PDA

View Full Version : the Unit artillery

heretic marine
01-25-2012, 07:11 PM
me and my friend were discussing the artillery unit. the main thing we were talking about is if it can go up terrain. it says in the book that it is slowed when moving through but it says nothing of going up it. we have lots of city buildings and he wanted to deploy an arty unit on top of a building and we could not find if he had the place it there.

Shadoq
01-25-2012, 09:17 PM
Don't see any issue with DEPLOYING on the terrain.
Don't have the rulebook in front of me but you would at LEAST need to take a difficult terrain check when moving out.

heretic marine
01-25-2012, 09:24 PM
ok, so the next question is if your not deploying on terrain can you still move up it.

plasticaddict
01-25-2012, 10:25 PM
Changing levels in ruins is treated the same as moving through terrain. If you unit can move through terrain and isn't excluded from changing levels (like cavalry or beasts) then you should have no trouble changing levels.

thecactusman17
01-25-2012, 10:26 PM
You can't move up terrain. Vehicles (except Walkers and skimmers) cannot go up or down multi-level terrain.

I would suggest working out any rules for deploying or moving into terrain with your opponent. A stationary artillery unit on elevated terrain, even a building, is a tactic that has real world applications. In WW2, several famous battles revolved around taking out artillery units on top of hills and structures. By all means, put it up there, but make sure you both work out whether the unit can come back down or if it's stuck there.

Wolfshade
01-26-2012, 06:50 AM
You can't move up terrain... I would suggest working out any rules for deploying or moving into terrain with your opponent.

The deploying isn't an issue, and fluff wise is easy to account for, the artillery spotter has found a great location to deploy which the engineers have shored up to be able to take the weight of the piece.

I wonder if the Cities of Death have special rules for it, maybe a stratagem

As for the house rule you'll have to agree with your opponent as enabling you to move the artillery up and down would make it harder for your opponent to surround and take out the crew. There are lots of historical examples where fixed artillery ends up as prizes as they can't be moved away from an advancing enemy.

Maybe have something like:
Roll for a dangerous terrain test and if successful the artillery unit may move directly up or down one level but may not perform any voluntary actions for the rest of the player turn

Or

An artillery piece is too heavy to be relocated up and down different levels with just the gun crew. If you want to move an artillery piece an infantry unit must be within 2" at the start of the player turn. Both the crew and the artillery unit are too concentrated on moving the guns that they cannot perform any other voluntary action this turn. If the piece is moved in this way it is treated as infantry (3" per level moved with the remaining 3" to move the piece on the new level), and the artillery piece, gun crew and unit moving it must finish there move still maintaining coherency

heretic marine
01-26-2012, 02:08 PM
thanks guys.