PDA

View Full Version : Drop Pods & Valkyries

BAscrub
09-14-2009, 05:32 PM
I was at my local gaming club over the weekend and 2 questions came up, and I am not sure which is the correct answer.

When deep striking a drop pod, the scatter dice rol cause the pod to land off the table, would the guidance system keep it on the board or would you roll on the mishap table?

My thought was the guidance system only worked on terrain on the board, that if it deviated off, you would roll the mishap. Someone at the club stated no you would place it on the board edge where it deviated off.

Can a valkyrie ram another vehicle?

I say yes, but another member said no because its not a tank.

Thanks in advance,

The BA scrub

Culven
09-14-2009, 05:43 PM
Yes, a Drop Pod can scatter off the table. Inertial Guidance lists the conditions that will allow it to reduce scatter. Off the table is not one of them.

Only Tanks may Ram. A Valkyrie is not a Tank, so it cannot Ram (or Tank Shock).

Exitus Acta Probat
09-14-2009, 05:49 PM
Tank shock and ramming are restricted to vehicles that are qualified as a tank (or one that has wargear that qualifies it for doing so/as such)...so no, a valk/vendi cannot.

The confusion around Drop Pods is due to the nature of the table edge. It has been referred to/treated as impassible terrain before, so it throws a monkey wrench at people.

The actual wording for ds mishap is
"if any of the models in a deep striking unit cannot be deployed because they would land off the table, in impassible terrain, on top of a friendly model or within 1" of an enemy...."

inertial guidance
"should a drop pod scatter on top of impassable terrain or another model (friend or foe) then reduce the scatter distance..." no mention of leaving the board.

***ninja'd by culven***

TSINI
09-14-2009, 05:50 PM
i have no idea on the drop pod i'm afraid.

on the subject of non-tanks ramming, apparently its in the rulebook, but i havent bothered to check it myself.

there was a thread on it but i can't find that either. but yeah apparently only tanks can ram, i dissagree because i think ork buggies would love to ram things... but i can see why this would be a rule because otherwise yes, valkyries would be ramming into things, not very realisitic.

Culven
09-14-2009, 05:57 PM
I think that it would be fun to allow non-Tanks to Ram. Maybe with a -1 to strength since they don't have the mass. I would be perfectly happy letting Ork Buggies splatter themselves against my Armour.

ninja skills
09-15-2009, 10:25 AM
ramming is in the tank section of the rulebook not in the generic vehicle rules so no ramming i'm afraid, not that ramming seems to ever work tho. i've tried several times and it just doesn't seem to be a viable option really

Aldramelech
09-15-2009, 10:47 AM
I'll let you ram my stuff with your Valk, providing it gets removed straight away.

Vulture
09-16-2009, 07:27 AM
If only tanks can ram stuff - why is there an extra bonus of +1 for being a tank when calculating the strength of the hit?

Vulture

Jwolf
09-16-2009, 08:20 AM
If only tanks can ram stuff - why is there an extra bonus of +1 for being a tank when calculating the strength of the hit?

Vulture

Because tanks can ram other vehicles that are not tanks.

Culven
09-16-2009, 09:15 AM
Since only Tanks can Ram another Vehicle, they will always gain that bonus. The Vehicle they Ram will also hit them back, and will only gain the bonus if it is also a Tank.

dnomrah
04-17-2010, 12:33 PM
Not to cause thread necromany here but, a friend and I were discussing the idea of a skimmer tank (IE: Hammerhead) ramming a Vendetta.

addamsfamily36
04-17-2010, 12:42 PM
ramming is in the tank section of the rulebook not in the generic vehicle rules so no ramming i'm afraid, not that ramming seems to ever work tho. i've tried several times and it just doesn't seem to be a viable option really

Oh ramming is one of my favourite thigns to do once my uits have disembarked from their rhinos. specially as now that my Blood angels can move 18 inches :D

Against vehicles i have had mixed results but against troops its a great way of herding. by tank shocking i managed to steer a unit closer to my heavy flamer and well those dark eldar didnt know what hit em, irst a tank then a wall of fire. :D

Culven
04-17-2010, 05:14 PM
Not to cause thread necromany here but, a friend and I were discussing the idea of a skimmer tank (IE: Hammerhead) ramming a Vendetta.
Was there a question that you had about it?

Tynskel
04-17-2010, 09:41 PM

Hah! Of course it is supposed to only work rarely: the rule book states that Ramming is a Desperate maneuver!

Dorsai
04-17-2010, 10:10 PM
Dnomrah's friend here. We were wondering if a skimmer tank can ram a Valk. I mean trying to ram a Valk with a LR seems kind of pointless given how for up in the air the Valk sits. But the Hammerhead is a skimmer so it might be able to get up far enought to hit it. We just aren't sure how, or if, it would work.

Nabterayl
04-17-2010, 10:15 PM
Ramming a Valkyrie works just like ramming other skimmer. The Valkyrie gets a 3+ "save" against the ramming attack, by virtue of being a skimmer (just like any other skimmer), but otherwise it can be rammed normally - even by a non-skimmer tank such as a Land Raider. Yes, this is kind of weird, since even flying nap-of-the-earth a Valkyrie would be way too high for a regular tank to ram. It's a consequence of the Valkyrie not being classified as a flyer (unless, of course, you're playing Apocalypse, in which case it is a flyer that can become a skimmer - and if a skimmer, even in Apocalypse, could still be rammed).

Culven
04-17-2010, 10:36 PM
Also keep in mind that Skimmers don't really move at elevations. Just because the Valkyrie is on a tall stand, that doesn't mean that it is untouchable by ground-based units. They can be assualted and rammed by measuring to the base of the stand as well as the hull, per the Skimmer rules.

Tynskel
04-17-2010, 11:01 PM
Ramming a Valkyrie works just like ramming other skimmer. The Valkyrie gets a 3+ "save" against the ramming attack, by virtue of being a skimmer (just like any other skimmer), but otherwise it can be rammed normally - even by a non-skimmer tank such as a Land Raider. Yes, this is kind of weird, since even flying nap-of-the-earth a Valkyrie would be way too high for a regular tank to ram. It's a consequence of the Valkyrie not being classified as a flyer (unless, of course, you're playing Apocalypse, in which case it is a flyer that can become a skimmer - and if a skimmer, even in Apocalypse, could still be rammed).

The idea of a Land Raider ramming a skimmer is that the skimmer is close to the ground, at the moment--- could be low for all sorts of reasons--- staying below radar of flyers, keeping below ack ack fire angle-- or the simple one in the case of Valkyries-- dropping troops off.