PDA

View Full Version : Chaos Bikers?

mercer
09-15-2009, 05:23 AM
Besides being overcosted, any thoughts? I'm thinking of using two units of them to go with my Emperors Children :cool:

Dosadi
09-15-2009, 06:47 AM
I don’t think they are too over-costed. They are not my first choice in fast attack (Raptors) but their points cost is appropriate IMO.
I have a unit of 7 with IoN. AssChamp with Pfist and 2 plasmaguns. It’s an expensive squadron for sure, but they do their job and most small arms fire bounces off their Toughness of 6. I tried meltaguns, but found they weren’t much of threat until I got in really close. Plasma takes full advantage of Relentless and they are great for light vehicle hunting, harassing a flank or taking out exposed enemy units. They are also a great distraction as they soak up a lot of high Strength shooting that is not targeting my land raider full of ‘zerkers.
Since you are doing EC I imagine you will be putting an IoS on the unit. This has the advantage of being the most cost efficient Icon and makes the unit good for launching an assault as they will strike before other MEQs. In that case I’m not sure I’d take any special weapons as you give up your bonus attack when you take ‘em. Since you seem to think they are expensive, this will also let you be more economical by not kitting them out. Just give your AssChamp a Power sword (and maybe meltabombs) and use them as a shock assault unit. But in that case I think Raptors with IoS are better in that role. So it really depends what sort of mission parameters you expect the bikers to fulfill.

Dosadi

mercer
09-15-2009, 09:59 AM
33 points worth it per bike when imperials are 25?

Meltaguns should get in range pretty quick bikes move 12" or 24" and can still fire if move 12" lol.

I'm not sure about MoS, I do like MoN - btw I don't always go on background, just what makes my units survive the best in case you was wondering.

dante
09-15-2009, 10:06 AM
Chaos Bikers are expensive compared to Space Marine Bikes, but given the IoN they are an extremely difficult unit to destroy (T6 says it all really!). I field 8 of them with two melta guns, champ w/ power fist and IoN and use them for tank hunting, and they are pretty damn good at it too! I also have a lesser used Lord on bike with MoN and Daemon Weapon; team these units together and you have an awesome anti-monstrous creature unit, IMO

Dosadi
09-15-2009, 10:14 AM
33 points worth it per bike when imperials are 25?

For those 8 points you get an extra attack thanks to BP&CCW and Ld9. IMO it's worth it.

Meltaguns should get in range pretty quick bikes move 12" or 24" and can still fire if move 12" lol.

I used to run meltas, but I always found I wanted to keep my bikes back a bit or on my flanks and strike where I needed them. I like to use them to react to my opponent, not spearhead an assault. So I switched to plasmaguns and found they were able to hang back and support my flanks/rear and were fast enough to get where I needed them later in the game while still providing me with some high S and good AP shots.

I'm not sure about MoS, I do like MoN - btw I don't always go on background, just what makes my units survive the best in case you was wondering.

Fair enough. In that case I would go with IoN. You pay a premium for it but T6 makes them very durable. Again it depends on what role you want them to perform. The only Icon not worth taking at all is Tzeentch.

Dosadi

mercer
09-16-2009, 05:09 AM
For those 8 points you get an extra attack thanks to BP&CCW and Ld9. IMO it's worth it.

I used to run meltas, but I always found I wanted to keep my bikes back a bit or on my flanks and strike where I needed them. I like to use them to react to my opponent, not spearhead an assault. So I switched to plasmaguns and found they were able to hang back and support my flanks/rear and were fast enough to get where I needed them later in the game while still providing me with some high S and good AP shots.

Fair enough. In that case I would go with IoN. You pay a premium for it but T6 makes them very durable. Again it depends on what role you want them to perform. The only Icon not worth taking at all is Tzeentch.

Dosadi

You get ld9 and bolt pistol & ccw usually with a chaos marines for 15 points, so for 18 points extra you get t5 and move 12", hmmmmm thats a bit of a cost if you ask me.

I would only consider melta seems they can be fast anti tank unit.

Mark of nurgle seems the best one here. I'll probably take it :o

boo_barr
09-16-2009, 11:27 PM
You get ld9 and bolt pistol & ccw usually with a chaos marines for 15 points, so for 18 points extra you get t5 and move 12", hmmmmm thats a bit of a cost if you ask me.

I would only consider melta seems they can be fast anti tank unit.

Mark of nurgle seems the best one here. I'll probably take it :o

Don't leave out the twin-linked bolter on every bike. so, for 8 pts more than SM, CSM get a twin-linked bolter, an extra attack, Ld9. That seems to be a very fair trade; in fact I'd consider the bikes cheap. They get expensive when you start adding marks, but it's often worth the points.

Khorne: Bikers will have 4 attacks on the charge
Slaanesh: Bikers can move, rapid fire(twin-linked), assault and still attack before their opponent(usually)
Tzeentch: Invuln 5 makes them no longer as susceptible to special weapons fire
Nurgle: A unit of T6 guys that have awesome mobility and fire-power

mercer
09-17-2009, 05:56 AM
Errrr space marine bikes have a twin linked bolter and the sgt which comes with the unit is ld9 ;) .

boo_barr
09-17-2009, 02:26 PM
Errrr space marine bikes have a twin linked bolter and the sgt which comes with the unit is ld9 ;) .

Really? Erm, my bad. Ah well, so we're 8 pts more and all we get is an extra attack. The option to then add marks makes it worth the extra pts. I don't usually run anything but Tzeentch or Nurgle on them (more often Nurgle).

Inquisitor Malaclypse
09-18-2009, 01:34 AM
i love Chaos bikers. i have Death Guard list that i've dubbed 'the Plaguewind' because it has two units of 8 bikers with champ., PF, and two meltas, and MoN. this set up is intended to go fast toward a tank and kill it with either two melt shots or slap it with the PF, and since it has such a high toughness, it should survive most shots.

not to mention a 3+ invul. if i flat out with these guys.

all of the marks are good with bikers, and while MoN makes the unit uber expensive, no one thinks of Nurgle lists as fast.

i think my second pick would be MoS. I5 and T5 = nasty. i'd take 6-10 of these guys w/meltas (again to hunt tanks, but more for MEQ's on this one) and LC on the champ.

Nabterayl
09-18-2009, 10:45 AM
not to mention a 3+ invul. if i flat out with these guys.

3+ cover save. Check page 76.

Duke
09-18-2009, 11:07 AM
He is right, it is a cover save not an Invuln... Fear flamers! lol

Inquisitor Malaclypse
09-18-2009, 12:04 PM
yes he is...remind me to post earlier in the day and when not on meds...i knew it was a cover save, not invul.

but damn, i've yet to see any one run down a bunch of bikers with a flame template weapon.

i guess Hellhounds could do it?

Xas
09-18-2009, 01:19 PM
He is right, it is a cover save not an Invuln... Fear flamers! lol

yeah fear all those 5(6 with luck) flamers out there that ignore 3+ armor :)

mercer
09-21-2009, 03:56 AM
I don't think I'm going for bikers now, but thanks for the input!