PDA

View Full Version : where's the love for Infinity?

darklament
01-25-2012, 10:15 AM
Just curious why you folks here don't cover Infinity AT ALL? It is the hottest thing in our gamestore in Seattle & it's growing in leaps & bounds the more people that find out about it or watch a game being played. The second book Human Sphere sells out each time they print it. And there minis are amazing.

So you'll cover something old school like Dark Age but not Infinity? Why you be hating so?

=darklament

wittdooley
01-25-2012, 11:13 AM
Don't get me wrong; I like Infinity. I Like the models quite a bit (even if some are quite fiddly). But, as with any small, very niche game, the popularity of it is very regionally dependent. Can't get anyone to play in Cincinnati.

It is what it is. Write your own article and submit it here if you'd like. I'll read it!

darklament
02-02-2012, 05:19 PM
Nope, I don't buy that argument. This game's popularity is growing all over & I think until one of the main contributors to this blog starts playing it, we won't be seeing any coverage. I know plenty of people who bought Dystopian Wars, but no one who is actively playing it in my area.

Oh well, I'll just come here for 40k & warmahordes coverage & stick to the Infinity forums for my infinity fix.

-Jefferson

wittdooley
02-02-2012, 10:11 PM
How can you not buy that argument? The majority if BoLS contributors are texas base- hence regionality. Even if the "popularity is growing all over" as you say, the game still remains a small, niche game.

energongoodie
02-03-2012, 01:36 AM
I've got the models and I've got the rules. I'm just missing someone to play with :(

Chronowraith
02-06-2012, 11:37 PM
I agree with Witt on this one. Infinity is a great game with a wonderful aesthetic (well, if you like anime-ish stuff). I myself have a 500 point Nomad group and a 500 point Haqqislam group. However, the game is regional at best.

In the midwest it was real big right around the time of the release of Human Sphere. Around that time I could bring my Infinity stuff up to the store and get a pick-up game pretty much any day of the week. Now? I have to schedule games in advance with friends I know. The store doesn't even stock the game anymore (although they will order it if you ask).

Now, that's MY region. It may be doing fantastic up in Seattle or even up in Chicago, but here in the midwest (St. Louis area), the game doesn't see much regular play in stores.

Stad
03-05-2012, 04:07 PM
Our group has 8-10 players and about 500 points per multiple army. Its pretty healthy, but I think the way to make sure that happens is terrain building projects... good access to terrain will help with games...

We play once to twice a week...

drake2.0
03-05-2012, 06:19 PM
we've had a few campaigns running at our lgs here in atlanta. its really easy to get into (ie getting 2 demo forces) and everything is online. shouldnt be too hard to convince someone to try it out

sonicReducer
03-06-2012, 03:47 AM
I'm really itching to start with Infinity, absolutely love the Ariadna range. Still need to read through the rules. Have found a club that has quite a few Infinity players near where I work, although at the moment I have evening classes on the nights they play >.<

JMGraham
03-13-2012, 12:46 PM
If it's regional, then I'm glad I'm in the Pacific NW! We just wrapped up a 3 month campaign (I believe we had 8 players) here in Bellingham. Marvelous, marvelous game!

Hendybadger
03-14-2012, 04:03 PM
The game is starting to pick up in SW UK and I would love to see some info about it on BOLS

chromedog
03-15-2012, 11:16 PM
My region has around 40 players at the moment - and the local dealer can't restock quick enough.

I have 6 other players in one of my regular clubs. Another club just started up has another 10-12 players, and a neighbouring club (30-40 minutes away) has another 22 players.

Haqqislam and Combine are the most popular, with Yu-jing (JSA) and Ariadna just behind them. Pan O and Aleph are bringing up the rear.

Kilcin
03-19-2012, 10:18 AM
My gaming group in South Cali recently agreed to pick this game up and are loving it. We have a PanO player, Yujing, Haqqislam, Combined Army and two Nomad players. There is also an Ariadna player in town, but his work schedule and family life atm make it really hard to get a game in with him.

Obergrot
03-22-2012, 03:17 AM
similar here. We had an active group some time ago and now a new group starts and, well, we are already about 6-8 players who just started.
So, the game is easily to start, but you need
1) the terrain (!)
2) some people to learn the rules with

otherwise the game won´t really start. And, well, the critical mass. Like in any hobby