills
09-15-2009, 10:19 AM
how many bastions do you use? 3-5 seems to work well for us (and maybe a bunker here or there) ok they don't always last that long but are still add something different to the game.

i agree with the point about using the whole borad in planetstrike it makes you look at the game diferently as attacker and defender

Evil-Termite
09-15-2009, 02:14 PM
My biggest beef is that it is too easy to kill bastions. They just don't stay on the table long enough to justify setting them up! The answer to this is to have more bastions on the table compared to the number of points in your games. 5 bastions last a good long while in a 1750 point game. When they are spread around, some will even stand up until the end of the game. Also, when they get blown up, we leave them on the table and allow infantry to stay sitting inside them as ruins.

You might also try running Planetstrike games with your normal lists where you don't have your army all hopped up to blow up static armor 14.

NealSmith
09-16-2009, 06:00 AM
The answer to this is to have more bastions on the table compared to the number of points in your games. 5 bastions last a good long while in a 1750 point game. When they are spread around, some will even stand up until the end of the game. Also, when they get blown up, we leave them on the table and allow infantry to stay sitting inside them as ruins.

You might also try running Planetstrike games with your normal lists where you don't have your army all hopped up to blow up static armor 14.
We pretty much were running our normal lists since noone had time to ramp them up. :)

I guess more bastions might work, but then that can (depending on how you play it...) up the number of objectives and thus up the power of the attack.

I do like the fact that the defender gets to use the whole entire board. It was the only way we could "survive" the onslaught. Defender's should keep as much off-board as possible.

We definitely need to play more.

Evil-Termite
09-16-2009, 09:01 AM
@NealSmith - Upping the number of bastions does allow the attacker easier access to get more objectives, but it also increases three other important things.

1) It increases the number of objectives for the attacker to win the game in most cases.

2) It increases the number of automated weapons available to the defender. I've found that the quad guns are WAY better than the lascannons because 4 twin linked shots at BS2 are way more likely to get a couple of hits. The rules are a bit tricky to understand on the quad guns. When you read them the first time, it looks like they can only fire at deep striking units but that's not correct. They ARE automated weapons that can be shot in the defender shooting phase and "MAY" be shot after the attacker deep strikes units. You can get 1 quad gun per objective so if you have 6 bastions, that's 6 quad guns which is about 12 strength 7 shots hitting per turn, and those things can shoot FAR!

3) It increases the number of bunkers for troops. These things work great for fire warriors because they can shoot out without having to get shot up. Any longer range shooty troops are great to stick in bastions.

NealSmith
09-16-2009, 10:58 AM
2) It increases the number of automated weapons available to the defender. I've found that the quad guns are WAY better than the lascannons because 4 twin linked shots at BS2 are way more likely to get a couple of hits. The rules are a bit tricky to understand on the quad guns. When you read them the first time, it looks like they can only fire at deep striking units but that's not correct. They ARE automated weapons that can be shot in the defender shooting phase and "MAY" be shot after the attacker deep strikes units. You can get 1 quad gun per objective so if you have 6 bastions, that's 6 quad guns which is about 12 strength 7 shots hitting per turn, and those things can shoot FAR!

We found this to be true also. It was also the only gun left alive at the end of the game! :)

Skyshield pads are useless, pretty much.

A quick question. Shooting at bastions/landing pads and things "on" them. If you shoot a plasma cannon (template weapon), for example, at a bastion/landing pad and you "hit" it. Do the results only go onto the bastion? Do they also affect any of the lascannon/quad guns/comms relays/etc. that might be on the "roof"? How about troops that might be on the roof? We were playing that it could affect everything, but the more I think about it, the more I think that's too powerful. You should either be shooting at the bastion/landing pad or the things on it. No rulebook handy, but I couldn't remember any rules about shooting at buildings per se...

Also, are the lascannons/quad guns/comm relays/etc. destroyed if they are on a bastion and the bastion is destroyed?

There are just a lot of "holes" in the rules and we weren't quite sure how to deal with some of these...

BTW, forgot to mention that we were still winning the game when we had to quit (turn 3). We still had all three objectives, they were just smoking holes in the ground... Thus the comment about hardly worth setting up the terrain! :)